Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

Signature Verification8951

Collector TMoneyLove private msg quote post Address this user
I sent in seven books to get Signature Verification! I personally witnessed two of the signatures! All seven came back unverified! I lost hundreds of dollars! Beckett doesn’t understand that Stan Lee’s signature can be sloppy at times! Beware! You can lose a lot of money!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Beckett knows full well signatures can be sloppy. if they're sloppy enough they cannot verify them, because they don't have anything close enough in their available verified samples. but Pink Label VSP is always a gamble. just because they can't verify them doesn't mean they're not real, just means they don't have exemplars which match well enough. that's the way the system works. it's not perfect, but it's not a 100% guarantee.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@TMoneyLove this thread is going to get interesting.
Let me see if I'm understanding the situation here completely. You sent off seven comics to get Signature Verification, and they all came back graded but in regular slabs?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TMoneyLove private msg quote post Address this user
Yes! You can choose to not get them encapsulated! I had faith they were fine so I also had them graded and encapsulated! They came back blue label with no mention of signature and with really low grades! If you look the case numbers up on the CBCS website you can see that they were not verified! So they are useless! It was mistake that cost me hundreds of dollars! Beware! I am sure Beckett is great with sports signatures not sure about comic signatures!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yup the grades were hit because they were graded with the signatures as writing on the cover
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
do you have your invoice handy? did you actually submit them as VSP submission? there are two different forms, if you submit them at a show. not sure about submission via the website. you have to specifically pay for VSP and then if they didn't VSP them, they should have called or communicated with you, somehow, that they couldn't verify the signatures and then send them back to you or still grade them, anyway. if they were submitted NON-VSP system, pre-Beckett buyout, they would communicate with you to ask if you WANTED VSP, since they were signed books. better check your e-mails, including your spam e-mails, but IF you used the proper VSP submission form, you should be able to contact them about getting the situation fixed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@cyrano0521 The online submission form allows you to select “encapsulate even if verification fails” for each signature so they won’t necessarily call you since you’d already indicated your preference on the form
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Why would someone choose to have signed books encapsulated if the signature fails the verification screening when the reason you are sending them in is to have the signature verified?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@TMoneyLove didn’t do his research (or ask cbcs rep the right questions);to know writing on the cover is considered a defect per cbcs grading policy (different than cgc), or cbcs did not contact him when they failed verification.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Why would someone choose to have signed books encapsulated if the signature fails the verification screening when the reason you are sending them in is to have the signature verified?

Many do
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
The warning here is legit in that you need to fully understand the policy/process before submitting. Select Do NOT encapsulate if they fail VSP. Remember, they're not saying the sigs are fake. They're saying the variability in sigs is such that they cannot verify. But without verifying, what you have are a bunch of comics with doodles on them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
Quote:

Many do

I can totally see why people would. If it's for your PC the color of the label isn't a deal breaker on encapsulation. Would a red label be preferred? of course, but if it fails verification I'd still want it encapsulated especially if I witnessed the signing, meaning I know 100% the sig is real. Encapsulation is still preservation.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I use the “encapsulation if verification fails” option if I have both witnessed and verified signatures on the same book. I haven’t had a book fail verification yet but if the verification should fail the book should still get a yellow label for the witnessed signature, albeit with a lower grade
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I use the “encapsulation if verification fails” option if I have both witnessed and verified signatures on the same book. I haven’t had a book fail verification yet but if the verification should fail the book should still get a yellow label for the witnessed signature, albeit with a lower grade

I agree, i do this as well, but typically I'd do this through CGC where the comic is graded and you get the conditional green label with the "writing" not impacting grade. Something about those high numbers always feels good, even if it's in green. Even if I prefer the CBCS, not having an "accurate" grade on the comic due to the unverified sig would turn me off. I don't blame CBCS at all for this process/method, I completely understand it. I would just choose CGC in these cases. I really want CBCS to keep grinding away. It doesn't do any of us any good if there is only one grading company.
Post 14 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I agree, i do this as well, but typically I'd do this through CGC where the comic is graded and you get the conditional green label with the "writing" not impacting grade.

Just FYI... I have personally experienced CGC lowering grade on a universal label because of an unwitnessed artist's signature. They don't always seem to give signed books a green label.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:
I agree, i do this as well, but typically I'd do this through CGC where the comic is graded and you get the conditional green label with the "writing" not impacting grade.

Just FYI... I have personally experienced CGC lowering grade on a universal label because of an unwitnessed artist's signature. They don't always seem to give signed books a green label.

That's where the "conditional" comes in. The submitter chooses Blue or Green. Not sure what the default is if neither is specified, but from your post I'm guessing Blue.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Never failed a VSP...OP looking funny in the light
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
In the time CBCS has been open for business and offered this service, I have only sent in 1 comic for VSP, all others have been AW.

The lone comic came back as unverified. Through multiple emails, phone service was not up and running at the time, asked what is the exact process for verifying the signature. The response was the team will take another look at the signature. The 2nd time the comic was checked it passed verification and was shipped out. The process added an extra 2 weeks but just glad they got it right.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info, i've never seen this, but that doesn't mean much. I did not choose a green label when I got one. It was one of the first comics I ever got graded myself and I didn't understand the signature witness process completely. I also have a book with a sig on the interior cover that was missed. Should be a green label, but is a 9.8 blue. Will eventually get it submitted for a red label with CBCS and hope it's verified. @Mr_SigS I'll have to pay attention if this comes up for me again to see where you make the choice.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I submit books for VSP every month. I only have had one fail but resubmitted it a few months late and it passed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an example of a CGC Blue Label with "Name written on cover in marker." I bought it already slabbed because I didn't have this issue and the signature looked legit to me. Maybe someday I will submit to CBCS for a Red label.

Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info, i've never seen this, but that doesn't mean much. I did not choose a green label when I got one. It was one of the first comics I ever got graded myself and I didn't understand the signature witness process completely. I also have a book with a sig on the interior cover that was missed. Should be a green label, but is a 9.8 blue. Will eventually get it submitted for a red label with CBCS and hope it's verified. @Mr_SigS I'll have to pay attention if this comes up for me again to see where you make the choice.

Interior signatures are treated differently than signatures on the cover. There are several blue label 9.8s with interior signatures in cases from the cgc.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneyLove
I sent in seven books to get Signature Verification! I personally witnessed two of the signatures! All seven came back unverified! I lost hundreds of dollars! Beckett doesn’t understand that Stan Lee’s signature can be sloppy at times! Beware! You can lose a lot of money!

Can you post photos of all the signatures?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:

Interior signatures are treated differently than signatures on the cover. There are several blue label 9.8s with interior signatures in cases from the cgc.

See, this is why these forums are so useful. This seems like some random stuff that there's no reason for anyone to know.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Ed, I’m not 100% sure but I would think for comics in grades less than 9.0 writing on the cover May not impact the grade significantly. So if this comic was an 8.0 without the signature and the writing only drops it to a 7.5, I would think 99.9% of those submitting this comic would take a 0.5 hit to have a blue label rather than an 8.0 green label.

Just throwing that out there. Probably green vs. blue label is a case by case determination for cgc graders.
Post 25 IP   flag post
598002 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?