Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Newsstand comics not dead yet9079

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I was grazing through the newsstand at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and saw this “It Came Out On A Wednesday” #5.
I asked an employee about it and he said he hadn’t seen any comics in many months (which I was keenly aware of,) then just this title and issue showed up. He has no way of knowing when or if more will come.
Unfortunately they only had 3 copies all poorly handled, for $1.99 cover I don’t mind. This is an overlooked relic of how all comics used to be made (newsprint) and distributed. It seems just important enough to share.
Has anyone seen any other newsstand comics published in 2019?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh Interesting. I knew Alterna Comics were making comics that were made out of newsprint paper. However, I did not know they were selling them in "newsstands". Awesome find.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is interesting to me, indeed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Books-A-Million appears to carry the full line. I saw none that interested me. They look cheaply manufactured.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Books-A-Million appears to carry the full line. I saw none that interested me. They look cheaply manufactured.

Are the copies at BaM newsstand or direct? In Sept 2017 I stopped going there because DC Pulled newsstand distribution. Since then I’ve watched the last few Archie and Bongo books disappear from the Barnes & Noble racks. Simpsons 245 (final issue) was the last I’d seen until this one.

The Alterna books are made cheaply, with newsprint, just like the first 50yrs or so of comics were. They also cost half the base price (or less) of any new Marvel or DC. I’ll gladly make that trade-off.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
They are placed on the magazine racks where the newsstand comics are/were placed. My recollection is that everything in that section was marked as newsstand. Bongo was there until they quit producing newsstand versions.

There is a different section in the store where the direct market stuff is/was located. It looks like the direct market section quit selling "new" single issues. They have some shelf damaged old ones and they have about 5 long boxes of back issues from mainly the 80's & 90's that are cheap.
Post 6 IP   flag post
601271 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?