Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Atlas Comics Library Movies By Paramount9065

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The comic book character library for Atlas Comics has been picked up by Stephen Paul with the intent of producing superhero movies with Paramount Studios. Akiva Goldsman will help them, and they're targeting a first release date of 2021.

Character/Title List From Wikipedia:
Barbarians featuring Ironjaw (1 issue)
Blazing Battle Tales featuring Sgt. Hawk (1 issue)
The Brute (3 issues)
The Cougar (2 issues, created by Steve Mitchell)
Demon Hunter (1 issue)
The Destructor (4 issues, art by Steve Ditko and Wally Wood, who inked the first two issues)
Fright featuring Son of Dracula (1 issue)
Grim Ghost (3 issues)
Hands of the Dragon (1 issue)
Ironjaw (4 issues)
Morlock 2001 (3 issues; #3 retitled Morlock 2001 and the Midnight Men)
Phoenix (4 issues; last issue retitled Phoenix...The Protector)
Planet of Vampires (3 issues)
Police Action featuring Lomax and Luke Malone (3 issues)
Savage Combat Tales featuring Sgt. Stryker's Death Squad (3 issues)
The Scorpion (3 issues)
Tales of Evil (3 issues; the Bog Beast in #2, Man-Monster and the Bog Beast in #3)
Targitt (3 issues; #2 retitled as John Targitt...Man Stalker on cover)
Tiger-Man (3 issues)
Vicki (4 issues, reprint of Tower Comics' humor title Tippy Teen)
Weird Suspense featuring the Tarantula (3 issues)
Western Action featuring Kid Cody and Comanche Kid (1 issue)
Wulf the Barbarian (4 issues)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting. I've got a bunch of those buried somewhere, never have been worth much. Maybe this will help!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
The Cougar movie might be interesting - have more than a few in my neighborhood!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Largest run was 4 issues on a title!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought Atlas was the classic example of the right idea at the wrong time. They flooded the market with a slew of titles at a time when available display space was rapidly diminishing. Had they come along about five years later, when the direct market was on firm footing, they probably would have gotten a better result. There is some good reading among the Atlas titles. Hopefully this buzz will turn some attention that way.
Post 5 IP   flag post
This goes to show that studios are digging deep for IP to farm
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
oh wow... this is kinda cool
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Just grabbed a few cheap #1s on eBay. You never know!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Paramount & SP Media Group Make Superhero Play With Atlas Comics Deal & Universe Plan, Akiva Goldsman To Oversee Writers’ Room — Cannes
clickable text

Comic book fans rejoice: the superhero scene could be getting even busier. Steven Paul’s SP Media Group (SPMG) has entered into an agreement to acquire a majority interest in the Atlas Comics library, it was announced this morning in Cannes, with Paramount aboard for a first-look deal.

The Atlas Comics trove is owned by Nemesis Group Inc. and its principal Jason Goodman, grandson of publisher Martin Goodman, founder of Marvel Comics, which was later run by Martin’s cousin Stan Lee.

SPMG has signed a co-production and co-financing first look deal with Paramount Pictures to develop, produce and distribute superhero films based on the comic books. Ghost In The Shell and Ghost Rider producer Paul has also signed a deal with Oscar-winner and A-list scribe Akiva Goldsman – writer on I Am Legend, The Da Vinci Code and multiple Batman movies – and his Weed Road Pictures to oversee a writers’ room in connection with developing out the universe of the characters from the Atlas comic book library.

According to the team, production on the first project is due to begin during the second quarter of 2020 with a release expected to take place in 2021. The companies intend to produce and release at least one superhero project each year thereafter. The films will be produced by Paul, Goldsman, Atlas’s President of Production Spike Seldin (The A-Team), and Paramount. The studio will jointly finance with SPMG and Paramount will handle domestic distribution. SPMG will handle international distribution.

This is a developing story so it’s unclear at this stage which characters exactly will be in the mix. The picture may be complicated by the fact that Atlas went on to become Marvel Comics, which dominates the superhero scene thanks to its Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America and Spider-Man properties. According to imagery sent to us by those involved in the deal, characters could potentially include Phoenix, Tarantula, Tiger-Man, Cougar, Destructor, Grim Ghost, Morlock, Iron Jaw, Scorpion, The Brute and Wulf The Barbarian. The comics spanned different genres including sci-fi, fantasy, action, supernatural, and horror.

Development for Atlas will be supervised by Seldin and Greg Lessans will supervise for Weed Road. Jason Goodman will maintain an interest in the new Atlas company, serving as executive producer on all films. Scott Karol, SPMG’s President, will also executive produce.

“Intellectual Property of this kind is hard to come by in this day and age, and we are excited to be working with Steven Paul and SP Media Group to bring the iconic Atlas comic book library to the big screen,” explained Andrew Gumpert, COO at Paramount Pictures, which is in Cannes with Elton John biopic Rocketman.

“Steven Paul, Akiva Goldsman and the whole team at the singularly iconic Paramount Pictures bring a level of talent and enthusiasm to this venture that carries my family’s body of work in the comic book industry into filmed entertainment,” said Goodman.

Paul added, “What an opportunity that we have with the Atlas universe, which spans so many genres: superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural, horror, creatures, vampires, cops, cowboys, soldiers… The breadth of this material is extraordinary. I am looking forward to this adventure with Atlas for many years to come.”

“Atlas Comics is a treasure chest of classic art characters and storylines. I am more than excited by the prospect of joining Jason Goodman, Steven Paul, Scott Karol, and Spike Seldin in opening it up for the world. We will do our sincere best to satisfy fans old and new,” noted Goldsman.

The reason this trove of material has remained undiscovered until today partly lies in Atlas Comics’s history. In late 1939, publishing magnate Martin Goodman founded Timely Publications.

Timely formed the division then named Atlas Comics in the 1950s and became the home to Spiderman, Fantastic Four and Captain America. Goodman assembled a team of comic book icons including Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, Bill Everett and his cousin Stan Leiber (who changed his name to Stan Lee). In the 1960s the name was changed again, this time to Marvel Comics and Stan Lee was promoted to editor. In the 1970s Martin Goodman sold his publishing holdings with the understanding that Martin’s son, Charles “Chip” Goodman, would stay on at Marvel. This never came to pass. In 1974, Martin and Chip Goodman once again pulled together the top talent in the industry and re-entered the comic book business, re-launching Atlas Comics under the creative direction of young comic book innovators Jeff Rovin and Ric Meyers, with the sole intent of competing with Marvel and DC. They hired Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Ernie Colon, and other icons of the comic book genre and added Stan Lee’s younger brother, Larry Leiber, to the staff as an editor. Upon Martin’s death, Atlas became frozen in his estate and remained untouched until 2010 when Martin’s grandson, Jason Goodman, took possession.

The Paramount-SPMG deal was negotiated by Paramount’s COO, Andrew Gumpert and SPMG’s President, Scott Karol. The deal to acquire the majority interest in the Atlas Comics library was negotiated by Stephen R. Stern (counsel to Nemesis/Jason Goodman) and Scott Karol (on behalf of SPMG).
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster

Lots of inaccuracies in that story. This Atlas Comics is usually referred to as Atlas/Seaboard because they were published by Seaboard Periodicals, and are not part of the Timely/Atlas/Marvel stable of comics. The Atlas/Seaboard line also included several magazines, including a Vampy rip-off called Devilina.
I bought nearly every comic when they first came out (except for Vicki, their Millie the Model/Archie clone) and thought they had some potential (although most were complete rip-offs of existing titles). Then in less than six months, they vanished.
Except for one or two issues that I had two copies of, I sold them all to a fellow CBCS forum user. Of the 20+ titles, I would guess that the Grim Ghost and maybe Planet of the Vampires could have film/series potential.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I had the entire Atlas/Seaboard titles including the mags which I sold some years ago. Planet of the Vampires was my favorite. Pat Broderick did some decent art work on that series.

There were a couple of other titles I thought had potential. I was a bit disappointed to see it all disappear.
Post 11 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
They should have that Atlas cougar, kick the crap out of that overrated Marvel black panther. Yea, I said it, so what, wanna go huh huh? Let's do this. Lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
They should have that Atlas cougar, kick the crap out of that overrated Marvel black panther. Yea, I said it, so what, wanna go huh huh? Let's do this. Lol

@earthshaker01
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I had considered collecting the full run. Before I committed to it, I wanted to buy the hardest to find issues (and magazines first).

I have the second & third rarest items and I made an offer on the rarest. They are technically not comics, but completists want them.

2nd rarest... My Secret #1

3rd rarest...

Gothic Romances #1

The rarest magazine they produced is My Secret #2 with only one known surviving copy.

I also went for the hardest to find comics first.

I'm skeptical that these will be made into a movie. Jason Goodman owned the characters but he did not secure the Atlas Trademark for the company name when he did his last reboot. The Atlas name was owned by someone else and he was violating that guy's Trademark. The guy that owned the Atlas Trademark sold it to Dynamite I believe. These characters can't be called the Atlas Comics Library. It's a violation of Trademark unless they persuaded Goodman & Dynamite to both sell what they own. I think this announcement is a fishing expedition to see if the market has interest the characters. I think they'll find that the general public is not aware of the characters and the buzz will die off quickly.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
This must be why I sold a couple of my extra Atlas/Seaboard books on ebay.
I have all the issues except for the two My Secrets and Gothic Romance. Too rich for my blood. I paid the most for the 4 Vicky issues.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Update:

This below quote is from a spokesperson for Dynamite Entertainment. Not sure how this will affect the purchase and the intent to roll out movies so soon (2021) or even if this claim will reach the litigation phase. It seems like branding it Atlas/Seaboard would not violate their trademark claim. @X51 posted about this above but it seems like they're goign to move forward with their claim.
Assuming they get made, I'm hearing Planet of Vampires and Iron Jaw are up first.

"Any trademark rights the original Goodman's Seaboard Publishing group may have owned in the ‘Atlas Comics’ name was abandoned decades ago. Because of that abandonment, the trademark ATLAS COMICS was adopted in 2002 by Jeffrey Stevens, who then registered the trademark in 2005, and Dynamite now owns all rights in the ATLAS COMICS trademark, having purchased it from Mr. Stevens in 2014,We have been actively using the mark ever since."
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
You should see all the "movie rights optioned" listings on ebay now.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

Gotta watch it though....have a movie like Hellboy or that Tom Cruise Mummy movie and you could endup hurting your IP....whatever happened to that relaunch anyway?? I thought they were bringing back the classic Mummy/Vampire/Werewolf/Creature from Black Lagoon universe??
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

Gotta watch it though....have a movie like Hellboy or that Tom Cruise Mummy movie and you could endup hurting your IP....whatever happened to that relaunch anyway?? I thought they were bringing back the classic Mummy/Vampire/Werewolf/Creature from Black Lagoon universe??
Yeah, I might dig through some back-stocks at LCS to see if any are laying around, but I'm not paying $60 for a Cougar #1. Most books cool down after the movie, even if it's extremely successful (with the exception of New Mutants Deadpool stuff; you're all INSANE for paying those prices). I wouldn't go nuts here buying, ladies and gents. But if you can get someone to pay a mint for something that may or may not ever make it to screen and get rid of some stuff from your inventory that's taking up space then go for it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

The Universal Monsterverse, what they called the Dark Universe, is dead in the water after The Mummy flopped at the b/o.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I thought they were bringing back the classic Mummy/Vampire/Werewolf/Creature from Black Lagoon universe??

My favorites growing up. I would really like a remake of Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite growing up...

Post 22 IP   flag post
@OGJackster I had never watched this before I bought it a few years back - was really good!!! Could definitely use a re-make - al la X Files style even!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
My favorite growing up...

Wolfman's got nards!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Update:

This below quote is from a spokesperson for Dynamite Entertainment. Not sure how this will affect the purchase and the intent to roll out movies so soon (2021) or even if this claim will reach the litigation phase. It seems like branding it Atlas/Seaboard would not violate their trademark claim. @X51 posted about this above but it seems like they're goign to move forward with their claim.
Assuming they get made, I'm hearing Planet of Vampires and Iron Jaw are up first.

"Any trademark rights the original Goodman's Seaboard Publishing group may have owned in the ‘Atlas Comics’ name was abandoned decades ago. Because of that abandonment, the trademark ATLAS COMICS was adopted in 2002 by Jeffrey Stevens, who then registered the trademark in 2005, and Dynamite now owns all rights in the ATLAS COMICS trademark, having purchased it from Mr. Stevens in 2014,We have been actively using the mark ever since."

So if I'm reading this (and other things) correctly, Dynamite owns the Trademark to Atlas Comics, but does not own the characters or intellectual property. Right?
Post 25 IP   flag post
597904 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?