Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

Went to LCS, saw a brand new CGC case, OIL!903

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The Comic Book: Batman: Harley Quinn Comic – November 1, 2000
by Paul Dini (Author), Yvel Guichet (Illustrator), Alex Ross (Illustrator), Aaron Sowd (Illustrator)

My poor comic store lady, she had a 9.6 freshly graded CGC in what looked like one of the "brand new" new cases and she showed me the horror: it looked like what I can describe as the top of water after an oil spill. Or, better yet, think about boiling noodles and you splash some oil in it so the noodles don't stick or whatever. I would have taken photos but my 2014 iphone 5s has that mysterious blurry focus problem so I can't take photos with it. I'd look like an old grandpa taking vertical blurry facebook pictures so why bother. I'm sure they're gonna pop up everywhere soon.

In her opinion, the book had been pressed so tight that it created a weird pressure glare that gives the appearance of oil. I said, "I dunno, that looks like oil to me".

#VALDEZ

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
It's called the Newton or prism effect
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Yah, it is an effect from the 2 plastics pressing together and it is really unsightly. Some CGC books will have it and some won't. CGC really shouldn't let books leave quality control with prism rings.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the infamous Newtonian effect, of which CGC seems to not care about eliminating.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
CGC slabs have had those rings for 16 years. It's just more pronounced in the slab with no well. If it's an old slab you can slide a piece of paper in there and negate the contact point.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Mykey was talking about one of the new Frankenslabs with the innerwell. Problem with the new slabs is you can't slide a piece of paper inside to mitigate the effect either.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Mykey was talking about one of the new Frankenslabs with the innerwell. Problem with the new slabs is you can't slide a piece of paper inside to mitigate the effect either.

Quoted for greatness.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

I understand, it was just general Newton Ring information for people new to slabbing like @kaptainmyke.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
CGC slabs have had those rings for 16 years. It's just more pronounced in the slab with no well. If it's an old slab you can slide a piece of paper in there and negate the contact point.

No, they have not. Want to see a plethora of mine without such?
Post 9 IP   flag post
596786 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?