Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

help with grade9078

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this Spider-man 122 a while ago and was wondering if it would be worth it to have it graded.I may still have it graded for me to sell so that i can upgrade. can you folks give me a good guess as to what this would grade at? it has no problems except the two spots on the cover where tape must have made contact and then that owner must have pulled it off. any help would be appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
And if anyone is interested i am selling Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st Series) Wizard Ace Edition #1, NM the link is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1962-1999-1st-Series-Wizard-Ace-Edition-1-NM-Near-Mint/163687214756

(right click and hit "go to" or cut and paste). it is an auction and is currently 99 cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
there's more problems I see than just those tape pulls

front cover crease lower right corner, impact holes front cover, decent size discoloration/stain on back cover, and more

3.5 as-is
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you think you've got a 6.0 or higher on your hands (which I'm pretty sure you don't with that cover), it's not worth grading for sale...probably better to sell raw....and it definitely needs a clean and a press.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say the grade is around a 4.0 those four holes and cover tape peels really hurt.

I learned about tape issues when I first started collecting comics when I was about eight. (Of course I had comics at a younger age but I never used bags & boards till I was around eight.) I had it happen once, then I would fold the flap over with the tape on the front cover of the bag, and I found out that it can still come loose & hit the cover. So, I found it's easier/safer just remove the tape altogether if in doubt.
Post 5 IP   flag post
sorry if I wasn't clear, i didn't mean there were no other problems, i meant no other major problems. the reason i was looking to slab this is because as i understood it,the increase in value would make it worth it. I see raw books going for much less than a slabbed book of the same grade. am i wrong (it wouldn't be the first time). but that could be from a certain grade up and may not apply to the lower grades?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
It's an easy book to move...depending on what you paid for it, you can judge.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
It's an easy book to move...depending on what you paid for it, you can judge.

where did you get this list from? the problem i see with the list is the obvious, things sell at different prices and you take an average, some people take it to mean that they should pay the average price. but i like that there's a resource for at least gauging fair market value. is an app?
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It’s GoCollect.com
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks
Post 10 IP   flag post
@GaaSoth Learned about tape issues when I first started collecting comics when I was about eight. (Of course I had comics at a younger age but I never used bags & boards till I was around eight.) I had it happen once, then I would fold the flap over with the tape on the front cover of the bag, and I found out that it can still come loose & hit the cover. So, I found it's easier/safer just remove the tape altogether if in doubt
@GanaSoth, good advice
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if you're still looking for a grade opinion, but I wouldn't call it anything better than
GOOD 2.0
Post 12 IP   flag post
Good (GD) (1.8 to 2.5)
A comic book in this grade has all pages and covers, although there may be small pieces missing inside; the largest piece allowed from front or back cover is a half-inch triangle or a quarter-inch square. Comic books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled, and may have as much as a two-inch split on the spine, but are still completely readable. Often, the paper quality for a Good-graded comic book is low but not brittle. Cover reflectivity is low, and in some cases, completely absent. This grade can have a moderate accumulation of defects but still maintains its basic structural integrity.

according to the above my book would easily be better than a 2.5 since there are no tears or missing pieces, cover gloss loss or splits.

I do appreciate the input. in the short amount of time i've been posting I've been pleasantly surprised by the civility of the CBCS forum unlinke at CGC where the venom flies (early and often). So thanks for taking the time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Good (GD) (1.8 to 2.5)
A comic book in this grade has all pages and covers, although there may be small pieces missing inside; the largest piece allowed from front or back cover is a half-inch triangle or a quarter-inch square. Comic books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled, and may have as much as a two-inch split on the spine, but are still completely readable. Often, the paper quality for a Good-graded comic book is low but not brittle. Cover reflectivity is low, and in some cases, completely absent. This grade can have a moderate accumulation of defects but still maintains its basic structural integrity.

according to the above my book would easily be better than a 2.5 since there are no tears or missing pieces, cover gloss loss or splits.

I do appreciate the input. in the short amount of time i've been posting I've been pleasantly surprised by the civility of the CBCS forum unlinke at CGC where the venom flies (early and often). So thanks for taking the time.

You're welcome

Without the tape pulls I'd call it a VG-/VG 3.5/4.0 due to the surface wear, [what looks like] dents, dirty back cover, sizeable corner crease on the lower right and a sizeable bend on the upper left, and the stain in Spidey's word balloon and behind Gobby. The lower back cover also looks somewhat stained.

That's how I'd grade it if it were in my collection. What CBCS or CGC would call it, IDK.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Nice details. Thanks. I’m learning.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Nice details. Thanks. I’m learning.

Learning to grade is the best way to get more bang for your buck
Also, looking at the front and inner cover shot, it appears someone took a ballpoint pen to the space between MARVEL & COMICS.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I should also add that I may be way off. It's just how I see it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I noticed the major items, like the tape and the back cover stains but did not notice the minor items until they were pointed out, so i'm impressed with what others have pointed out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601201 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?