Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Overstreet Price Guide 2016-2017901

Collector sugarman private msg quote post Address this user
i'd like to hear from the graders. what's the difference between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0, and why there isn't a 9.3, 9.5 and 9.7 grade. if you can tell the difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 why not 9.3 and 9.4. heck why should there only be a 8.0 and 8.5? why not and 8.25?

imo, these grades are all ridiculous, and a detriment to the collecting community. i can see vf/nm (9.0), nm- (9.2), nm (9.4), and nm/m (9.6)... shouldn't be anything higher.

the current system has inflated prices for those poor suckers willing to pay enormous prices for imaginary grades. no such thing as a 10.0. every comic has a flaw.

again, imo.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@sugarman read this book, it'll answer all your questions.

Post 27 IP   flag post
For anyone who's confused why the point scale was set up the way it is here's the breakdown, it's very simply a transliteration of the old system in number form.

Post 28 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego that's exactly right. The price guide is a joke.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 are you referring to my remark about it already being 6 months behind by the time it's printed or something else I said?
Post 30 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego yes. The book is antiquated in its efforts to give accurate pricing. It is good for new books maybe, but has no value regarding what a golden age is worth.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I would think it has even less accurate prices for more modern books as the prices fluctuate a lot more. As I said before, I think the articles about the market are more valuable than the actual guide. After reading a few, I would actually pay for a book that just had these and eliminated the whole price guide altogether.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I received the newly published Overstreet Price Guide today.

I have never had one of these price guides before, so I was surprised to find prices are only listed for these grades: 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0, 9.2.

That leaves out a lot of what I would consider valuable pricing data. Especially the data for 9.4 through 9.8.

Is there a good reason for these grade levels to be excluded?

Well the main reason higher grades are excluded is that Overstreet long ago recognized that it was really difficult for any raw seller to try and claims book was much more than a 9.2. He recognized that they do exist and all but it was really getting into stormy waters to try and provide reliable data for 9.4 and above.

As for the pricing, come on, do you really expect any guide to be up to date with current trends? lol! (Not laughing at you just in general) There isn't a guide out there that does ... Not even GPA. It's impossible. Overstreet has never been accurate with the hot/expensive books but it does start putting you in the ballpark and it does give half decent guidance on how to price the less popular stuff. Fact is though you still have to do your homework.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I would think it has even less accurate prices for more modern books as the prices fluctuate a lot more. As I said before, I think the articles about the market are more valuable than the actual guide. After reading a few, I would actually pay for a book that just had these and eliminated the whole price guide altogether.

Ironically, the spiral-bound limited edition is just the pricing info
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
I received the newly published Overstreet Price Guide today.

I have never had one of these price guides before, so I was surprised to find prices are only listed for these grades: 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0, 9.2.

That leaves out a lot of what I would consider valuable pricing data. Especially the data for 9.4 through 9.8.

Is there a good reason for these grade levels to be excluded?

Well the main reason higher grades are excluded is that Overstreet long ago recognized that it was really difficult for any raw seller to try and claims book was much more than a 9.2. He recognized that they do exist and all but it was really getting into stormy waters to try and provide reliable data for 9.4 and above.

Yes. They tried to stay up-to-date by reporting on 9.4s and higher in the monthly OCPR (ala GPA). Of course they chose to print it in a newsletter instead of putting it on the web :facepalm:

http://www.gemstonepub.com/overstreets-comic-price-review
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have an issue with how they have set up the guide grade-wise. It's not like anyone looking for above a 9.2 would even use the guide. (Another reason to not to print them.)

I have never really understood the rage against OSPG. Use it or not it really doesn't matter because it never claimed to be the final word on comic prices. Anyone looking for any price guide to be that then they are going to be disappointed.

As well, when you find those dealers that still use the guide for their pricing you should be able to get more expensive book for quite a discount. (You may have to pay more for the less popular books though)
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMike
The price guide is just one tool you have these days.

This.
Overstreet has always been behind the times when it comes to hot books. A guide that comes out once a year simply can't respond to fast moving trends. It was a little better when they published the smaller price updates years ago. I thought that was a good idea.

Yes, it would be nice if they had an online fluid price guide but that's not happening anytime soon. That's just not what they do.

Overstreet still has value as a price guide for raw books. I still see it in use by collectors and dealers all the time. When it comes to pricing, it certainly isn't the "bible" as it has been called in the past. It is flawed, yes, but most guides are also flawed to a certain degree.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I don't have an issue with how they have set up the guide grade-wise. It's not like anyone looking for above a 9.2 would even use the guide. (Another reason to not to print them.)

I have never really understood the rage against OSPG. Use it or not it really doesn't matter because it never claimed to be the final word on comic prices. Anyone looking for any price guide to be that then they are going to be disappointed.

Flippers and speculators are the ones who rage against the OPG. Real collectors use it as intended.
Post 38 IP   flag post
597874 38 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?