Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I am currently watching a comic book that I will more than likely buy, the book is under 9 dollars and says "Shipping is free and that includes tracking number and insurance". how is that possible!? I am selling a couple of items myself and want to know from the more experienced sellers how this is done and how much it costs that this seller can afford to do this on a "buy it now" book that is priced at under 9 dollars?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Tracking is free on all USPS packages, Insuring a $9 package would be about $1.65, and they’re probably shipping media mail, which is $2.65 for the first pound, which should be enough for a single comic. Finally, I believe you do get a bit of a discount when you purchase your shipping through ebay. ~$4 profit on a book may not seem like much but if they’re selling a lot of books, it can add up
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Self insuring and shipping first class mail envelope for under $2.00 and it has tracking.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Self insuring and shipping first class mail envelope for under $2.00 and it has tracking.

A properly packaged comic using a mailing envelope and first Class will weigh in at 10-14 oz with a cost of $3.65 to $4.00 and that is with the Ebay discount.

$2 might get you that skimpy envelope that always arrives bent up and damaged.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Tracking is free on all USPS packages, Insuring a $9 package would be about $1.65, and they’re probably shipping media mail, which is $2.65 for the first pound, which should be enough for a single comic. Finally, I believe you do get a bit of a discount when you purchase your shipping through ebay. ~$4 profit on a book may not seem like much but if they’re selling a lot of books, it can add up

What about the cost of the book? if we go with your math, there’s maybe a dollar or two in profit. Seems crazy unless you got the book for a quarter.
Post 5 IP   flag post
So from you folks' experience, what’s the best way for me to ship and cover all the bases the most cheaply? and how much whould you say I should charge for shipping for my comic book sales. (first time selling comics on ebay).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer

Good call. Self insuring is a good idea for a relatively inexpensive item like this.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

What about the cost of the book? if we go with your math, there’s maybe a dollar or two in profit. Seems crazy unless you got the book for a quarter.

Don’t forget about eBay’s insertion fees and final value fees as well as PayPal’s fees.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck this make is sound like it's the slimmest of profit margins. why go through the trouble?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@sportshort

On top of the shipping, seller’s fees and the original cost of the book, don’t forget the bubble wrap, bag and boards and your time.

As @dielinfinite mentioned. I suppose that these very small profit margins can add up if you are selling a huge quantity of books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CaptainCanuck this make is sound like it's the slimmest of profit margins. why go through the trouble?

Is it a new book? I've got several old books that I have out on ebay for a little bit of nothing. I don't want them, but I can't throw them out either. So if I can make a buck or two on a 20 year old non-key comic then I'm all in.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
Quote:

Is it a new book? I've got several old books that I have out on ebay for a little bit of nothing. I don't want them, but I can't throw them out either. So if I can make a buck or two on a 20 year old non-key comic then I'm all in.

it's "ADVENTURE COMICS # 397 VG 4.0 1970 WONDER WOMAN X OVER SUPEGIRL" not an expensive comic but hard to believe after all the fees there is anything left over to pay for the gas to drop it off at the post office.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

it's "ADVENTURE COMICS # 397 VG 4.0 1970 WONDER WOMAN X OVER SUPEGIRL" not an expensive comic but hard to believe after all the fees there is anything left over to pay for the gas to drop it off at the post office.

You never know. Maybe he bought it in a lot. I've bought several lots where I was just trying to get 1 or 2 books and really counted the price I paid as being for those 2. Anything I made off the other books were just bonus. And if I can sell it and make a dollar profit, I'd rather do that than throw it out or donate it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
Quote:

You never know. Maybe he bought it in a lot. I've bought several lots where I was just trying to get 1 or 2 books and really counted the price I paid as being for those 2. Anything I made off the other books were just bonus. And if I can sell it and make a dollar profit, I'd rather do that than throw it out or donate it.

i supose you're right.1 dollar is better than none.
Post 14 IP   flag post
597869 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?