Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Suicide Squad Reviews902

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So inappropriate.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Not allowed. Clean up the f-bombs if you want to post it
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Man, ninja mod, #outtanowhere like a Randy Orton RKO!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Went to an early screening and unfortunately, the movie is a mess. It's basically a two hour music video, with maybe two complete scenes. The rest is more of a montage.

The only good performances are Viola Davis and Will Smith. Margo Robbie is doing an impression of Harley Quinn, but never owns the character while Jared Leto is just plain awful as the Joker. The rest are forgettable.

Also, there is a lot that was in the trailer that didn't make the actual movie. An example would be when Harley is bartending the squad. The part in the trailer isn't in the movie.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer DC characters, but their movies are terrible, aside from select few Batman films. They do not know how to tell stories in film, and just cram too much fluff into them.
Post 30 IP   flag post

What are the odds some exectutive cut out half the movie so they could sell a 3 hour directors cut blu-ray?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Not much of a story, but the characters make it fun. I thought Margot Robbie killed it; bring on the Harley Quinn movie.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
So inappropriate.

Nice edit to make yourself look better LOL
Post 33 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Earmuffs. Then you can say anything.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley, Stu, you sure are a handsome lil feller!
Post 35 IP   flag post
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2016/08/03/suicide-squad-pivots-dc-into-new-needed-direction/88007172/

Hometown paper gave a positive review, while at the same time noting the negative reviews. I guess I will have to see it at some point. Maybe I should wait on the extended edition. Supposedly, those are better than the theatrical releases.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm seeing this tonight and am quite excited! I've read quite a few negative reviews and more and more positive reviews, there are some trends in both regarding pacing, editing, plot and characterization.

But what makes a good movie? There are many ways to measure this. When it comes to Superhero genre, I just want entertainment and fun. If it can deliver, I consider it a success. I think a lot of reviewers use the same measuring stick for every genre and every movie which I feel is a trap to avoid and will lead to inaccuracies and disappointment.

Sure they can try to include life lessons about great responsibility, morality statements (Watchmen) and stories akin to a parable (BvS) but those things are not required and I don't expect them from these movies. I dont expect them to be perfect; I just want it to be good. and, again, "good" for me is fun.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I've never been a fan of David Ayer's movies so I was never really hyped for this.

That said, I don't think it's fair to say that the critic reviews necessarily miss the mark when it comes to "fun" movies with no higher ambitions.

Movies like the first Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Deadpool all emphasized "fun" over themes and lessons and still received very positive reviews. Transformers was even mentioned earlier in this thread and while the reviews weren't great, it still holds an RT score twice that of Suicide Squad's.

I'm not saying critic scores are always right nor I'm saying you're somehow wrong if you like the movie, but I do think it's incorrect to suggest that people who don't like a movie don't like it because they're "using the wrong measuring stick."
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I've never been a fan of David Ayer's movies so I was never really hyped for this.

That said, I don't think it's fair to say that the critic reviews necessarily miss the mark when it comes to "fun" movies with no higher ambitions.

Movies like the first Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Deadpool all emphasized "fun" over themes and lessons and still received very positive reviews. Transformers was even mentioned earlier in this thread and while the reviews weren't great, it still holds an RT score twice that of Suicide Squad's.

I'm not saying critic scores are always right nor I'm saying you're somehow wrong if you like the movie, but I do think it's incorrect to suggest that people who don't like a movie don't like it because they're "using the wrong measuring stick."

Fair enough and I don't want to appear as though I am generalizing because I do realize there are quite a few good reviewers out there and plenty who are good at what they do.

I stand by what I said though. The trend with these reviews is getting so granular and nitpicky and negative with every new release. Perhaps it is because the bar has been set high by a couple previous films in the genre, perhaps people are starting to feel a bit of superhero movie fatigue or perhaps its a little of both but really do feel like the "fun" aspect of the movies is being overlooked more and more lately. Again, it's not all of the reviewers and reviews and its not everyone, but it's a loud minority. Loud enough for me to notice and formulate this humble opinion
Post 39 IP   flag post
Ever since the first Transformers I haven't cared about reviews. I saw it opening night and absolutely loved it, next day horrible reviews. I knew then some people just agendas, some people just hate everything, some people become movie critics because they have nothing better to do. Some critics bash everything because that's their Schtick. I've lost count now of how many "bad" movies ended up being some of my favorites.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Or their opinions could differ from yours? You make it sound like anyone who dislikes a movie you like has some insidious reason for doing so.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Bayformers is like a terrible nightmare that won't end.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Or their opinions could differ from yours? You make it sound like anyone who dislikes a movie you like has some insidious reason for doing so.

LOL nope not the case. Just like you clearly don't agree with me here and I am perfectly ok with that.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

LOL nope not the case. Just like you clearly don't agree with me here and I am perfectly ok with that.

I believe he was referring to Lego.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
ved it, next day horrible reviews. I knew then some people just agendas, some people just hate everything, some people become movie critics because they have nothing better to do. Some critics bash everything because that's their Sch

Oh gawd, really? Well now I feel like a horse's patoot.

Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

I believe he was referring to Lego.

@JLS_Comics Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I may not entirely agree with your opinion but I can certainly understand where it's coming from.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite No worries man
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

Not my intention at all. I know everyone has different tastes. I have just noticed a trend in "professional" reviews. I wasn't talking about average Joe reviews.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I understood that part. My point is that it feels like you're characterizing professional reviews with all this negative baggage that could easily apply to any average joe review you may read without affording them the possibility that those professional reviews still have reasons, as valid as any user review, to rate a movie the way they did.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I understand that not all pro reviews are like I characterized. I just have seen so many bad examples that I now choose to avoid all of them. When the majority of movies in my top favorites list have all gotten rotten reviews despite being absolutely fantastic movies I have gotten jaded about reviews.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I just came back from seeing it on my extended lunch break, and I give it an A. I liked it more than Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Civil War.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Designer_Toast
I haven't seen it yet but I like rolling this out at every opportunity

Love that show!

When Episode I came out I was seriously excited and the trailer was amazing. After seeing that, I decided to try not to have expectations of any film.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I understand that not all pro reviews are like I characterized. I just have seen so many bad examples that I now choose to avoid all of them. When the majority of movies in my top favorites list have all gotten rotten reviews despite being absolutely fantastic movies I have gotten jaded about reviews.

This might say more about you than it does the reviewers.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Not my intention at all. I know everyone has different tastes. I have just noticed a trend in "professional" reviews. I wasn't talking about average Joe reviews.

In general I tend to like well reviewed movies more than I do poorly reviewed ones. I'd say I'm an average joe. I'm no movie critic but I am kind of selective with what I watch. Ultimately I don't want to spend my time or money watching junk.

It's true what they say though. There's no accounting for taste.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:

This might say more about you than it does the reviewers.

In order for that to be true, it would mean that the only movies I enjoy are completely trash. Which defies all logic. I'm actually a very big movie buff, and very critical of movies when I watch. I always pick out plot holes, and get very frustrated when good movies have such bad last 30 second endings they negate the whole rest of the movie. I'm picky with movies. My movie collection is bigger than my comic collection. I really sincerely doubt that the only reason my favorite movies get trashed is because they are trash.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598014 92 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?