Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Thor 337 question9020

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
If you had the choice between a 9.8 or a 9.6 Canadian variant, which one would you go for
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
What is worth more here in the US?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster the 9.8
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Then I guess that would be my answer, the 9.8
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
9.8 tends to be king....still don't really understand the massive premium from 9.6 to 9.8 on some books!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'd go with the Canadian. Since both CBCS and now, CGC, are listing the price variants on their labels, you will see demand for Canadian, UK and Australian price variants increase. I can't imagine that there is much of a price difference on a 9.8 to a 9.6 for a Thor #337, but I could be wrong. But if it is within a 10-15% difference, I'd say that the gap between a 9.6 Canadian and a 9.8 US will close and perhaps the Canadian will exceed in value over the next 5-10 years. Plus, it's fun to collect international editions!!! Think of them as like a 1:10 variant and you get the general idea of why these are sought after by some and will be sought after by more.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Have a UK trip booked for later this year - looking forward to finding a few pence copies - just need to find some stores in the places we will be and to not interfere too much with the family trip!! Pretty sure no one wants to spend hours in a store going through comics!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I was leaning towards the Canadian variant Because it's more rare, I made an offer for $540 on a 9.8, kinda wanted him to decline but he accepted. The Canadian variant is 499 obo. Not sure what he would have taken. I know I will kick myself 5-10 years from now. Here's the book I got
Post 8 IP   flag post
@KatKomics did you go to Ireland not to long ago?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@KatKomics did you go to Ireland not to long ago?

Noooo - never been to Ireland - maybe next time??? Have a feeling next time will be France though - give it 2 or 3 years for next over seas adventure
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 It's all good!!! There is no certainty that what I think will happen, will happen. I'm just speculating on what I have observed over the past few years. Collecting international editions and price variants has been a long overlooked area for comic book collectors. Now, with the ease of buying online from around the world and the growing awareness of these comics, I believe the demand for them will increase. With both CBCS and CGC labeling the type 1A price variants, I believe it is just a matter of time before the UK, Canadian and Australian price variants take off in value.

But I'm happy you got yourself a great copy of the book at the price you wanted!!! I really don't think you can go wrong with that comic.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@KatKomics sorry confused you with someone else. Always wanted to go to that area.Hope you have a great trip to the uk. Wife and I are planning a trip to Jerusalem in November
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I agree with your speculation. Thanks for your insight
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics hey, since ya headed to UK sometime soon, can you keep your eyes open for a Marvelman #25 (1954) ?
If you find one at a reasonable price I can send you the cash through PayPal or wire transfer (Western Union) etc.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If you had the choice between a 9.8 or a 9.6 Canadian variant, which one would you go for

I would take the 9.8 and sell it, then buy the 9.6 Canadian variant and use the extra cash to buy another comic.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One can definitely, without exception, determine the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6. So definitely without exception the 9.8

My cup runneth over with sarcasm
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

When given a choice pick the Canadian Price Variant over the US Newsstand or Direct version. The C.P.V. is always going to be scarcer and thus over time worth multiples of it's direct counterpart. It's the best way to invest going forward given how many Direct copies have been printed in the 1980's.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
The only time price variants are worth more are on comics like Star Wars #1-4 and Iron Fist #14 and a few others. Most collectors don't even think about price variants unless they happen to come up upon one.
More often than not, in the end, the highest graded copy and best page quality wins.
Just my personal opinion.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Quote:

When given a choice pick the Canadian Price Variant over the US Newsstand or Direct version. The C.P.V. is always going to be scarcer and thus over time worth multiples of it's direct counterpart. It's the best way to invest going forward given how many Direct copies have been printed in the 1980's.

I dont think this is true. This logic should apply to UK pence versions as well but as far as I know today, all things being equal, the US version of the same books goes for more.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
The only time price variants are worth more are on comics like Star Wars #1-4 and Iron Fist #14 and a few others. Most collectors don't even think about price variants unless they happen to come up upon one.
More often than not, in the end, the highest graded copy and best page quality wins.
Just my personal opinion.

I agree with what you said but I don't agree with the idea that only " a few others " are worth more (unless of course I misunderstood what you meant from that comment ...and if that was the case an apology would be in order). For example, Canadian " Price Variants" for books I listed below go for a big premiums when compared to direct copies sold (some go for 6-9 times the price). And the list I provided below is a small portion of hundreds of other C.P.V.'s that sold for far more money but I did not list. I also believe that collectors will quickly start realizing that books in the 1980's had much larger print runs when compared to the Canadian Price Variants . It would be better going for the Price Variants of that particular book because of the lower print runs...which translates to less in high grade on the census. This is why going forward I invest in Canadian, UK and Australian Price Variants.But to each his own right

Alpha Flight 1
Alpha Flight 33
Archie's girls 321
ASM 238
ASM 239
ASM 252
ASM 265
ASM 275
ASM Ann 16
Avengers 257
Brave and the Bold 200
Batman 353
Batman 357
Batman 358
Batman 359
Batman 366
Batman 368
Batman 386
Batman 387
Batman 400
Batman 404
Batman 405
Batman 406
Batman 407
Batman 408
Batman 409
Batman 423
Blue Beetle 1
Booster Gold 1
Captain America 275
Cheryl Blossom 1
Cheryl Blossom 1 (Vol 2)
Crisis 1
Crisis 3
Crisis 7
Crisis 8
Daredevil 196
Daredevil 197
Daredevil 233
Dazzler 33
DC Comics 87
Detective Comics 523
Detective Comics 524
Detective Comics 525
Detective Comics 526
Detective Comics 532
Detective Comics 566
Detective Comics 575
Detective Comics 576
Detective Comics 577
Detective Comics 578
Detective Comics 583
Droids 1
Elvira's House of Mystery 1
Elvira's House Of Mystery 11
Ewoks 1
Falcon 1
Fury of the Firestorm 23
Fury of The Firestorm 24
Fury of the Firestorm 28
Green Lantern 201
Ghost Rider 81
G.I.Joe 14
GI Joe 21
GI Joe 25
GI Joe 26
Hawkeye 1
Incredible Hulk 300
Jonah Hex 91
Jonah Hex 92
Justice League 1
Legends 1
Legends 3
Longshot 1
Marvel Movie Showcase 1
Marvel Movie Showcase 2
Marvel Graphic Novel 4
Marvel Tails 1
Marvel Team-up 141
Marvel Secret Wars 1
Marvel Secret Wars 8
Marvel Two In One Ann 7
Master of the Universe 1
Masters of the Universe 1 (Star Comics)
New Mutants 1
New Mutants 26
New Teen Titans annual 2
Peter Porker Spectacular Spider-Ham 1
Punisher 1
Punisher 4
Punisher 5
Power Pack 1
Return of The Jedi 1
Rocket Raccoon 1
Spider-Woman 50
Smurfs 1
Spectacular Spider-Man 90
Star Wars 68
Star Wars 100
Star Wars 101
Star Wars 102
Star Wars 103
Star Wars 104
Star Wars 105
Star Wars 106
Suicide Squad 1
Swamp Thing 20
Swamp Thing 21
Swamp Thing 25
Swamp Thing 37
Swamp Thing 49
Swamp Thing 50
Swamp Thing Ann 2
Tales Teen Titans 44
Thing 1
Thor 337
Thor 338
Thor 339
Thundercats 1
Transformers 1
Transformers 2
Transformers 3
Transformers 8
Transformers 18
Transformers 19
Unknown Soldier 268
Web Of Spider_man 1
Wonder Woman 1
Wonder Woman 7
Wonder Woman 9
Wonder Woman 329
X-Factor 1
X-Factor 5
X-Factor 6
X-Men 164
X-Men 168
X-Men 201

*** There are literally hundreds of other books not listed above that sold for premiums (50 percent higher to several multiples higher )
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Quote:

I dont think this is true. This logic should apply to UK pence versions as well but as far as I know today, all things being equal, the US version of the same books goes for more.

The Topic here is a CPV vs a Direct . All you need to do is go on Ebay, ComicLink or GPA and you will see Canadian Price Variants get premiums. It's right there for anyone to see the SOLD prices and see that they get premiums.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
exclude the US newstand version and I agree 100%.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
exclude the US newstand version and I agree 100%.

Yes, we are saying the same thing
I would always pick the Canadian Price Variant first above the US Newsstand or Direct edition when faced with this choice .Second, if given a choice between two books, US Newsstand or a Direct... always pick the US Newsstand

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
A Canadian X-Factor 6 - 1st app of Apocalypse sold for over $600 on Comiclink in 9.8.

I am confident a 9.6 Thor 337 Canadian would be equal to a regular 337 if not more.

If you see a Canadian Transformers 1 raw that looks like NM- or above, snatch it up. That one goes for a pretty penny as well.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

My only Canadian price variant.

It’s no 337, but it’s nothing to scoff at either. The ever so slightest spine tick and tiny scuff along the spine likely has it no higher than 9.6.

If offered a 9.8 direct or US newsstand for this straight up I’d likely turn it down.

Some day it’ll make its way to cbcs...
Post 25 IP   flag post
598060 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?