Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey curious what y’all would grade this hulk 180 at my LCS. I have an iffy feeling with some of the damage. They want 400 but just not sure. bold text

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cohnman private msg quote post Address this user
how the inside any pics
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Cohnman private msg quote post Address this user
a good cleaning and press will help,won't fix the color break,or stain in the back if inside is good 4.5 more to a 5.0.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49

When I've seen those vertical color breaking creases along the spine it's been books in the 4.0-5.0 range. Give the lack of a clean back cover and some other dents I'd also conservatively go with 4.0 with a chance at 5.0 with pressing and dry cleaning.

You can get CGC 5.0s for $400 shipped free on eBay. 4.0s are $325 or so. Better to go that route to be safe if you're thinking of spending that kind of cash.

Does this issue have a marvel value stamp?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
$400 for that copy? I wouldn't buy it at that price. Too many bends, color breaks, etc. Looks like a 3.0 to a 3.5 to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
LCS's are notorious for over grading then asking the cgc price for their inflated grade...

If you're not confident in your grading skills and ability to catch tiny restoration/conservation, always go for cgc/cbcs books in that price range.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I placed it around a 4 or 4.5 with hopes of it may being a 5 or 5.5 but I’m with y’all when I saw that spine crease that basically goes all the way to the top of the comic I didn’t think it was for me. I wanted some back up to assure my thoughts on it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
4.0 with a shot at 4.5 with clean and press. $400 is too much.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
6.0 but then I saw the back which brings it down considerably to a 4.0-5.0 Some of that staining over the light blue cannot be removed so even with clean and press you are looking at a 5.0 at absolute best case scenario. Hard pass. Offer $200 for taking a risk or tell them GTFO
Post 10 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I offered 350 and they said 400 firm. I just have to call to pass. I thought it was a lot nicer from the pics that were sent and from what they posted on Facebook. Win some you lose some or as the great Patrick Star once said “ easy come easy go”. Not sure if any of y’all enjoy spongebob lol.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
I just have to ... pass.
Win some you lose some

You won

This issue is a likely candidate for undisclosed restoration, and probably best purchased in a slab since more often than not that's what people are asking.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Too many sellers asking for prices based on THEIR opinions of a book's "potential".
Ridiculous. That requires the assumption that the buyer will have it cleaned, pressed, and graded even though he (the seller) is already adding that premium to the price.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
everything Mr Sigs. just said.....saves me a lot of typing. He nailed it
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Too many sellers asking for prices based on THEIR opinions of a book's "potential".
Ridiculous. That requires the assumption that the buyer will have it cleaned, pressed, and graded even though he (the seller) is already adding that premium to the price.

Bingo. I passed on a TMNT #1 4.5 after buying the grading notes. Light staining inside front and back covers. No way. Starting bid was $2,999 lol that is the very ceiling of that book and it sold at auction for $4,750.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
6.0 but then I saw the back which brings it down considerably to a 4.0-5.0 Some of that staining over the light blue cannot be removed so even with clean and press you are looking at a 5.0 at absolute best case scenario. Hard pass. Offer $200 for taking a risk or tell them GTFO

I don’t think you can tell someone to GTFO of their own shop...!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@bige31 for $350 you can get the same comic in a cgc/cbcs slab. If you want to hold it, then crack the slab open.
Post 17 IP   flag post
601455 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?