Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

My Experience with the 10-Day Turn-Around Offer9232

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have been super busy with the end of the school year rapidly approaching, but I wanted to show off my latest slabs from CBCS. I sent 10 comics in for grading on the last day of the 10-Day Turn-Around Offer (May 17th). The comics were received by CBCS on May 20th and entered into their system the next day. The package with the slabbed and graded comics from CBCS arrived at my house on Friday, May 31st (but my wife didn't answer the door in time, so it was re-delivered on Saturday and my son signed for it). That's amazingly fast.

I sent in two SA Marvels, one Golden/Atomic Age DC, and 7 SA DC's. Nine of the 10 books have been in my personal collection for 35 years or more. I expected 8 of the 9 SA comics to receive grades 8.0 or higher. I was not sure what grade to expect for the 9th SA comic. You'll see why with the scans.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So here's the comic that I was curious about its grade. I purchased it at a convention a few years ago because of its fantastic cover. Unfortunately, the cover looks like a 7.0 or better, and the back looks like a 3 or 4. Here's how CBCS graded it. Looks like the back is just as important as the front for grading.

I traded for a higher graded copy last year, so this is a spare.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Here's the only other Marvel I submitted, a very nice looking copy of Daredevil #15.

Post 3 IP   flag post
I submitted this copy of Action #222 to help preserve it. There are only about 32 graded copies on the CGC Census.

Post 4 IP   flag post
The rest are all SA Adventure Comics. These are all fairly rare in higher grades and don't turn up for sale very often. I loved reading about the Legion of Super-Heroes as a kid, so I really get a memory-rush looking at these issues. I was hoping that CBCS would takes pictures of a few of these for their Featured Comics section due to how scarce they are, but no such luck.

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
A gorgeous copy with Exceptional White pages.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Another great-looking Legion cover.

Post 11 IP   flag post
I didn't submit any of these for pressing, either by CBCS or anyone else.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Gorgeous books, Ed! Thanks for sharing!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley - Anytime, Mike. My pleasure.
Post 14 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Beautiful books! Those copies of "Adventure" are awesome.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like I should have been born about 20 years earlier...Unless I win the lottery stuff like this is beyond me. Beautiful stuff.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 - Thanks. I have been putting together a small run of them. I'd be curious to see how it stands if CBCS ever gets a registry going.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@etapi65 - Thank you. The DC's may be somewhat rare or scarce in higher grades, but most are still pretty affordable.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@etapi65 - Thank you. The DC's may be somewhat rare or scarce in higher grades, but most are still pretty affordable.
Ed, don't give away our secrets! We DC collectors have to stick together. ๐Ÿ˜†
Post 19 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 - Okay, David, it will be our little secret.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice books!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@crystalphoto - Thank you.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Exceptional white. Sounds like my brother during the winter lol. No I had no idea that was a thing.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So here's the comic that I was curious about its grade [Sgt. Fury & HHC #13 CBCS 3.5 COW]... the cover looks like a 7.0 or better, and the back looks like a 3 or 4. Here's how CBCS graded it. Looks like the back is just as important as the front for grading.

The PQ probably factored into it as well
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Quote:
So here's the comic that I was curious about its grade. I purchased it at a convention a few years ago because of its fantastic cover. Unfortunately, the cover looks like a 7.0 or better, and the back looks like a 3 or 4. Here's how CBCS graded it. Looks like the back is just as important as the front for grading.

I traded for a higher graded copy last year, so this is a spare.

Phew. About had a heart attack when I saw this but then noticed the missing pencil marks. I at first thought you cracked the one from me and it dropped that far.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo those are definitely books to be proud of, great books ๐Ÿ‘
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Batman66 - Thanks!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!! Those are some great books!! Love the ADVENTURES COMICS #340. Thank you for sharing!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I sent two books in for grading on May 15th, which was entered in to their system on May 22nd, havenโ€™t heard A peep since. Those books should been graded by now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Rafel - No problem, thank you.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601325 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?