Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Gold Key File Copies & Slabbing Thoughts920

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm new to the forum and wanted people's thoughts on Gold Key file copies. I'm particularly interested in Twilight Zone and see a bunch of high grade issues on eBay with 2-hole punches. How much do these punches affect grading if I were to buy and slab one? Is punching common with file copies (which appear very nice in every other way)? Thanks for the feedback!
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I have 30 Gold key file copies #1's in for grading right now. Worth getting at right price, underage books and values but I have been seeing prices creep up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be curious to hear of they come back graded as you expected.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cloudcloddie private msg quote post Address this user
I checked out the books on ebay you're talking about. Personally, I would avoid them.
I've collected a decent amount of file copies, and the great thing about them generally is that they're in great condition. And I've never purchased any with hole punches. That's going to bring down the grade significantly.
Regarding the ebay seller, with crappy pics like that, there's no telling what the grade actually is, regardless of the hole punches. And almost every file copy I've purchased has come with something stating it's a file copy. I'd be surprised if that seller has any provenance.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
The don't sound like file copies they sound like someone bound them in a binder and wants to sell individually. I probably have more file copies than most and never has holes punched in them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Listen to cloudcloddie; that's pretty much what I was going to say as well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this!
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I would avoid a claimed pedigree without some documentation backing it up.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I typically don't mind buying low grade (and I mean like 0.3 or 0.1 low) books but hole punching is one of those flaws that just makes me cringe. It better than mold or foxing but I wouldn't buy a book with any of those
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I would avoid a claimed pedigree without some documentation backing it up.

File copies aren't pedigrees.
Post 10 IP   flag post
600839 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?