Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I just got back four of the books that were submitted and received by CBCS on May 21. I was happy with the grades on three of the four.

First up, the Preacher #1 that I bought at an LCS when it was originally released. My personal grade on this was 9.6 and CBCS agreed.

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Next up, Amazing Spider-Man #361, also purchased from an LCS when it was originally released. I personally graded this one at 9.6, so I was happy to receive the 9.8.

Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Where’s the other two?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Next up is the only book that I was unhappy with: Captain Marvel Adventures #78. I actually purchased this just recently from an online dealer who has been around for years. I'm not necessarily unhappy with the grade as assigned by CBCS. Rather, I'm disappointed because the book was advertised as being around a 7.5 and it was not (if that makes sense). I'm still glad I bought it, though.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Last up is one I was crazy happy with. This one made up for the disappointment with the Captain Marvel Adventures issue. This is a copy of House of Mystery #179 that I bought at San Diego Comic Con in the mid-90s. I had personally graded this one at a 9.2 but it received a 9.6 from CBCS, so that was awesome. 9.6 is the highest grade listed in the CGC census and there are only five of those. So, yea, really happy to have Bernie Wrightson's first published artwork in that nice a condition.

Post 5 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head They're all there now. 😊
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I love the last one. Awesome books congrats. You going to keep them or sell them?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head Thanks! High-grade DC horror from the late 1960s and 1970s is really the era/genre that I love collecting the most, so I'll definitely keep the HOM #179. I'm considering selling the Preacher and ASM, but I'm not quite ready to do that just yet. When I get the remainder of this CBCS submission back, there are a few more that I may sell. If I do decide to sell, I'll put all of them up at once - probably right here on the forum - and see what happens.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 great books. No way that adventures book would get a 7.5
Post 9 IP   flag post
@poka Yep, a quick glance told me that it wasn't a 7.5 once I originally received it. Way overgraded by the seller.

One thing I'll add... I basically bought this comic online, received it in the mail and put it in the box to ship to CBCS. So I never took the time to personally grade this one.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector soonergee private msg quote post Address this user
Were the book all pressed as well?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@soonergee No, none of these were pressed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597870 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?