Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

blunted gloss question929

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
There is a way to return some gloss to a book in small areas like you showed without detection. I have a relative who has been doing restoration for decades who gave me some insight. I'll get the details when I see her in a few weeks and if this subject comes up again I'll explain what I learn.

That would be some great info, it would help the resto experts at CBCS detect it better.

Hope so. So unfortunate to hear people trying to deceive collectors.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love to hear how it's done too. Recently I had a resto issue with a less than scrupulous dealer.
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There is a way to return some gloss to a book in small areas like you showed without detection. I have a relative who has been doing restoration for decades who gave me some insight. I'll get the details when I see her in a few weeks and if this subject comes up again I'll explain what I learn.

It is a rather simple process. Impossible to detect if done right.
Post 28 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Went and saw aunt (30+ year book restorer) She showed me what and how to use the product some artists use to put a gloss on their paintings. Its an acrylic medium, it comes in gloss and matte. Its easy to use, mainly to blend leather surfaces. Her specialty is extremely old books and documents.
With that being said. You wouldn't use it straight out of the bottle on a comic or magazine. There is a technique she taught me last week that seemed to work superbly on some old magazines I had. Another issue is the older you go on a book, magszine, or comic you need to research what type of paper and if the book even had gloss on it or not when originally made. Obviously newer comics are glossy and on the mags we did it on it was quite easy and not detectable even uder a black light or other lights and angles.
It's not appropriate to explain how to use it or the techniques when applying it for a variety of reasons. One being I wouldn't want to have someone try it and screw up their books. Second, it's best done by a professional to insure it's done properly as application involves quantity applied, thinning of material to be applied, room temp to make a smoothing affect, so it's not standing out like a sore thumb once dry etc...For me it was easy to learn because of who taught me, but it's not just as simple as slapping it on and calling it good.
Lastly people have businesses to restore books and conserve them so I wouldn't want to take business away from people who put the time in to learn restoration techniques.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
So if done right, you wouldn't be able to determine it anyway?
Post 30 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh722
So if done right, you wouldn't be able to determine it anyway?

Right for the most part. She is going to tell me and show me techniques for finding other restoration this week. That in itself is and art form to detect it properly.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
@jmh722

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

It is a rather simple process. Impossible to detect if done right.
Post 32 IP   flag post
596798 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?