Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgeQuestions

Spider-Man (1990) #1 Silver Cover - Blue Lizard Variant9046

Collector BigRonnie private msg quote post Address this user
I emailed in and asked about their notation. I was told it is acknowledged and noted on the label as as a variant.

I'm going to drop off 6 of them this Saturday at East Coast Comic Con in NJ.

Has anyone had one graded by CBCS? I'm curious to see what the label is going to say. Would love to see a pic if you have one. Thanks in advance.

I'm a collector of all Spider-Man (1990) #1 books and related items:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s9yhR1rLgMFc6j7r6

Gobbled up every Near Mint Blue Lizard I could find over the past year or so. I even found the reverse of the Blue Lizard, the Copper Lizard. All yellow ink, no blue. Same affected pages and panels. It was bound to show up eventually. CBCS doesn't acknowledge that one, yet...
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing to do with blue lizard but I saw this and decided it's too rich for my blood.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F181184280647
Post 2 IP   flag post
Those guitars are cool as hell, but at $4k each, they won't be hitting my to do list any time soon. The black suit is cooler in my opinion. Love them, but not for me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRonnie wow that's one cool collection congrats 👍
Post 4 IP   flag post
@no1lufcfan Thanks No1ufcfan! I'm having a lot of fun tracking down items I've never heard of. Ha!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Very awesome! I’ve been one blue lizard away from completing my collection (though not as complete as yours in the slightest). I do know of one item that I didn’t see in your album though.

Marvel Keepsake Collection. Not something I see online often but isn’t normally too expensive. Though the only one I’ve seen for sale in person was insanely priced.

Cheers to the solid collection! Always happy to see another Spider-Man #1 collection.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRonnie How do you know it is a blue lizard copy from the outside? Or do you have to open it up and look? I saw the interior pages in your link. Nice books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@bythegram It's in there, I have 5 Keepsakes including 2 proofs. One of them is numbered 0005/5000

Here's a pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGZR1ea6ESMHuR776
Post 8 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips You cannot tell from the cover. You need to open up the book and see the Blue Lizard. The Blue Lizard and Copper Lizard variants only exist in the Silver Cover. I recently found a Gold Cover with the exact same pages and panels affected. The Lizard is an off-grey color. Don't expect that one to be recognized as anything other than a one off, but I do believe the Copper Lizard should be recognized. It's the exact opposite of the Blue Lizard. Yellow+Blue=Green
Post 9 IP   flag post
Update: I dropped off 6 Blue Lizards as well as 6 Spider's Web, Signed & Stamped copies of SM#1 this past Saturday. Can't wait to see what the label says. Wen't with 2-Day Modern Grading, so I should have them back in a week or so.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
When Spider-Man #1 came out, I was working for Diamond, one of my duties was delivering comics twice a week (yes back then comic stores got two shipments per week). McFarlane's store he co-owned was on my route, so I would see him there when he was in town or he would make sure to mention when he would be doing a signing there. One of the nicest and coolest guys in the industry. Keeping this short I have some very fond memories and great stories about my time visiting with him during multiple signings, and I remember the day that issue came in as they had ordered a bunch, lighten the load in my delivery van that day greatly. :-)
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 Cool story Kinsella5
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5 agree with @BigRonnie great story 👍
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks yeah, during those visits I had Todd sign his entire Amazing Spider-Man run plus a bunch of the Spider-Man #1 issues as well as the first ten issues of that series, and some of the stamped version's his store offered. I also still have the Spider-Man poster they released of the issue #1 cover and he signed it boldly Todd "Webs" McFarlane....I don't think he signed like that very often. One visit he spent about an hour going over every cover of his Amazing Spider-Man run with me talking about what he liked and didn't like. Another highlight was when he asked my opinion about a character he had created which was Spawn and was showing me all types of preliminary drawings of the characters and then told me all about his idea what would then become Image.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 Any Spider-Man #1 stuff for sale?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 1998fordexp private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my freshly graded 1st of its kind to be recognized as a variant by CBCS.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 1998fordexp private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'll have to check my copies to see if I have any but here's an interesting read:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/23/my-monthly-curse-by-phill-hall-11-those-spider-man-blues/
Post 18 IP   flag post
@BigRonnie Nothing you would not already have. I plan on finally sending stuff off for grading soon, but more than likely will hold on to everything. I saw Todd years ago and he came up to me and gave me a big hug and asked how I was, we talked about family and got caught up and then I saw him again early last year and I had him sign my Amazing #300 again this time on the cover as I had him sign the entire run back in 1990 but back then he was signing comics on the first page as most creators were doing that. I remember seeing so much stuff when I was working at the distributor, when the platinum #1 came in, the retailer incentive Torment Collection that I saw on your site brought back a lot of memories. Todd even sent up a stack of signed Spider-Man #1's black cover to the warehouse for the employees.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 I have 2 copies of the Red Cover Diamond Edition & I would love to add more of these to my collection, at any grade. My slabbed 9.6 is the highest of only 7 Diamonds graded (haven't seen CBCS one). I love it for 2 reasons; It's the rarest reprint of SM#1 (700 printed), and because they are notoriously only found at lower grades, due to the way they were shipped (shrink-wrapped too tightly on bad cardboard). The prices for raw Diamonds on eBay right now are $599, $499, $285 & $225. Pretty high, and only the top 2 look like they could be NM+ or better. It is the most available at the same time since I started tracking this book last October.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@BigRonnie

I remember when that red cover version came into the warehouse like it was yesterday. We always had a few extras of the incentives and sometimes the employees would get them. I had that red cover edition and remember having Todd sign it, but over the years back in the 90's I sold things I wish I could go and stop myself from doing but I am sure we all have stories like that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
A FB friend that I collect SM#1 with got his Blue Lizard back before I did. "Blue Lizard Variant" on the label. Also "7th & 10th page color plates transposed". I didn't count the page numbers before I sent mine in.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I was collecting during this time period and was always impressed so much with Mcfarlane and his general ….attitude as compared with that other guy who was so popular right during this period....Rob someone or other...…..
Flash to thirty years later and look at the images of these men at conventions...Mcfarlane, signing and being gracious, and fans in droves speaking so positively about their experiences vs...Mr so Bitter about Major x stuff guy....nuff said
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I am mostly drawn to SM#1 as it was the biggest comic release of all time, and had so many initial variants. I find it amazing when I run across a new item I've never seen before. I really hope at least one of my Blue Lizards comes back a 9.8. Will sell the rest and use the $$ for another SM#1 fun rare book.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Aw! Someone else has the Diamond limited Torment TPB.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@X51 I just sold my raw copy today, won't be selling my slabbed 9.6.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Waiting for CBCS to charge my card for the 12 book order that has been sitting since before the holiday. if the 2 days starts today, they could ship on Thursday. Oh boy, can't wait to see what grades I pull. All 6 Blue Lizards were pressed and have no color breaking creases, so I am quite optimistic.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonnie
@X51 I just sold my raw copy today, won't be selling my slabbed 9.6.

I have 2 or 3 of them. Probably not a great idea, but I left one shrink-wrapped.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@X51 Are you intertested in selling any?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
How do people here feel about all the homages to this cover? Overdone? Still fun to collect? I appreciate the occasional homage, but this one seems really overdone (along with ASM 300).
Post 30 IP   flag post
601206 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?