Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Writers/Artists you avoid, or you always trust?9005

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I am curious if there are any writers or artists you guys avoid when picking up books. For me, every time I see John Romita Jr. on a book, I seriously hesitate. The art is just too distracting.

Alternatively, whose books do you always pick up? I'll grab almost anything by Eric Powell. I love The Goon and Hillbilly.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Like a lot of others here, I avoid liefeld.

Current artists I like are Sam Keith, Jim Lee, Clayton Crain, and of course McFarlane.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Some of my top writers are Garth Ennis, Charles Soule, and Jason Aaron. I’ll give anything they write the benefit of the doubt.

I do try to avoid Andy Diggle, his stuff just isn’t very good, and Mark Millar, a lot of his stuff I’ve read just has this immature, “edgy” cynicism that I’m not especially fond of. I still want to read Superman: Red Son and I enjoyed Old Man Logan well-enough but it also had those elements I disliked though not as pronounced, possibly because it was a mainstream book and not an independent title
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Current artists I like are Sam Keith


Huge Keith fan. Hence the username. I am bummed the Batman Maxx crossover has been so delayed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Wyldchyld private msg quote post Address this user
I love anything done from Billy Tucci. Love his art and he is just a super nice guy. He will be at Heroes Con again this year.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I like a lot of what Jeff Lemire puts out recently
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Anything Alan Moore is a must. Ostensibly I avoid Frank Miller art--with caveats to Dark Knight and early Daredevil.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Chino24 private msg quote post Address this user
Some of my best experiences have been with: George Perez, Marv Wolfman, Jim Starlin, Jim Shooter, Brian Stelfreeze, Simon Bisely, Joe Rubinstein, Bob McLeod, Larry Hama, Dan Slott, and of course the the late, great Stan Lee. I couldn't recommend any of these guys enough. All were really cool - especially Perez, Shooter, Stelfreeze, and Starlin. They will talk to you so ask them questions about their experiences/comics!

Bad experiences: I have not had a truly awful experience with anyone really, but I have a different experience with Neal Adams every time I see him it seems. First time he was awesome and really nice. The very next year he was cussing about something when I saw him and seemed very annoyed. I didn't even really try to talk to him that much because of it. His wife I believe also came after me for money after receiving signatures when there was no sign posted about the cost per signature, and the year before when I met him it was first two free (all sigs after were $5 each). Now signatures were just $20 each and nothing free - which is fine but a heads up would have been cool. I mentioned they should get a sign, paid them, and walked off after getting 2 of my personal books signed and 2 of my buddy's books (4 total for $80 bucks). It was weird. I went back again another year and he just smiled, signed my book, and gave it back to me. I try to be quick there now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Can't do Mattina with all the rip-off BS. Thought about just stopping buying any DC since they keep giving him work.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Can't go wrong with Terry Moore or Brian K. Vaughan, most of the time Grant Morrison is also a safe bet!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@Themaxx35 me too. I think it comes back end of this month though last time I checked. I hope they don’t just end it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Robber Liefeld
Al Milgrom
Humberto Ramos (Though he has 2 covers I like)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
You would avoid Humberto? He's one of the nicest guys I've ever gotten a sketch from - and I have many.

I don't care for JSC at shows, seems really unapproachable to me for some reason. Kind of a big head I think.

Mignola is super nice and so is Art Adams.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Terry88 I think the thread is asking which artists and writers you like enough that you’re willing to buy a book just because their name is attached (or the opposite). Not necessarily writers/artists that provide a good experience in person
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm, missed the theme: Creators that I would gladly spend time with again would be the greats like Alex Toth(RIP)and Michael Turner(RIP) plus Jim Steranko (a must for anyone). Others would include Starlin, Shooter, Gulacy, Mignola, Sam Keith, Jim Lee and Terry/Rachel Dodson. Nix on Millar(F.).
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a horrible person because I don't always pay attention to the artist/writer. I collect characters.

That being said, i would avoid Brian Azzarello like the plague. His "For Tomorrow" Superman run caused me to step away from comics for years.

As for artists/writers i do like, Johns, Morrison, Waid. Claremont from the old school.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Walt Simonson is an oft forgotten legend both as a writer and artist
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh gotcha, same comment holds!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
I really dislike Greg Land's art, which is unfortunate because they keep putting him on books in my pull list.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino24
Some of my best experiences have been with: George Perez, Marv Wolfman, Jim Starlin, Jim Shooter, Brian Stelfreeze, Simon Bisely, Joe Rubinstein, Bob McLeod, Larry Hama, Dan Slott, and of course the the late, great Stan Lee. I couldn't recommend any of these guys enough. All were really cool - especially Perez, Shooter, Stelfreeze, and Starlin. They will talk to you so ask them questions about their experiences/comics!

Bad experiences: I have not had a truly awful experience with anyone really, but I have a different experience with Neal Adams every time I see him it seems. First time he was awesome and really nice. The very next year he was cussing about something when I saw him and seemed very annoyed. I didn't even really try to talk to him that much because of it. His wife I believe also came after me for money after receiving signatures when there was no sign posted about the cost per signature, and the year before when I met him it was first two free (all sigs after were $5 each). Now signatures were just $20 each and nothing free - which is fine but a heads up would have been cool. I mentioned they should get a sign, paid them, and walked off after getting 2 of my personal books signed and 2 of my buddy's books (4 total for $80 bucks). It was weird. I went back again another year and he just smiled, signed my book, and gave it back to me. I try to be quick there now.
This must have been some time ago. He charges $50 per sig now.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Robber Liefeld
Al Milgrom
Humberto Ramos (Though he has 2 covers I like)
I thought Al Milgrom was pretty nice to me. I bought an old fanzine of his for $10 and he also signed it. It was a good experience.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I have tried many times to read the New Batman books all the way back to the 1st issue but a just can’t get into it. Every time I give it a try I end up so angry and disappointed. This goes for everything else I have read by Tom King. It has literally chased me away from Batman books all together.

There is only a small hand full of modern titles I am currently reading. Those are: Immortal Hulk, BPRD Devil You Know, Walking Dead, Redneck, & Manifest Destiny. I am about to check out the DCeased series as well, so I am hoping it is good.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Robber Liefeld
Al Milgrom
Humberto Ramos (Though he has 2 covers I like)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
You would avoid Humberto? He's one of the nicest guys I've ever gotten a sketch from - and I have many.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Terry88 I think the thread is asking which artists and writers you like enough that you’re willing to buy a book just because their name is attached (or the opposite). Not necessarily writers/artists that provide a good experience in person


My list above is my AVOID list. And correct, not because they're boobs, but because I don't like their work. A few hours ago Mike Royer was telling me about his recent trip to a show in New Hampshire where he spent much of his post-show time talking with Milgrom. He says, "You think I talk a lot?"
LOL
I might be more interested in meeting the man, but I still don't like his art. Luckily he was more of a cover artist for books I want/need.

On the other side of the coin, if an item is at all connected to Mike Royer (i.e. something he can sign), I get it. I'm even going to have him sign the sleeve to my ARGO dvd LOL!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I can’t believe I forgot to add Dan Jurgens to my list. The death and return of Superman was got me collecting as a kid. I also really enjoyed his most recent action comics run and I’m only sticking with Nightwing because he’s on it now.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
I can’t believe I forgot to add Dan Jurgens to my list. The death and return of Superman was got me collecting as a kid. I also really enjoyed his most recent action comics run and I’m only sticking with Nightwing because he’s on it now.

I've actually enjoyed Batman Beyond.
I really liked Azzarello's Wonder Woman run. Tom King is decent, but his plots are soooo sloooooow to develop.
Honestly, I really like Mark Waid. His development of impulse was actually really fun and Kingdom Come is one of the best story lines ever...EVER!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Mark Shultz!!!!!

Xenozoic Tales
Sub Human!!!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Mark Shultz!!!!!

Xenozoic Tales
Sub Human!!!!!


I won this from Mr. Shultz at a small high school show some years ago in a lottery. I put a few tickets in the bowl for $0.25 apiece and voila! Its the splash page for a prince valiant trade paperback


Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Avoid: Liefeld, McFarlane, Campbell, John Byrne (post FF)

Faves: Brian Wood, Terry Moore, Jen Bartel, Emanuela Lupacchino, Gaydos, Rick Remender, Tom Taylor, Jenny Frison, Mark Brooks, and many more.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Faves: Cockrum, Byrne, Silvestri, Portacio and Jim Lee on X-Men. Byrne on FF. Claremont on X-Men from his start until some time in the 90s. Ennis on the Punisher. I've read a few other Ennis-penned series (Red Team, Johnny Red) and have really liked his stories.

Avoid: I won't usually pay for Liefeld's work (X-Force and New Mutants were exceptions because I was working on runs), but it is fun to point out his... we'll just call them perspectives when drawing. I avoid the majority of variants so that puts Campbell on the avoid list. Frank Miller post-80s.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I can overlook most art shortcomings if the story holds up.

Loved Byrne and Simonson's work back in the '80s on FF and Thor. Unfortunately, good artists who only think they can write are a lot more common than artists who actually can.

Only a few writers I actively avoid. Ann Nocenti, who took the New 52 Catwoman (one of my favorites of the reboot) and made it utterly unreadable. Frank Miller, because of the raging bonfire of misogyny that chars its way through everything he writes.

Mostly, I try to judge each story on its own merits, and have various tropes I can't stand more than writers/artists I can't stand.

Of course, I only buy about four or five titles these days anyway.
Post 30 IP   flag post
237343 31 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute