Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Graded Comic Shipping Box - Need Your Input9216

Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I am in the process of working with a manufacturer to build the Best Graded Comic Mailer and I would like to get everyones input on what they would like to see in their perfect mailer.

These are the important factors that I am trying to include:

1. Safety - Book safety always has to come first. Cardboard that is the right balance to protect and keep the weight down for shipping.

2. Cost - I want the cost per box as low as possible. If I can get a box designed and manufactured where the cost per box is $1.00 or under would you be interested?

3. Branding Capable - You would also be able to put your own branded logo on the boxes.

4. Multi-Use - A box that is scored so that the number of slabs mailed in a single box can be numerous. Also scored at the thin CBCS size. That way if you need to ship a thicker slab, you would just use two scores instead of one.

These are a few of my early points. I met with a manufacturer earlier today and now am reaching out to you, the graded book kings and queens, to get your feelings. I need to know if this is need by any of you and if this would be worth the cost to me to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Jon
Marvelous Comics

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
It should also have tabs or sheets of cardboard that can be used as spacers or padding between slabs.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Your points are great and I second Cat’s Input. There should be insets to ship multiple slabs in the box if designed to hold multiple slabs. Single slab boxes are great as well. I would find a number and stick with it. Like 1 slab boxes, and a 3 slab boxes. The 3 slab box should come with two firm sheets of cardboard to separate the slabs. Just my thoughts, but you are on to something a lot of folks would be interested in. All the best and let use know how it goes!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input. When I get the design prototypes back I'll try and post a pick to get further opinions on it.

If anyone else has any thoughts please keep posting.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector oakcitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
Something close to the ones Lone Star Comics (MyComicShop.com) uses would be great. Their's are freakin sturdy and I've never received a damaged slab from them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The plan is to use 200 lb. test corrugated cardboard. When I get a sample I will post it for opinions.

I really need to know if there is any interest in a product like this. I don't want to invest thousands if no one would use it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Mountie73 - The product must be affordable to purchase, protect the slab and comic inside the slab, and also be affordable to mail.

To protect he last slab that I mailed, I used bubble wrap and two Gemini-type mailers with extra cardboard to protect the corners, more bubble wrap, and then placed it in a USPS Priority Mail Box.

Your product would have to give me the same sense of security with less effort, and at a similar or reduced cost.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Wanted to say something that @esaravo basically said first. Considering the issues with slabs they need protection from impact so room for bubblewrap and a way to stabilize so the edges have extra protective space.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
I would like a box that I’m not having could fit one or more. Like when I ship one slabbed comic I’m having to use so much bubble wrap vs when I shop multiple ones the thickness of the comics keep them from sliding around. I would mind something that had like “cubbies” that you could slide the comics into.
Post 9 IP   flag post
So, would it be prudent to say that everyone would feel safer with a box that is slightly oversized, and be able hold multiple slabs? What do you think of this design based off the previous suggestions? This is just a beginning prototype.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Mountie73 - That looks pretty good. Would it fit into a USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate box?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't think the graded slabs fit in Medium flat rate boxes. I always have to use regional B, all other USPS boxes are just too small.

My objective is to create a box that is protective enough that double boxing wouldn't be necessary.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Meanwhile at the post office:

Median Flat rate boxes are about an inch too small to allow enough padding to properly protect a slab.

The top three priorities when sending slabbed comics are:

1. protect the slab at all costs
2. protect the slab at all costs
3. protect the slab at all costs

Even with double boxing and at least two layers of bubble wrap I still get a customer reporting a cracked case now and then.

I would like to see a less expensive way to mail slabbed books but given the rough treatment boxes get at USPS I would be skeptical.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I have had two cracked. One going to a customer and one to MCS. Of course the case that gets cracked is the 9.8 Fantasy Quarterly #1. 😡

Anyways, hopefully I can work out something to secure them and lower postage costs.

I'm still hashing things out but all these opinions help. Keep em coming.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie73
I don't think the graded slabs fit in Medium flat rate boxes. I always have to use regional B, all other USPS boxes are just too small.

My objective is to create a box that is protective enough that double boxing wouldn't be necessary.

Here’s how my X-Men #4 was shipped to me from CA! Somehow it survived a 3,000 mile trip with only a little bubble wrap, newspaper strips, and the thin cardboard USPS box.

Not all USPS Priority Medium boxes are the same dimensions. And most of the graded books I receive in the mail come in the medium-sized boxes.

Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I hate when companies / people ship graded books in priority boxes. Frankies Comics, Unknown Comics, Trinity Comics all send graded books like this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I never used the flat rate medium boxes. I guess to me it's just not a good fit. I want people who buy from me to know their books are getting there safe.
Right now I double box, I am hoping with a box specifically built for graded books I can stop doing that. That way I can save on shipping and help the comic community at the same time.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm, just shipped my first graded in a medium flat rate and have recieved i medium flat rate without issue. Maybe I'll have to reconsider.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie73

Here’s how my X-Men #4 was shipped to me from CA! Somehow it survived a 3,000 mile trip with only a little bubble wrap, newspaper strips, and the thin cardboard USPS box.

Not all USPS Priority Medium boxes are the same dimensions. And most of the graded books I receive in the mail come in the medium-sized boxes.

It is better to be lucky than good.

Just because many people are packing slabs in the medium boxes does not make it right.

If you ship out 100 packages packed that way you are very likely to get a few cracked cases.
Post 19 IP   flag post
618099 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?