Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Square Bound comics9198

Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
I just got back a pile of books which included a large quantity of square bound comics. I was very surprised that all of them graded out much lower than I expected. A Journey Into Mystery Annual that I thought would receive at least a 9.0, came back as a 7.0, with notes saying there was a long crease down the back side along the spine. This seems to me to be just a product of the type of binding and not really a defect. Does anyone else think that CBCS grades a little to harshly the square bound comics?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Great question!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
If it's a defect that happens after production, it can't be blamed on production. If it's the type of crease I'm thinking of, and probably is if considering a square bound, reading the book is still possible without causing the crease, so a crease has to be factored into the grade.

IMO
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Square bounds are a pain in the tailpipe just for that reason and why I don't bother getting mine graded....they damage so easily
Post 4 IP   flag post
Like I said, it looks like a byproduct of the binding process, not a post-production defect, which would imply that it was like that at production. So it seems unreasonable to downgrade it so harshly, 2 full points! I work in the printing industry and can knowledgeably say that those type of creases are unavoidable at manufacture.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I may just crack it open and send it to CGC just to see if they are more reasonable.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Any chance at an image?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
pics
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I THINK that in order for a production error to not have an effect on a grade, that it needs to be occurring in every copy (or at least most copies) of an issue. If that same crease occurs in every copy of JIM Annual, that is one thing. But if that crease just occurs in some square bound comics at random, that is something else.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BigKahunaFSU private msg quote post Address this user
Following this same train of thought, can square bound books like Harley Quinn (Alex Ross) and Dark Knight Returns be pressed to get out spine ticks?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting.... I just got back a few weeks ago a Silver Surfer #4 that I ALSO believed was a 9.0 +- a bit. It came back 7.5. I was not and am not happy and do not agree.

Unfortunately it is a Red label and I cannot crack and send into CGC due to the VSP autographs. So in a small sample size (1), it does seem CBCS grades kinda hard on squarebounds. I've had better luck with my expectations vs. actuals with CGC.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting ... I was wishing to send in a number of square bound Marvels to CGC several years ago--during Steve's tenure there incidentally. Before doing so I asked them via customer service if they could give me some kind of general reflections on how the grades would affected by both the inherent spine warping and the spine creasing discussed here. They declined to give me any help whatsoever so I passed on grading then. In recent grading through CBCS I have had the good fortune of only one book having "that" crease and it also was hit because of it. I do sympathize with the VSP situation you have, it really does give you precious little options.
Post 12 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

CBCS graded my SS6 pretty favorably, it’s also a beautiful book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
At least the front of that Silver Surfer looks very similar to the condition of my JIM Annual 1. I'm not sure I would grade either of the books a 9.6! Yours seems to have been graded on a favorable day. Lucky for you.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I've tried taking a picture of the back to show the supposed crease, but it doesn't show up in the pics.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Square bound books are extremely difficult to find in high grade. They are just not build to be read normally without being hurt.
Post 16 IP   flag post
This is pronounced, but is yours at all like this?

Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahunaFSU
Following this same train of thought, can square bound books like Harley Quinn (Alex Ross) and Dark Knight Returns be pressed to get out spine ticks?

Yes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not at all like my JIM ann 1, its crease or seam would be on the back but within 2mm of the spine, even closer than the staples that a squarebound uses.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Hm. Hopefully you'll be able an image of it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
601525 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?