Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

What books to grade?9150

Collector Torr102 private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering how do collectors decide what books to get graded. Is it books with memorable covers(regardless of worth), just the ones worth a lot of money, favorite books(regardless of worth), books you wanna sell, or simply just want to have your collection graded.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
yes
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Torr102 I don't submit many books to be graded. When I do submit books to be graded, they are generally books that I think I might sell in the future or older Golden Age or Silver Age books that I submit so that the grader can perform a restoration check. I have also submitted some of my more valuable books so that I will have an "official" grade for insurance purposes. The vast majority of my collection will never be submitted for grading.

Hope that helps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 I was just curious about what books people get graded and why. Me personally I would only grade a book that has mid-high value or one that has a nice cover that I like.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I was sending in all my keys (1st apps and #1’s) an occasional high grade golden age, or a book so brittle and old and cool, slabbing would help conserve it. Some signed books to get red labels too. And I will chase a 9.8 for fun sometimes.
Then I figured if I don’t want to sell anytime soon, why invest the money in slabbing for now? I could wait.
Then I learned waiting is no fun, the anticipation is part of the fun.
Getting a .5 because you didn’t count pages is less fun, don’t do that!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I grade only to sell.
Deep deep down in my gut I remain one of those guys that does not like to own graded books.
But I also recognize how much money is to be made through grading through folks who subscribe to graded books. Therefore I do it.

I used to be in the camp of "I don't like graded books" therefore I had no activity whatsoever with grading companies. But I see the exponential amounts of money being tossed around and I'm not one to shun capitalism.... ever. You want a bridge; I got one.

I keep my own personal books ungraded
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Some good points in this thread. I’ve also had a couple key books in lousy condition graded to sort of freeze or lock in their grade.

Example: my copy of Showcase 22. Cover still attached at both staples, but truly hanging on by a bare thread. I figured it could probably withstand being opened another 10 or 20 times before it gave way at one or both staples. So I had it graded while the cover was still attached, locking it in forever at a 2.0.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Grade what you like
This is a list of books in processing I have at the moment.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just so I understand better, and because I am often confused by the term ".... what you like" in general. What does that really mean?
If I had a dime for every time I've heard: "buy what you like" across all hobbies and necessities I'd be retired and dining in Tahiti right now.

But what goes into "like"? What criteria went into the choice of Comic A over Comics B --> your entire collection? Is it cost? Is it readability? Is it flipping capability in the short term? Is it the long term investment? Is it the writer? the artist? the covers? Is it the fascination with the number 9.8? All the above? Why does one choose what they choose. Curious minds are curious.

I enjoy seeing folks motives and driving criteria and specifics for making the choices they make. It gives perspective.

As I mentioned earlier I do not enjoy graded comics whatsoever in my personal collection. But I enjoy getting them graded so I can sell them for exponential profit. Capitalism and profits are my reason for getting comics graded. I grade whatever I believe will sell for most profit when I get them back
Post 9 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I myself enjoy graded comic books. Almost everything is available to download in digital form to read. Having key and or high grade comics third party graded will just make it easier for my wife to sell when I kick the bucket 😀 And take a long vacation with the money 😂😂🤣🤣
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I like how shiny and new graded books look, even if they are worn and old. I also like the fact that the books, especially the older ones, are being preserved for future generations (it’s encased in plastic, so it must be valuable - therefore it probably won’t get thrown out by accident). Here’s an example:

I also like to grade what I consider to be my better SA and BA comics to see what the actual grades are. Although it sucks when something gets a lower grade than you expected, this helps establish the potential value of the comic. In many comics there is a huge difference in value between a 9.6 and 9.8. And according to the CGC Census, many of the SA DC’s I have submitted have never been graded in 9.6 or 9.8. So it’s very satisfying to find out you have (or tie) the highest graded copy of an issue, like this Superman comic.

And yes, I do submit comics for grading for resale value, and sometimes just to see if I can submit a 9.8 (forget 9.9 or 10, those are like chasing rainbows and catching Unicorns). For example:

Post 11 IP   flag post
@esaravo those look awesome, I’m waiting for my first graded comics from cbcs that they processed on April 23rd. I’m anxious to see what they look like encased. They’ve been sitting in a box since the 90s. I’m hoping they ship them this week.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke made this post on FaceBook on this subject recently, and I thought it was quite insightful.

Of course, I made sure it was cool with him if I shared it here.

How do I decide what to send in for grading? I base a lot of those factors on the following criteria:

1. Rarity

2. Retailer incentive ratios of 1:50, 1:100, 1:500, and 1:1000

3. Newsstand Editions from 2001-2016.

4. Low print runs of second printings or sometimes third printings from 2001-2016.

5. Speculative Purchases with a low cost from specific news stories: HBO buying an entire comic book company, Disney Buys FOX, Disney Buys Star Wars, etc. I do not speculate based off movie appearances or movie speculation on characters.

6. Speculative Purchases from below cover price costs, buying in bulk packs of 10 or 20 copies below cover prices, cherry pick the top 5 and send off for grading to hopefully achieve 9.8s.

7. Amazing Spider-man, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are my wheelhouse - so if I have high grade copies of vintage issues of any of these I will send off for grading.

8. Virgin Cover Art by Del'Otto, Lucio Parrillo, Fred Ian, Carla Cohen, and Alex Ross always do real well. If your cost is low, worth it.

9. Blindboxes. It's still worth it to buy a Image Blind Box on ebay for less than $200. If you get a Here's Negan! or any of the Original Artwork sketch covers, B&W Virgin Covers for Redneck, God Country, etc your cost is low at $10-$12 each so if you get a 9.8 on any of those that is profit.

10. I also send off books to see if I get a 9.8 to hold onto, maybe a celebrity will do a future con signing and I can send off that graded 9.8 sealed to a con for a yellow label by having them crack it and have the guest sign it and hopefully retain the 9.8. This increases your chances slightly to get a 9.8SS from a celebrity at a con, instead of using one of their supplied copies, or risking a raw book being a 9.4 or 9.6 to begin with before even getting the book signed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Torr102 - I sent my first books to CBCS for grading in November of 2015. I now have sent them over 200 in total, so I guess I am addicted to slabs.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 1nOnly private msg quote post Address this user
I slab books that I like. Usually first appearances or cool artwork. The way I look at it is none of my collection is for sale right now so current value is irrelevant as the market can change fast.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@1nOnly I sent in some low end books for my first submission, 2 McFarlane’s spider-man #6 from the 90s, a marvel tales #236 and a wolverine #48. Nothing high end but I like the cover art. 🤷‍♂️
Post 16 IP   flag post
598062 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?