CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Looks like cbcs missed one..9298

Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your torch party. Do you need a light?

No, CBCS is very good at providing lights and kindling themselves.

Please give CBCS a chance to get to the bottom of this.

I know the internet gives everyone a chance to knee-jerk react to anything that angers or freaks them out, but please, folks, let's allow them a chance to explain what happened and handle it before people start jumping to conclusions.

The worst thing about the internet is that public opinion can reach a "torch and pitchfork level" before it's even warranted. Think about how you'd want to see things handled if YOU were the one who made a mistake. And I'm sure it wouldn't be with people bashing you or your credibility on social media.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk

I know the internet gives everyone a chance to knee-jerk react to anything that angers or freaks them out, but please, folks, let's allow them a chance to explain what happened and handle it before people start jumping to conclusions.

The worst thing about the internet is that public opinion can reach a "torch and pitchfork level" before it's even warranted. Think about how you'd want to see things handled if YOU were the one who made a mistake. And I'm sure it wouldn't be with people bashing you or your credibility on social media.

Hi, Paint_Monk. Thanks for your comment. I believe you missed my point, though. If CBCS is certain the books were examined by hand, then they should say that. I've never claimed to believe otherwise. My underlying point is the same as yours: people out there will pile on, and the impression is left long before the official comment is made.

You have to push back on social media, forcefully, politely, and immediately, when your reputation is tarnished. Ignoring the comments and concern is just shooting yourself in the foot. And, it is worrisome that CBCS CAN'T immediately squash the speculation that their graders skipped the whole grading process and just eyeballed a comic through the bag. If they were sure, why on earth would they not say so right away?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Hi, Paint_Monk. Thanks for your comment. I believe you missed my point, though. If CBCS is certain the books were examined by hand, then they should say that. I've never claimed to believe otherwise. My underlying point is the same as yours: people out there will pile on, and the impression is left long before the official comment is made.

You have to push back on social media, forcefully, politely, and immediately, when your reputation is tarnished. Ignoring the comments and concern is just shooting yourself in the foot. And, it is worrisome that CBCS CAN'T immediately squash the speculation that their graders skipped the whole grading process and just eyeballed a comic through the bag. If they were sure, why on earth would they not say so right away?

Hi, Tedsaid. I'm a newbie to CBCS and I'm limited to one submission and a second one now in the pipeline of many more comics. Please don't take my comments or thoughts as a criticism of you specifically or anyone else here who is concerned over this particular situation.

Before I became a religious, I worked in online retail for awhile and was responsible for customer service issues much like this. Rest assured, I am not an employee of nor do I know anyone personally who works for CBCS.

That being said, the internet can be the best friend of a company or its worst enemy. When a major issue arises, I have no doubt that management is running around trying to figure out how the heck something like this could happen - and I don't blame them for not issuing an immediate response. I am certain they are looking at all angles and will issue some sort of response once they've gotten to the bottom of what occurred. I think they are being very responsible by not speculating anything at this point, as even one small post of mistaken observation will result in even more harsh criticism of a situation I am sure they never wanted to happen in the first place.

On the other hand, if they don't address this at some point in the immediate future, I think all of the frustrated responses and concern would be certainly warranted.

Thanks for your polite and considerate response, and remember, this is just one monk's humble opinion.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your torch party. Do you need a light?

No - although I do miss those days. Where did you serve?

just stating the obvious
Post 79 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Hi, Tedsaid. I'm a newbie to CBCS and I'm limited to one submission and a second one now in the pipeline of many more comics.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:

Please don't take my comments or thoughts as a criticism of you specifically or anyone else here who is concerned over this particular situation.

I didn't, but I appreciate your clarification.

Quote:
I have no doubt that management is running around trying to figure out how the heck something like this could happen - and I don't blame them for not issuing an immediate response.

I disagree. I think it is telling that they can't issue some sort of immediate response. But I'm okay that we disagree on that one. I understand why they would wait and gather more information; I just think that's wrongheaded.
Post 80 IP   flag post

It is also very interesting to learn that the CBCS grading process seem to differ a lot from CGC. If I understand Steve correctly, then the starting point for each grader is the grade assigned by the pervious (more junior grader). I would think that this increases the risk that the graders influence eachother.

From CGC website the process is described as each grader independently grade the book without knowing the grade provided by other graders, thereafter compare and decide on the final grade.

Guess each process has their pro and cons

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
It is also very interesting to learn that the CBCS grading process seem to differ a lot from CGC. If I understand Steve correctly, then the starting point for each grader is the grade assigned by the pervious (more junior grader). I would think that this increases the risk that the graders influence eachother.

From CGC website the process is described as each grader independently grade the book without knowing the grade provided by other graders, thereafter compare and decide on the final grade.

I noticed that discrepancy as well. I don't think that's what Steve meant. At least, I assume it's not. The notes can carry over from grader to grader without them actually being able to look at the previous grader's notes, and I assume that's what he meant, rather than each grader reads what the previous grader put down before determining a grade. After they have those notes from the first two graders, then the finalizer grades the book, then reads the other grades and notes, then determines the final grade from all of that. If they are too far apart, they get another grader to look at it, and repeat until a consensus is made.

Or something like that. Someone with more knowledge of the process will probably correct that if it's wrong, but that's my current understanding, based on what others have said and what Bronte quoted from the CBCS site.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
If I understand Steve correctly, then the starting point for each grader is the grade assigned by the pervious (more junior grader). I would think that this increases the risk that the graders influence each other.

I disagree. My experience has been you likely have more less experienced people than you have seasoned veterans. You likely pay your seasoned people higher salaries, and they should be more vested in the companies success and overall product its tied to.

You want your most experienced (likely higher paid) experts reviewing the work of their peers as they are likely more efficient at catching missed or incorrect details and can mentor the less experienced upon critiquing their work.

If it’s the other way around you’ll have some kid hired off the street thinking “he’s the expert...what reason do I have to question him?” And just passing the product along the pipeline contributing nothing and learning nothing as well....while collecting a paycheck.

Every business I’ve known operates with the most experienced people reviewing the end product. That’s why they get paid the most as the companies success lies very much with them.
Post 83 IP   flag post
@Drogio as said there are pro and cons.

Having a more senior person review the work of a less experienced person is a more efficient process - however if the less experienced person makes a mistake it is less likely that the senior person would catch it through review, instead of independently assess without knowing the result, ie reperform.

There is a reason why judges at eg a boxing match provides scores independently instead of the less experienced judge provides his score first, which would then be reviewed by a more experienced judge etc.
Post 84 IP   flag post
An update on the issue.

It seems to me the original customer is misconstruing the situation here. But it was probably a bone-head mistake by CBCS to make it even sound like they won't fix it or pay for the error unless the person spends more money first.

Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Hey folks, this is a standard company reply. I had a similar problem and received this message, I in turn told then that I had no books to send in for the foreseeable future and they in turn told me to just return it with documentation; the problem was solved and the shipping cost to CBCS were given back in the form of credit. My book is now correctly labelled and in my possession with no cost to me.
Post 86 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It seems to me that he is more interested in his fifteen minutes of fame than he is in getting his book fixed.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
It appears to be a knee-jerk reaction by the OP and some subsequent repliers and not carefully reading the suggestion form CBCS representative/standard-form response. Nowhere does the CBCS response indicate that further fees should be paid as a prerequisite, merely a proposition that the book should be attached to a submission. Admittedly this would save CBCS the cost of shipping to them for the one book in question, but that would be the limit of their savings: sounds reasonable?
Post 88 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@RRO Yeah, I got the same response when I had a label issue not too long ago but they still took it, quickly fixed/shipped it for free, and reimbursed me the shipping to them.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Hey folks, this is a standard company reply. I had a similar problem and received this message, I in turn told then that I had no books to send in for the foreseeable future and they in turn told me to just return it with documentation; the problem was solved and the shipping cost to CBCS were given back in the form of credit. My book is now correctly labelled and in my possession with no cost to me.

THIS should be the initial response. Period. I would think assuming every customer they speak to is a devoted slab junkie could be a real turn off to those of us who are on the bubble as to which company to use when/if we decide to slab something.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I would think assuming every customer they speak to is a devoted slab junkie could be a real turn off to those of us who are on the bubble as to which company to use when/if we decide to slab something.

Yeah, I agree ... this sort of response is ripe for mischaracterization, whether deliberate or not. Why not be clear: if it's our mistake, we'll pay for everything?

CBCS loves shooting themselves in the foot, don't they? They took an offer for a free upgrade to fast pass for the guy's next submission, and turned it into a liability. (With help, it must be said, from the o.p.)
Post 91 IP   flag post
The more important question though if CBCS really screwed up with the book - how?
Post 92 IP   flag post
CBCS Kendra_H private msg quote post Address this user
We have asked the customer to return this book, either alone or with a future order so we can check this out.

It does not have to be with another order, as we would see what was going on with this issue.
Post 93 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Kendra_H Thanks for the response! I’ve been using CBCS since they started and even I was taken aback by the “submit with your next order” customer service response.

I think the wording on that response can be reworked a little so that it’s immediately clear that the customer can still return the erroneous book(s) on its own and not just with another order.
Post 94 IP   flag post
CBCS Kendra_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Kendra_H Thanks for the response! I’ve been using CBCS since they started and even I was taken aback by the “submit with your next order” customer service response.

I think the wording on that response can be reworked a little so that it’s immediately clear that the customer can still return the erroneous book(s) on its own and not just with another order.

we may need to, as this was just a option, and not a requirement.

If CBCS makes a mistake we will always fix it for our customers.

Apologies for any confusion from the wording and thanks!
Post 95 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t been around here in a while but it looks like the same old same old. Take a bad situation, fumble around to make it worse, then finally arrive at the proper response when it’s far too late to matter at that point.

CBCS Has always been super fast at fixing grading mistakes. Now the general public thinks the opposite. That 5-10 book comment was nothing short of retarded, especially given that this error has media coverage.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
...it looks like the same old same old.

Times two.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I haven’t been around here in a while but it looks like the same old same old. Take a bad situation, fumble around to make it worse, then finally arrive at the proper response when it’s far too late to matter at that point.

CBCS Has always been super fast at fixing grading mistakes. Now the general public thinks the opposite. That 5-10 book comment was nothing short of retarded, especially given that this error has media coverage.

The Facebook post with cbcs’s reply seems like it was meant to stir the pot. The owner of the book offers nothing to what took place prior to the response. There are always two sides.

For example, did the owner ask cbcs if he could send the books in with his next order of anywhere from 5-10 books? OrDid the owner ask if he could send the book separately?

“Feels” like the owner has a pitch fork aimed and looking for social media support/permission to start poking without first asking basic questions for clarity. That’s what I see first and foremost...portions of a whole story and all of it Originating from one side.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

The Facebook post with cbcs’s reply seems like it was meant to stir the pot. The owner of the book offers nothing to what took place prior to the response. There are always two sides.

For example, did the owner ask cbcs if he could send the books in with his next order of anywhere from 5-10 books? OrDid the owner ask if he could send the book separately?

“Feels” like the owner has a pitch fork aimed and looking for social media support/permission to start poking without first asking basic questions for clarity. That’s what I see first and foremost...portions of a whole story and all of it Originating from one side.

It feels that way to me, too. The email was certainly worded badly. I agree 100% with Shrewbeer on that. But the owner also mischaracterized it in a couple key ways. He is jumping to negative conclusions, and not based on anything that was said by CBCS.

CBCS's mistake was giving him ample opportunity to do that.
Post 99 IP   flag post
If I were CBCS, I would give him a generous deadline in which to return the book. Once that passes, he would be on his own. To his benefit, CBCS will probably be nicer than I would be at this point.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure this makes a difference...

There's no date on that response by CBCS, but if I'm remembering correctly, the same "Send it back with your next submission" message was given to at least 2 other people a few months ago when they had an issue with their books.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra_H
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

we may need to, as this was just a option, and not a requirement.

If CBCS makes a mistake we will always fix it for our customers.

Apologies for any confusion from the wording and thanks!

I find it odd this is even in question.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
So, last night the guy connects with someone from CBCS and it all gets worked out. This was through a FB group. Great!!! After I thought it was all said and done, he posted this.

This surprised me because he has stated that he has submitted over 100 comics to CGC and has gotten nothing less than a 9.4. Plus, he says he has multiples of the comic in question. I guess that I figured he was a dealer. But it appears that even for CBCS, he sends books in through someone else. IMO, this just adds another layer where something could have gone wrong and neither the op nor CBCS would know. I'm not saying anything did, but it raises the possibility.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the whole situation is ridiculous because it seems like people now go to social media to vent about a problem before letting the person/business who caused the mistake time to address or solve the problem. There is no business in the world that has not made errors. Human error is going to happen -- and CGC is not immune, either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying an error -- any errors should be fixed -- but it's not like CBCS has said that it wouldn't fix the error. And as frustrating as an error is for us collectors, it's not like this error caused an injury or somehow affected this guy's life beyond the inconvenience of having to send the book back to have the error corrected.

You folks can probably guess what I do for a living based on my username, and in the grand scheme of things, as much as this guy doesn't want to hear it -- it's not the end of the world. If CBCS made a mistake -- they can fix it, and it appears that they've offered to do so.

I suppose people can argue about how CBCS responded to the guy, but the fact remains that this guy decided to rant about what happened before giving CBCS a full opportunity to resolve the matter. They haven't even had a chance to get the book back in order to figure what happened and how to fix it, and here he is blowing up on the internet.

But hey, if he wants to take the "scorched earth" approach and have a meltdown online, he's free to do so. I'm sure he'll never use CBCS again, but I wonder what he'll do when CGC makes a mistake on one of his books. I guess there's always PGX for him....
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I agree complaining to the world on social media on trivial mistakes is silly ..

But honestly, this error is pretty darn funny and worthy of a share ...
Post 105 IP   flag post
601451 116 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?