Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

any tips on shipping a book to canada9248

Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
usps is probably the best but does anybody have any special tips.. and hows the cost.. I have to send one book slabbed..
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Gotlift - If you go to the USPS website you can get pricing for shipping to Canada (invest in a digital scale if you haven’t already). You will obviously need the address, Province, and Post Code, and when you ship you will need to include a Customs Declaration form (CN 22, note: they ask for the value of the book and also want the recipient’s email address on this form). It does cost more to ship to Canada than in US. Many of the Canadians I have dealt with have post office boxes in the US that they use to save postage costs.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
You also have to fill out a customs form. The 2 packages I did last week were just in a gemini holder. They were $17.25 a package. I would also like to know if there is a cheaper option.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Canada shipping costs are out of control, but it's the cost of the niche
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
"Do not Safe Drop"
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
Look up on Google how to ship through PayPal without an invoice. I have used PayPal to ship to Canada very reasonably. Like under 10 for a Gemini mailer. You can also do the customs form at the same time just make sure you sign it!

If you get a 5 lb scale that should suffice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Too many people are focused on the cheapest way to ship to Canada and not the best, safest way for the person shipping.

First Class International will always be the least expensive way to ship internationally (outside the USA) But you cannot insure First Class International.

I'll make it simple. As a seller, DO NOT ship the cheapest way unless you are shipping to a relative OR you are shipping something where you have been paid in a cash equivalent (that is to say, refunds are 100% up to the shipper. Cash. Money Orders, PP friends and family)

With international shipments, unless you want to risk being ripped off, you need to ship via a method that is insurable and collects a signature. That does not describe First Class International. It describes - least expensive - Priority Mail International. This service can be insured for up to $675. It will cost about $25 more than First Class International. If you need more insurance, you will have to move up to more expensive servies and pay still more.

When I sell internationally via eBay, I use their Global shipping program. Then I am only sending the book to Kentucky. eBay handles the rest and takes responsibility. When I sell internationally via my catalog, my customers have two choices. Pay with Money Order drawn on a US bank in US Funds and I'll ship however they want. Otherwise, if they wish to pay with credit card, then the shipping costs exactly what it costs me - fully insured and traceable.

If you do not take this approach, you will eventually get ripped off. PayPal and the credit card companies will 100% of the time side with the buyer if they claim they did not get the package.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie73
Look up on Google how to ship through PayPal without an invoice. I have used PayPal to ship to Canada very reasonably. Like under 10 for a Gemini mailer. You can also do the customs form at the same time just make sure you sign it!

If you get a 5 lb scale that should suffice.

PayPal's shipping thing is great. It's not perfect, but when it works - and it does for 95% of my shipping - it will save you money. There are few areas it doesn't work - Regional Rate boxes come to mind. And every once in a while I will run into shipping Express where for some reason it comes up "signature waived". If I am shipping Express it's expensive stuff and I want a signature. So I have to void the label (on PP's ship now) and go to the USPS site instead, where I can specify I want a signature.

Below is a link to the PP ship now page.

https://www.paypal.com/signin/?returnUri=https%3a//www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr&state=%3fcmd%3d_ship-now
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

If you do not take this approach, you will eventually get ripped off. PayPal and the credit card companies will 100% of the time side with the buyer if they claim they did not get the package.

Different perspective. I ship internationally all the time. What is important is not signature confirmation. What matters is that you have tracking which shows package delivered. For packages below $750 PayPal will side with seller as long as package shows delivered (unless special circumstances). For packages above $750 sig confirmation is required. Challenge is that not all international posts update tracking as delivered - the one which mostly comes to mind is Germany.

To date - I have only had 2 issues - one where I screwed up (accidentally choose overland instead of air and where package got lost) so took the hit on that one - and one where I got scammed but where PayPal refunded me in full.

I agree with you that credit card companies will always side with buyers - but that has nothing to do with shipping international
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Different perspective. I ship internationally all the time. What is important is not signature confirmation. What matters is that you have tracking which shows package delivered. For packages below $750 PayPal will side with seller as long as package shows delivered (unless special circumstances). For packages above $750 sig confirmation is required. Challenge is that not all international posts update tracking as delivered - the one which mostly comes to mind is Germany.

To date - I have only had 2 issues - one where I screwed up (accidentally choose overland instead of air and where package got lost) so took the hit on that one - and one where I got scammed but where PayPal refunded me in full.I agree with you that credit card companies will always side with buyers - but that has nothing to do with shipping international[/quote]

It matters a GREAT DEAL if the buyer paid with a credit card and they live - and you ship- outside the USA. You have absolutely no recourse, no avenue of appeal. The buyer get's refunded, you are out both the book AND the cost of shipping.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've received items mostly from the US but also Japan, Australia and Europe and most domestic postal services offer tracking that gets to my door for usually under $20 USD.

I do agree that for larger dollar items a signature is better and more secure but adds a lot to the shipping price - hence my US mail service (also for heavy items or say 30+ comics).

My general rule of thumb is it has to be $15 cheaper to keep shipping within the USA for it to be worth my time and the boarder toll and mail fee.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To date - I have only had 2 issues - one where I screwed up (accidentally choose overland instead of air and where package got lost) so took the hit on that one - and one where I got scammed but where PayPal refunded me in full.I agree with you that credit card companies will always side with buyers - but that has nothing to do with shipping international[/quote]

It matters a GREAT DEAL if the buyer paid with a credit card and they live - and you ship- outside the USA. You have absolutely no recourse, no avenue of appeal. The buyer get's refunded, you are out both the book AND the cost of shipping.

Same applies when you ship within the US
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
Canada shipping costs are out of control, but it's the cost of the niche

They have been for a long time now. I almost never order books out the US any more.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same applies when you ship within the US

Yes, very true. But shipping within the USA, getting a signature is a cheap add on. $2.60 I think.

The bottom line is that IF you live in the USA, there are NO cheap international shipping options that offer any security. Absolutely none. Not USPS, not FedEx, not UPS. All are expensive. Cheap international shipping for us Americans went away a decade ago.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@IronMan signature will not help you much if having to deal with a credit card issuer. They will always settle in favour of their client, which is the buyer. That is the bottom line.

I have yet to hear someone as a seller win a claim back claim.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have any idea approximately how long a book gets stuck in customs from Canada to Florida?

I was supposed to get a book 2 days ago, in the initial tracking number, but all I see in tracking now is:

Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
It really depends - can fly though in a day or be part of a shipment/truck that they are checking all packages.

Not sure about Canada to US but some comics technically can't be sent/bought here - think Chakin's Black Kiss for example - not available here, pretty sure it would get stopped at boarder??
Post 17 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Thank you. I guess I just need to be patient.
The book shouldn't get flagged as being inappropriate. It is strange tales 110, I would imagine all Marvel books are not controversial.
Post 18 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I did around X-Mas. Sold something on eBay and PayPal said the account was stolen and gave the money back to the buyer. We had to go through a few rounds of calls, but we actually got the money back from PayPal.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@poka I did around X-Mas. Sold something on eBay and PayPal said the account was stolen and gave the money back to the buyer. We had to go through a few rounds of calls, but we actually got the money back from PayPal.

Sounds like your money came from PayPal not the card issuing company so not the same. The card issuing company will never rule in favour of the seller, so if you got compensated - the compensation came from PayPal - most likely from their seller protection.
Post 20 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@poka understood.
Post 21 IP   flag post
600902 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?