Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

He who doesn't draw feet is refusing to sign New mutants 98 Facsimile?9254

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I was glancing at a group discussion of facebook about Rob "sour attitude Liefield, refusing now to sign the new facsimile releases of New mutants 98...….

What exactly is the issue? If I am understanding the argument it is...because I am not making money from this I refused to sign it, thus making sure I don't make any money off of this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't he charge for signatures?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drahcir private msg quote post Address this user
From what I gather it's because they didnt inform him they were being made ahead of time.

The dude is acting like a child and has lost sight of what the hobby is.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
When it comes down to it it is his perogative...he owes us nothing...at the same time if we "fans" are angry just don't buy his stuff...Major X is a hot book allowing him to do whatever he wants
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
When it comes down to it it is his perogative...he owes us nothing...at the same time if we "fans" are angry just don't but his stuff...Major X is a hot book allowing him do do whatever he wants
I don't feel he owes his audience anything, but someone does need to remind him that without that audience he isn't going anywhere fast....I guess growing up watching how people like Kirby and Romita Jr and many others acted towards the fan base, I find him.....just small or ...surprising for his supposed body of work and place in comic history.

I keep looking at this batch of X-Men books from mutant massecare that are all signed by Claremont and Romita Jr and Romita even signed a few he did not work on.....someone said he is happy to sign anything you hand him ….

I am unsure what Liefield charges to sign, but you would think that denying himself that money would be counter productive...imo at least
Post 5 IP   flag post
Me at a convention wondering if I brought anything Liefield doesn't have an issue signing....
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Hahahahahahahahaha, I thought I was the only one who believes legs he draws from knee down were lame!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Doesn't affect me at all. I don't want his autograph or anything he draws.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahcir
From what I gather it's because they didnt inform him they were being made ahead of time.

The dude is acting like a child and has lost sight of what the hobby is.

And who told him that Marvel had to ask his permission?

Thankfully I had him sign all I had for him in 2015. Now I even avoid going near were he is located in cons.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Typical human frailty - one gets bigger and bigger and bigger and more popular... then that leads to an ego... then a bigger ego... and even bigger ego. And then voila you have "this" nonsense.
He's free to do what he wants and certainly doesn't owe anybody anything... but it's still nonsense at a high level.
"I don't do this", "I won't sign this"; "my autograph is worth hundreds because it's my time"; "I charge for pictures", "I charge to look at me"; "I charge half to pass by me"; "where's my chateu briand I ordered while signing at the con."

Let's see if a newcomer... any newcomer artist/writer trying to make it in the comic field acts this way. I think not. And they don't owe anybody anything either.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot figure out which part is drawn the worst - the gun or that she is standing in mid-air

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to stop calling his "feet" feet.
They're hooves.

Liefeld Hooves™.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Well at least she has pouches...everyone must have pouches, hooves, one eye that is different...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Well at least she has pouches...

Again, we need a stickied "Out Of Context" thread.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know why people only focus on the feet.. let's be real, there's seldom any part of his art that is good anywhere ... composition, scale , perspective, facial expressions, body parts , weapons, etc .. they almost always look odd or banal.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I don't know why people only focus on the feet.. let's be real, there's seldom any part of his art that is good anywhere ... composition, scale , perspective, facial expressions, body parts , weapons, etc .. they almost always look odd or banal.

IMHO, bird droppings on a car hood look more like art than Rob Liefeld's crap.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I am so thankful while growing up my comic book exposure was the 60s, 70s, and 80s, when art was art.

But on the flip side,.. old age sucks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I am so thankful while growing up my comic book exposure was the 60s, 70s, and 80s, when art was art.

PREACH baby! Quoting the the title to Art Linkletter's book - "Old Age is Not for Sissies"

And if you have no idea who Art Linkletter is, then you are definitely not old.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder

"Old Age is Not for Sissies"

Ain't that the truth!.. and I certainly know who Art Linkletter is. Fortunately I've had physical activity and a healthy diet throughout my years.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bet at least Art Linkletter was willing to sign his own book though...just saying
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I cannot figure out which part is drawn the worst - the gun or that she is standing in mid-air

so much wrong ..

Major x holding the gun in a clenched fist ..

that girls trigger hand looks demented but possibly holding in some kind of tiger claw grip .. don't know how that works

The girls belt looks like it would fall off the second she changes her stance

The lifeless facial expressions typical of liefeld on both characters

The horrible composition and page design

I'm going to stop looking at it now
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see Liefeld at too many shows but when I do it does not seem difficult to give him lots of my money.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
He was always nice to me. Of course I was never demanding anything or presenting myself with an overblown sense of entitlement.

He signed my X-Force 2. No muss. No fuss. Twenty bucks, a smile, and my evening was complete.

I find a lot of my evenings end that way...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I bet at least Art Linkletter was willing to sign his own book though...just saying

Even the later editions, reprinted without his consent?!

Sounds reasonable.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Who is buying and reading Major X? I don't know a single person who has a copy in their reading pile or personal collection.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that this thread exists secures his relevance in the current landscape. All he has to do is say "I'm not signing such and such" and then we're all talking about him and he is relevant again. He doesn't even have to mean it, he just has to say it and the news cycle is all about him.

Sounds creepily familiar to someone else:

"I'm enacting tariffs on Mexico!" the news goes nuts. Then the next day when the story has died down: "I don't think I'll enact tariffs on Mexico."
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
The fact that this thread exists secures his relevance in the current landscape. All he has to do is say "I'm not signing such and such" and then we're all talking about him and he is relevant again. He doesn't even have to mean it, he just has to say it and the news cycle is all about him.

Sounds creepily familiar to someone else:

"I'm enacting tariffs on Mexico!" the news goes nuts. Then the next day when the story has died down: "I don't think I'll enact tariffs on Mexico."
Amazing analogy....thanks for that!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Even the later editions, reprinted without his consent?!

Sounds reasonable.
umm yes, if its a direct reprint of his original work, why would there be some problem? Most people who publish printed work know beforehand or even contractually accept the possibility/probability that their work may be reprinted or even used in a collection of some type later.

My chosen artist Jewel for instance has written an published multiple books, either of poetry, or her life experiences . Several have reached multiple printings....but she does not sit and whine and fuss over signing them . Same with cd's of her music....they are continually getting re-released....she signs them because she gets that its a service to her supporters who have helped her where she is.

She probably takes this view to a higher level, she is also known for allowing people to patch into the soundboard at her concerts and record and save those as well. She also often arranges carpools for people to get to and from her shows...…….I guess I am just missing the point here, but why would Liefield care if they reprint his work, rather than viewing it as an endorsement of that and opening the door for him to receive further monetary gain by signing or offering these as signed and graded books?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Who is buying and reading Major X? I don't know a single person who has a copy in their reading pile or personal collection.
This was my question. I know people buying the first issue in spec. I don't know anyone actually reading the thing
I've never met Liefeld or got his sig so I can't speak to him in person. The one chance I had to get his sig, it was $100 to meet him that included one sig. Each additional was $55.00 unless you got a "key book" signed in which case the $55.00 would go towards the signing fee. Pretty sure it was $85.00 for New Mutants 98.
I find it strange he's acting like he owns this property. I also think it's odd he seems to be taking credit for the popularity of the character's personality. He created the character by straight-up ripping off Deathstroke. Nicieza wrote the initial books and came up with the name Wade Wilson after seeing the initial art and saying "You've drawn deathstroke here". Most of his personality was developed much later and I would say by the Joe Kelly/McGuinnes series in 1997. Did he work on the 1993 mini-series? Nope. 1994? Nope...1997? Nope. For something that his responsibility began and ended with ripping off George Perez, this is all very overblown. Still, Liefeld is free to do whatever he wants. If it bugs you don't get his sigs, don't buy his art (which I'm not a fan of, but I've certainly seen worse), don't buy Major X.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598019 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?