Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to your collection #59031

Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Some cheap odds and ends showed up in the mail today...

Pitt #3 Ashcan or Hero Edition...

1st Alex Ross

Pure Spec book...

Some Star Wars spec...I hear these guys are getting their own show...

Post 401 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Batman66, @BigRedOne1944, and @southerncross - Two other weird “Number 1” issues are Doctor Strange #169 and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1 (which came out before Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 and has stories that continue in those two titles). Sub-Mariner #1 has started to increase in value, but still pales in comparison to the value of Iron Man #1 (which of course is the one I don’t own).

Here’s my copy of that hybrid intro issue to both (it was the first SA comic that I submitted for grading that received a 9.6). Another iconic dynamic cover by the under appreciated Gene Colan and Golden-Age legend Bill Everett.

@esaravo, @Batman66, @southerncross ....

That "Special once-in-a- Lifetime" logo is eerily fitting on that beautiful 9.6 Iron Man Sub-Mariner

Nice calls on the hybrid Issues, but was there anything weirder than The Incredible Hulk Time Line transition?

Incredible Hulk #1 - #6 (1962-63) Cancel after only six issues

Tales to Astonish #59 (Sept. 1964) Hulk's First Appearance in the TOA title.

Tales to Astonish then turns into

Incredible Hulk #101 (1968) Keeping the TOA numbering, but in all actuality it is the 7th Self titled Incredible Hulk issue. (Incredible Hulk #1-#6 ; 1962-63)

The Hulks evolution timeline is "Incredible" and Astonishing" to say the least.

I know Captain America had a similar transformation from his Golden Age era to Tales of Suspense, to Captain America #100, but that evolution took place over a few decades. The Hulk timeline all took place in within a 5-6 year period.

OK Im rambling on and if I haven't already confused you already I'll get to the initial question I originally intended to ask.....

Did The Hulk appear in ANY other Marvel Title after having his Original 1962-63 Incredible Hulk Title(#1-#6) canceled, and prior to his first appearance is Tales to Astonish #59(1964)?
Post 402 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing Spider-man 14

Post 403 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, ASM 14 is dated July of ‘64.
Post 404 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

Yep, and TOS 59 is dated Sept of '64.
Post 405 IP   flag post

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

It seems Marvel utilized one of their flagship titles (ASM) to test the reemergence of The Hulk. Obviously it was a good move.
Post 406 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. 👍🏼
Post 407 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 408 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Steverogers11 love that avengers 57
Post 409 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 410 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@Steverogers11 love that avengers 57. Thanks been wanting a nice clean copy for awhile
Post 411 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim also hulk appeared in Avengers 2 and 3 prior to Tales to Astonish 59
Post 412 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11

MAN! The work John Buscema did on that Avengers #57 Cover is nothing short of breath taking

The guy is the most under appreciate comic book legend in the hobby, especially considering his body of work on including many Key books such as Avengers #57 Congratulations on the book. Unfortunately a Higher grade issue like that is out of my financial range.
Post 413 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@00slim also hulk appeared in Avengers 2 and 3 prior to Tales to Astonish 59

@ Southerncross...

Good Find! Any other Hulk appearances?

Avengers #2 Nov 63
Avengers #3 Jan 64
AMS #14 July 64
TOA #59 Sept 64
Post 414 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Missing the most obvious ….April 1964 Hulk travels to New York and meets none other than the fantastic four......in the two part story in issues 25 an 26 of Fantastic four.....
Post 415 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - John, here’s my Avengers #2 and #3:

PS - Imitation or not, doesn’t the Hulk seem tiny on the cover of #2?
Post 416 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Its always fun to get a "10".... even though these are kind of common..

Post 417 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That number 2 of Avengers is sweet.
Journey into mystery 112 I think is another hulk. Didn't have a chance to look at my raw copy last night. That issue is Thor's version of the fight from Avengers 3
With Hulk only lasting 6 issues and maybe the comic buyers just thought it was another monster book. One good outcome was he'd jump into other heroes books regularly. Setting up what marvel would do with other characters appearing in other characters books.
Post 418 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Steverogers11 I have a very nice copy of avengers 57, paid $60 for it years ago. I don't think it would come back an 8.5, had it pressed since the photo
Post 419 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 420 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Missing the most obvious ….April 1964 Hulk travels to New York and meets none other than the fantastic four......in the two part story in issues 25 an 26 of Fantastic four.....

Man! It looks like the Hulk has a serious size advantage on ole Ben Grimm

So it looks like the Hulk was fairly active in other titles after his title was canceled, in the year or so leading up to his first appearance in TOA #59
Post 421 IP   flag post
Quote:

Well, It is Giant Man above him. Maybe he just hasn't completed his transformation yet.

Whats up with Iron Man on that #3 cover? Looks like a little kid in a Halloween costume.

Namor also seems to be lacking any definition. I always love me some Jack Kirby gold, but those Avengers don't appear to be Jack Kirby's best work. Very cool Key Books, but some how kind of lackluster.

Especially when compared to the Legendary Bold work John Buscema did with his Avengers #57 Vison cover
(BTW nice looking Avengers #57 Batman66)
Post 422 IP   flag post
Picked up a nice stack of Iron Man's.

I haven't got them all scanned with my cyber slabs yet, but here are the first few featuring one of the all-time great cover artists', Gil Kane. I just love his Work. I will post some more of the books as I get them scanned and logged into my collection inventory.

Post 423 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Gorgeous couple of books. Seeing Avengers 3 always makes me wince a little. Back in the '80s, a friend of mine bought one at a convention, late on the last day. We got back to his place and were going through our gains. He pulled his new copy of Avengers 3 out of its bag and let loose a string of profanity. He'd taken the seller's word on its condition and (for reasons that still escape me) hadn't pulled it out to examine it himself. The front cover was gorgeous, VF at least. About two-thirds of the back cover was gone, ripped off. That was an expensive lesson.
Post 424 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I think Hulk appeared in a comic almost every month between the cancellation of his first series and his return in TTA# 59. It wasn't like fans had a chance to forget about him.
Post 425 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
My low grade Avengers. Not sure if I have #3.

Post 426 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
My low grade Avengers. Not sure if I have #3.

Sweet. As they say, “low grade is better than no grade”. And that’s exactly what I’ve got. “No grade” on the early Avengers. 😆

Kudos, @X51.
Post 427 IP   flag post
Here is the Next Iron Man Issue from the stack I bought. It coincidentally features an awesome Jack Kirby Cover. It also shows IMHO, how Kirby's Art continued to evolve with a more mature detailed style while still retaining that Kirby signature look.

The added bonus is the Evel Kinevel back cover. He was legend to us kids from the seventies. There can never be another Evel Kinevel. It was simply a special place in time.

There are a few different back cover versions of Evel Kinevel from this time period. they are all cool and desirable to me.

Post 428 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user

Post 429 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user

Post 430 IP   flag post
601294 999 30