Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgeQuestions

Spider-Man (1990) #1 Silver Cover - Blue Lizard Variant9046

Collector BigRonnie private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 I just sold my raw copy today, won't be selling my slabbed 9.6.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Waiting for CBCS to charge my card for the 12 book order that has been sitting since before the holiday. if the 2 days starts today, they could ship on Thursday. Oh boy, can't wait to see what grades I pull. All 6 Blue Lizards were pressed and have no color breaking creases, so I am quite optimistic.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonnie
@X51 I just sold my raw copy today, won't be selling my slabbed 9.6.

I have 2 or 3 of them. Probably not a great idea, but I left one shrink-wrapped.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@X51 Are you intertested in selling any?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
How do people here feel about all the homages to this cover? Overdone? Still fun to collect? I appreciate the occasional homage, but this one seems really overdone (along with ASM 300).
Post 30 IP   flag post

@etapi65 The Holy Trinity of Overproduced Homages: ASM#129, ASM#300 & SM#1. I will (likely) not collect the non-McFarlane homages. I have Spawn 8 and Spider-Man #13, need Spawn #231, both the normal and the Black & White sketch cover.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Odd I found my signed Spider-Man #1 cover poster and I thought it was signed Todd "Webs" McFarlane but it was only signed and dated. The more I think about it, I remember him signing another poster featuring Spider-Man against a wall with webs on it and perhaps that was the one where he signed his name "Webs". I can't recall that artwork being on a cover, I think it was an illustration he had done for it to be made into the poster itself. That was probably the one where he signed his name Webs, but have not found it yet, and I don't recall ever selling it.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 Are you intertested in selling any?

No. I was shooting for two or three sets of all the distributor limited TPB's like this.

http://comicchecklists.coolpage.biz/Limited_TPBs/DLTPB_index.html
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
How do people here feel about all the homages to this cover? Overdone? Still fun to collect? I appreciate the occasional homage, but this one seems really overdone (along with ASM 300).

I'm tired of all homage covers. I shake my head and cringe whenever I see one.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@X51 Cool list. I've never seen that before.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I'm tired of all homage covers. I shake my head and cringe whenever I see one.
I'm kind of there as well, though, I could imagine many of us are completionists by nature and would feel a sense of FOMO by not collecting them all. I'm always mentally fighting this urge myself.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Man that Diamond list brought back a ton of memories, I had a few of each of them since as an employee the leftovers would go to us. Hadn't seen some of those images in so long, but never had the Spawn one since Capital at the time was our competitor before Diamond bought them out. Not a collected edition but I remember all the various other incentive variants, from Image, Valiant, DC, etc when variants were harder to come by and not simply the same book with different cover art. The Platinum Death High Cost of Living which was only for retailers one copy for every 100 copies I believe of the regular edition, the full gold embossed Wildcats #1 which was one copy per 100 copies ordered or 1 signed copy by Jim Lee for every 200 copies ordered, etc. Man I miss those days.

I still remember when Sandman #19 came in and we got notified that the pages were flipped and were ordered destroyed. We had two cases sitting by the recycle bin before a co-worker decided to take both cases, and sold them to a dealer in Hawaii and made a nice chunk of change. LOL!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Essentially, the main thing these have in common are that they are individual comics bound into a TPB by the distributor. Neal Adams son Jason ("Spyda" who runs his store claimed that the Cyberrad TPB was not produced by Continuity and that Continuity would never use that artwork for the cover of a TPB. That's because it's clearly labeled with Diamond's logo. Diamond used their excess inventory to bind these. All the ones I've seen have the Platinum version of Cyberrad #1 (Vol. 2) bound inside.

The most common one is the Robocop TPB. There may be version with & without a cardstock insert.

The Youngblood TPB includes an issue drawn sideways and maybe some other gimmick in another one. You almost have to spin it in circles to read it.

The Man of Steel "Raffle Edition" TPB is a precursor to the others. It was produced by DC. I'm not sure if it was done in conjunction with a distributor, so I include it on the list.

Variant covers were cool in the early 90's because they were only used on special issues. They weren't producing 5 covers on every comics with none of them being remotely more special than the others. There was almost always something that made the variant more special.

Harris was the first publisher that just repeatedly created variant covers in an attempt to boost sales. We all know their fate and what it did to the collectibility of their comics. I know of no fans trying to seek out a complete collection of Harris comics.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@etapi65 You are right, it's crazy. I don't think I'll chase the homages, but select reprints and foreigns are always cool to collect past the main book. I think ASM#129 & ASM#300 have a lot more homages than SM#1. Here's my ASM#129 set that I just started: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tcBEh5xVe3AVvSx39

(BTW, by Blue Lizards are in the "Shipping" status with CBCS, I hope know my grades soon).
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
@etapi65 You are right, it's crazy. I don't think I'll chase the homages, but select reprints and foreigns are always cool to collect past the main book. I think ASM#129 & ASM#300 have a lot more homages than SM#1. Here's my ASM#129 set that I just started: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tcBEh5xVe3AVvSx39

(BTW, by Blue Lizards are in the "Shipping" status with CBCS, I hope know my grades soon).

I like the Crain Punisher #1 you have there, because it's an actual homage instead of just looking like a recolored swipe. The position of the Punisher's face with regards to the weapon and the orientation of spidey are completely different than the original, but is still recognizable as being based on the classic cover. The more I think about it, the more that my main issue with homages is that they're not homages, they look like straight-up cover swipes that someone recolors and calls a homage (like the Amazing #789 you've got there). They still all look great and it's a great collection, just weird (lazy?) how prevalent this is becoming.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

i like the spidergwen 1 1:25 bradshaw variant
Post 41 IP   flag post
I got my Blue Lizard grades and I couldn't be happier;

9.8, 9.8, 9.8, 9.6, 9.6, 9.2
Post 42 IP   flag post

Post 43 IP   flag post
For those interested, here was the timeline for this order:

5/18 - Dropped off to CBCS at ECCC in NJ
5/23 - Received in Texas by CBCS
5/24 - Billing Email sent to me
5/25 - 5/27 (Memorial Day Weekend)
5/28 - Paid and Released to Grading
5/30 & 5/31 - Grading
6/1 & 6/2 - Weekend
6/3 - Completed & Released to Shipping
6/6 - Shipped and Received Grades
6/10, 6/11 & 6/12 - FedEx couldn't deliver
6/13 - Received
Post 44 IP   flag post
Update: Sold the 9.2 for $250 shipped. Good deal all around.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Still have some for sale.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@etapi65 The Holy Trinity of Overproduced Homages: ASM#129, ASM#300 & SM#1. I will (likely) not collect the non-McFarlane homages. I have Spawn 8 and Spider-Man #13, need Spawn #231, both the normal and the Black & White sketch cover.[/quot

Don’t forget the most referenced Spidey cover of them all: ASM #50
Post 47 IP   flag post
@XxSpideyxX ASM#50 was certainly homaged often, but it's not in the league of ASM#129, SM#1 or ASM#300, dozens vs. hundreds.
Post 48 IP   flag post
601425 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?