CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Stan Lee: Ex-manager of comic book legend charged with elder abuse9052

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Click or Touch here for the story.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
Makes perfect sense! Stan was still doing signing marathons into his mid 90s. Anyone who would force someone that age to work that type schedule is committing elder abuse imo!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Think anyone that got his sig later on there would agree with this. After I went through the process, I felt terrible for supporting it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Think anyone that got his sig later on there would agree with this. After I went through the process, I felt terrible for supporting it.

What was the process? I never tried to meet him cause it was always over 100 bucks and I'd always rather spend that on a comic.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Hard to know the facts on this one.

Just because Stan was getting up there does not mean that he would have preferred to be a recluse instead of getting out to see his fans even if it became more difficult to do so.

Perhaps someone like Todd McFarlane or Kevin Smith who had the opportunity to have a real conversation with him knows the truth but most of us really don't have a clue.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
So, my experience was Megacon. After he had announced he wasn't doing cons anymore he came back to raise money for disaster relief in Puerto Rico. Figured this would be my only shot so I paid $349 for the "package". It included one signature, an exclusive comic (was edge of venomverse #2 Stan Lee edition, which I got graded at a 9.8, but not signed) and a photo op. Edit: Oh, and there was a poster I got signed too, they provided...so two sigs, but the poster has a tear at the top.

When Stan arrived, you could see him get there behind the curtain. he was late because his flight was held up and hadn't eaten. So when he got there with food in hand; they took it from him and forced him to start signing items that the "super special" package people had provided for him to sign. Not sure he was allowed to eat. Then, he was brought out of the curtain to the signing table. You had to have your comic out and ready to go (understandable) and then you were told not to speak to or "distract" Mr. Lee from his signing. When I came up, I went ahead and said something like "thank you for your work and the impact it's had on so many people". His eyes lit up, he looked up from the signing with a big smile on his face and started to talk...he got out "That's wonderf..." and then cut him off by telling me to keep moving and slamming their finger on the table in front of Stan for him to get back to work. Left a real bad taste in my mouth, the whole situation. It was very clear that he was OK with speaking with people even in quick passing, but was not being allowed to do so. The photo op was similar...you know how odd it is to be shuttled into a little booth with someone to take a picture with them and not be allowed to speak with them? Guy was barely awake, he needed to not be there anymore. I had barely stopped walking up to him and turned around when they said "got it"...I was like "got what?" "the picture's done you need to get out". Might as well have been a card board cut-out instead of an actual person. he was treated like a prop...a slave. I was disgusted by it and actually felt guilty for paying for him to be treated that way.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 That is sad to hear. My experience was a little better. I think it was 2013 at Motor City. I did the photo op and had a book signed by him. Even in 2013 I had that feeling like the fans were cattle being hearded through the line. The photo op came out nice. I had my 3rd oldest son on one side and me on the other side of Stan. I really wanted all 3 sons in the photo but only 2 people were allowed in the photo with Stan. It was hard to pick just 1 of my sons. @etapi65 As you probalby know I deal in prints and posters and would be interested in trading you something for it even with the tear. PM me if interested.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Click or Touch here for the story.

Justice always finds a way, shame it just wasn't sooner. Stan Lee deserved better and the world is less without him, RIP Stan.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Last thing I had him sign was in 2012. In the few years after that, I started seeing a lot more stories and seeing a lot more videos that echoed etapi65's experience. I made the decision then not to have him sign anything else and indeed to never buy anything else signed by him after 2016, when it seemed to really start getting bad.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
The one thing I have signed by Stan I bought from someone else who also got it from another person...says it was signed the first day of issue for Spider Gwen 1....think that was like 2015 before things got too dicey for him …..I never could bring myself to enter into the shark den and buy directly from him at the shows, the whole scene just bewildered me. Buying it second hand isn't guilt free but at least I wasn't going back and forth up and down that line ten times in a row ….
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Hard to know the facts on this one.

Just because Stan was getting up there does not mean that he would have preferred to be a recluse instead of getting out to see his fans even if it became more difficult to do so.

Perhaps someone like Todd McFarlane or Kevin Smith who had the opportunity to have a real conversation with him knows the truth but most of us really don't have a clue.

Forcing someone in their 90s to do marathon signings for hours on end at dozens of Cons IS elder abuse. No one here wanted Stan to be a recluse or stop signing books we just wanted Stan to be treated better and not be over worked in his golden years like he was.

I for one would have cut his work load by 3/4 had I been his manager. He was overworked and not allowed to interact with his adoring fans. I hope that "manager" of his goes to jail
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
The one thing I have signed by Stan I bought from someone else who also got it from another person...says it was signed the first day of issue for Spider Gwen 1....think that was like 2015 before things got too dicey for him …..I never could bring myself to enter into the shark den and buy directly from him at the shows, the whole scene just bewildered me. Buying it second hand isn't guilt free but at least I wasn't going back and forth up and down that line ten times in a row ….

Same here. I overpaid for a Stan signed CGC book but the cool thing is that Walt Simonson is going to be a Comic Con so I can have him sign the book too?
Post 12 IP   flag post
600891 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?