Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

He who doesn't draw feet is refusing to sign New mutants 98 Facsimile?9254

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that this thread exists secures his relevance in the current landscape. All he has to do is say "I'm not signing such and such" and then we're all talking about him and he is relevant again. He doesn't even have to mean it, he just has to say it and the news cycle is all about him.

Sounds creepily familiar to someone else:

"I'm enacting tariffs on Mexico!" the news goes nuts. Then the next day when the story has died down: "I don't think I'll enact tariffs on Mexico."
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
The fact that this thread exists secures his relevance in the current landscape. All he has to do is say "I'm not signing such and such" and then we're all talking about him and he is relevant again. He doesn't even have to mean it, he just has to say it and the news cycle is all about him.

Sounds creepily familiar to someone else:

"I'm enacting tariffs on Mexico!" the news goes nuts. Then the next day when the story has died down: "I don't think I'll enact tariffs on Mexico."
Amazing analogy....thanks for that!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I bet at least Art Linkletter was willing to sign his own book though...just saying

Even the later editions, reprinted without his consent?!

Sounds reasonable.
umm yes, if its a direct reprint of his original work, why would there be some problem? Most people who publish printed work know beforehand or even contractually accept the possibility/probability that their work may be reprinted or even used in a collection of some type later.

My chosen artist Jewel for instance has written an published multiple books, either of poetry, or her life experiences . Several have reached multiple printings....but she does not sit and whine and fuss over signing them . Same with cd's of her music....they are continually getting re-released....she signs them because she gets that its a service to her supporters who have helped her where she is.

She probably takes this view to a higher level, she is also known for allowing people to patch into the soundboard at her concerts and record and save those as well. She also often arranges carpools for people to get to and from her shows...…….I guess I am just missing the point here, but why would Liefield care if they reprint his work, rather than viewing it as an endorsement of that and opening the door for him to receive further monetary gain by signing or offering these as signed and graded books?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Who is buying and reading Major X? I don't know a single person who has a copy in their reading pile or personal collection.
This was my question. I know people buying the first issue in spec. I don't know anyone actually reading the thing
I've never met Liefeld or got his sig so I can't speak to him in person. The one chance I had to get his sig, it was $100 to meet him that included one sig. Each additional was $55.00 unless you got a "key book" signed in which case the $55.00 would go towards the signing fee. Pretty sure it was $85.00 for New Mutants 98.
I find it strange he's acting like he owns this property. I also think it's odd he seems to be taking credit for the popularity of the character's personality. He created the character by straight-up ripping off Deathstroke. Nicieza wrote the initial books and came up with the name Wade Wilson after seeing the initial art and saying "You've drawn deathstroke here". Most of his personality was developed much later and I would say by the Joe Kelly/McGuinnes series in 1997. Did he work on the 1993 mini-series? Nope. 1994? Nope...1997? Nope. For something that his responsibility began and ended with ripping off George Perez, this is all very overblown. Still, Liefeld is free to do whatever he wants. If it bugs you don't get his sigs, don't buy his art (which I'm not a fan of, but I've certainly seen worse), don't buy Major X.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I rather an artist, regardless of how I feel about their choice, state which books they will not sign versus waiting in line for hours and not being able to have a certain book signed.

Damned if you do damned if you don't IMHO.
Post 31 IP   flag post
solid point, never happened to me but that would be horrid. Trying to think of anyone that refused to sign anything, except trading cards. Seen that a lot....but not comics.
Still that would be a mess to spend a few hours of con time waiting to be told...oh yeah I don't sign that one.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
When I got Bruce Campbell to sign my Army of Darkness comic, they told us when we got there to line up that he would not sign any Dynamite comics. The two I had went home without signatures.

Since I only brought on item Campbell would sign I bought one of his books so I could get more than one signature for my trouble.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@drchaos This may be a little different as the Dynamite books were part of the whole issue where they used Bruce Campbell's likeness without his permission and the facsimile edition reprints are a reprint of work Rob was paid for. I'm no lawyer, and I don't know what his gripe is over the facsimile reprints, however I suspect (as I stated earlier) that he has no real gripe, he just wants to hear his name buzzing like it is right now.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I cannot figure out which part is drawn the worst - the gun or that she is standing in mid-air

figured it out...its the proliferation of pointless pouches
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town did someone say Pouches?
Post 36 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I cannot figure out which part is drawn the worst - the gun or that she is standing in mid-air

Leifeld gave Captain America bigger boobies.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

I am unsure what Liefield charges to sign, but you would think that denying himself that money would be counter productive...imo at least

It's not so much denying himself the money it's about the utility of the money. I have no idea how much Liefeld has but if he has around $2 million then on interest alone he could make about $80,000 a year (assuming 4% interest) - not sure how much he would loose by not signing a few specific issues but he could literally sit at home and sign nothing and bring in $80k

Whatever tax bracket he is in whatever $$ he brings in from signing is basically half or less. Not sure in the US but in Canada the $80k made in interest or investing would be taxed at a much lower rate than income from a convention, so even if he made $80K at year at conventions he would still be further ahead by staying at home and doing nothing.

From his viewpoint - he is doing us a favor!!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics 2 million is his net worth, believe me he is not doing us a favor.
If we all stopped getting autographs from him his popularity would go down the drain.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Oh, he's just mad because it looks a brazilian times better than the "Deady Long-Legs" crap he offered.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS who is the is the artist looks great?
Post 41 IP   flag post
I did some fast googling, and surprised to find...when you google net worth of the main creators for Image...

I remember back late eighties early nineties most of these guys appear all around the same give or take period...given a fairly level playing field and roughly same time and place type start.....

Portacio…...11 Million
McFarlane 300 million
Erik Larsen 4 Million
Silvestri 8 million
Liefield Fined for not being able to draw feet and the proliferation of possible pointless pouches....2 million
Post 42 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not surprised about McFarlane - he turned his initial cash into the toy business empire!

Not sure what Portacio or Silvestri are into - did any of their properties do anything or did they just invest wisely?

Larsen is Savage Dragon yes?? so no real mass market hit but they are all doing better than pouch boy.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town Don't forget there were seven founders of Image comics

Jim Valentino: $100K-1M (Approx.)
Jim Lee: $10 Million
Post 44 IP   flag post
I wasn't able to find figures for those two , glad you did
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I quit collecting comics in about 1983. About 8 years later, I had quit two jobs back to back and had no income. I pulled my comics out of storage to read them for entertainment. I could barely afford food. A movie or anything that costs money was not an option. Eventually, I became employed and wanted to get back into comics. I picked up some comics and started thumbing through them. I looked at Liefelds art and thought it was horrible. I remember calling it "chicken scratch". I was about to give up on new comics entirely, but I remembered Bob Layton's inking on Iron Man. I asked the comic shop manager what creators like Bob Layton were doing. He said "He works for Jim Shooter's company called Valiant."

I picked up Magnus #2 from Valiant and I was hooked. If not for that, Rob Liefeld's art would have prompted me to quit buying comics altogether in 1991. I hated Jim Lee's art too, but I eventually grew to appreciate it a little.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
The comments that follow this are hysterical. The comic industry as a whole (particularly the big two dependent on diamond) have some serious issues at the moment, but DC has some incredible writers pumping out several quality titles at the moment. For him to suggest the lack of quality writing is DCs issue is laughable at best. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/10/rob-liefeld-predicts-the-collapse-of-dc-comics-soon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Can we just all stop talking about RL and agree not to buy anything new he’s creatively involved in?

If we ignore him, he will go away. Eventually.
Post 48 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Well said! Amen! Hallelujah! @Drogio
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I generally do ignore him. I can't say DC has good writing or not because it got so bad that I decided not to buy their product anymore. DC doesn't need to produce comics. They could license the characters out to another publisher and make pure profit. If they licensed the characters out to Marvel, you could have Batman and Spider-man hanging out together.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Rob Liefeld Quits Twitter Following DC Tweet Controversy

clickable text
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I never read his tweets before. What an attention whore.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I hated Jim Lee's art too, but I eventually grew to appreciate it a little

In my opinion Jim Lee is an excellent cover artist, but a horrific sequential artist. Many of his covers are quite gorgeous to look at, but when you try to read comics drawn by him, the sequential art is so intricate and detailed per panel, that the story doesn't flow well at all.

Just my thoughts
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Not sure what Portacio or Silvestri are into - did any of their properties do anything or did they just invest wisely?

I'd imagine that comes from his being CEO of Top Cow
Post 54 IP   flag post
601488 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?