Post 52 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

CC

mm
Post 53 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
My introduction to Indie comics and the wonder that is Brunner!!!

Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I think I have that Crusaders issue! Awesome!
Post 55 IP   flag post

@michaelekrupp EXCELLENT THREAD...

Marty
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 57 IP   flag post

Post 58 IP   flag post
Steranko...

Post 59 IP   flag post
Don't have #1 scanned..

Post 60 IP   flag post
80's reprint of a 70's comic I believe...

Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread. I got back into comics in the 80's. I have quite a few of what's already been posted. Here's 2 of my favs.

Post 62 IP   flag post
Hmmmm! GCD does not have this image. I was wondering if it's the same Avatar that started publishing in 2002. If it is, it's their oldest publication.

Post 63 IP   flag post

Post 64 IP   flag post

Post 65 IP   flag post

Post 66 IP   flag post

Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user

More Hamsters...I didn't even realize Sakai did this cover
Post 68 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Great Thread and some very memorable books you all have posted.

I credit the eighties independent titles as what really got me back into comics.

The diversity in all of the different artwork that began really pushing the envelope, as well as the more detailed mature storylines was really what grabbed hold of me.

The Title that started it all for me was Grim Jack in 1984, when I purchased Issue #5 "Eternity Road".
The Extreme details of John Ostranders Trans-Dimensional city of Cynosure was beyond belief and still remains one of my all time favorite story lines, and Tim Truman's Gritty and "Dirty" artwork really brang it all to life. I have since completed a high grade Grim Jack Run, but the Tim Truman Issues are really the heart and soul of the Series.

I firmly believe The John Ostrander/Tim Truman Grim Jack Work are masterpieces that are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated comic book works in the hobby.

The last page in Grim Jack #5 "Eternity Road" really left me hanging. I couldn't wait for the next issue!

So it was without question that I was immediately drawn to Tim Truman's Scout Series. Outstanding story and art from Truman, While I indeed loved all the Rock N Roll, Guns and Bikes action, The Scout character was not quite as strong as Grim Jack. It goes without question I maintain a High Grade Scout run though.

Who could ever forget the Impact Judge Dredd would have on the world of comics. The John Wagner/Brian Bolland combo is the stuff comic book legends are made of! I couldn't ever imagine a comic book world without our favorite Law officer of the future. In fact our current world could use a few more no holds barred Judge Dredd's.

Im still looking for a few upgrade Issue's for my Dredd run, Including a 9.4-9.6 Issue #1, Which is getting kind of pricey.

Another of my favorite Indie titles from the eighties was Chuck Dixon's Airboy stories. I have always been intrigued by stories from the war era. Obviously by now you know the Tim Truman Art on the early issues was a big draw for me as well. Of coarse a HOT Valkyrie cover by Dave Stevens never hurts your cause! All this Action coming to you Bi-weekly for ONLY .50 cents!!! Ahh the good ole days!

Of coarse ANY serious discussion about eighties Indies titles has to start with Howard Chaykins "American Flagg". Chaykin's masterpiece almost single handily moved the comic book genre forward to the next level of maturity in story telling. His knack for drawing the reader into the story by establishing a character base that plays through out the story line and that always makes you not only want to turn the page, BUT have to turn the page to find out what happens next. With multiple plot lines of political scandal, police and Government corruption, to Ruben's sexual escapades, Chaykin masterfully weaves them all full circle.
If one has no American Flagg, Im not sure I can even call ya a comic enthusiast.

While it is true that many of the Independent publishers were only around for a short time, I strongly believe that they hold a VERY significant distinction in the timeline of comic book history. It gave Creators, for the first time the ability to work outside of the Comics Code of Authority, and gave writers and artist the creative freedom to push the boundaries of their creativity with more creative and mature storylines. It also paved the way for creative rights issues that gave Writers and Artist the rights to their work.

The short of it? It was good shit that pushed the industry to the next level. I believe some of the most influential work ever done in comic books was done during this brief, but very fruitful time period.

While these substantial comic book works still seem to be overlooked and under valued, They will always remain as top tier books in my collection, as there have been very few comics printed since their departure that have come remotely close to reaching the creative level of the eighties Indie books.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Very well said! Grimjack is still one of my all time favorites. #1 (A Shade if Truth) would probably make my top ten comics of my childhood list. Also agree with you on the importance of American Flagg!. It was this comic that laid the foundation that comic like Frank Miller’s Dark Knight would build upon.

@Jesse_O That particular issue of Warp was also my introduction to First Comics. I believe the backup story in that issue is also the first published work of writer John Ostrander. I remember being so excited by what they were doing back around 1983 and 1984. I really thought they were going to be the next Marvel for a while and be around forever. Somehow they lost the magic as they transformed into a corporate gremlin 😕.

Post 70 IP   flag post
@DavidM Although Capital Comics didn’t make it very long, they did put out some great books, all of which went on to outlive the company.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Steranko...

Streranko also did the cover for issue #2.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Referenced earlier in the thread but not yet posted: Vortex’s Mr. X.
Post 73 IP   flag post
@martymann I still need several issues of Jonny Quest. That’s another one to add to my con list! That’s half the reason I started this thread, so thanks for the reminder on that one🙂.

Everyone please keep posting! I am enjoying the hell out of this! I may not be able to post anymore for a few days as I have to work doubles Sunday and Monday, but I will definitely be watching.
Post 74 IP   flag post

CC

mm
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Great Thread and some very memorable books you all have posted.

I credit the eighties independent titles as what really got me back into comics.

The diversity in all of the different artwork that began really pushing the envelope, as well as the more detailed mature storylines was really what grabbed hold of me.

The Title that started it all for me was Grim Jack in 1984, when I purchased Issue #5 "Eternity Road".
The Extreme details of John Ostranders Trans-Dimensional city of Cynosure was beyond belief and still remains one of my all time favorite story lines, and Tim Truman's Gritty and "Dirty" artwork really brang it all to life. I have since completed a high grade Grim Jack Run, but the Tim Truman Issues are really the heart and soul of the Series.

I firmly believe The John Ostrander/Tim Truman Grim Jack Work are masterpieces that are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated comic book works in the hobby.

The last page in Grim Jack #5 "Eternity Road" really left me hanging. I couldn't wait for the next issue!

So it was without question that I was immediately drawn to Tim Truman's Scout Series. Outstanding story and art from Truman, While I indeed loved all the Rock N Roll, Guns and Bikes action, The Scout character was not quite as strong as Grim Jack. It goes without question I maintain a High Grade Scout run though.

Who could ever forget the Impact Judge Dredd would have on the world of comics. The John Wagner/Brian Bolland combo is the stuff comic book legends are made of! I couldn't ever imagine a comic book world without our favorite Law officer of the future. In fact our current world could use a few more no holds barred Judge Dredd's.

Im still looking for a few upgrade Issue's for my Dredd run, Including a 9.4-9.6 Issue #1, Which is getting kind of pricey.

Another of my favorite Indie titles from the eighties was Chuck Dixon's Airboy stories. I have always been intrigued by stories from the war era. Obviously by now you know the Tim Truman Art on the early issues was a big draw for me as well. Of coarse a HOT Valkyrie cover by Dave Stevens never hurts your cause! All this Action coming to you Bi-weekly for ONLY .50 cents!!! Ahh the good ole days!

Of coarse ANY serious discussion about eighties Indies titles has to start with Howard Chaykins "American Flagg". Chaykin's masterpiece almost single handily moved the comic book genre forward to the next level of maturity in story telling. His knack for drawing the reader into the story by establishing a character base that plays through out the story line and that always makes you not only want to turn the page, BUT have to turn the page to find out what happens next. With multiple plot lines of political scandal, police and Government corruption, to Ruben's sexual escapades, Chaykin masterfully weaves them all full circle.
If one has no American Flagg, Im not sure I can even call ya a comic enthusiast.

While it is true that many of the Independent publishers were only around for a short time, I strongly believe that they hold a VERY significant distinction in the timeline of comic book history. It gave Creators, for the first time the ability to work outside of the Comics Code of Authority, and gave writers and artist the creative freedom to push the boundaries of their creativity with more creative and mature storylines. It also paved the way for creative rights issues that gave Writers and Artist the rights to their work.

The short of it? It was good shit that pushed the industry to the next level. I believe some of the most influential work ever done in comic books was done during this brief, but very fruitful time period.

While these substantial comic book works still seem to be overlooked and under valued, They will always remain as top tier books in my collection, as there have been very few comics printed since their departure that have come remotely close to reaching the creative level of the eighties Indie books.

I love Dredd and grimjack. The eagle, and later fleetway series are what led me to collectingb 2000ad.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
@martymann I still need several issues of Jonny Quest. That’s another one to add to my con list! That’s half the reason I started this thread, so thanks for the reminder on that one🙂.

Which ones are you looking for?

CC

mm
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp

Everyone please keep posting! I am enjoying the hell out of this! I may not be able to post anymore for a few days as I have to work doubles Sunday and Monday, but I will definitely be watching.

Speaking of Jonny Quest, as a kid of the seventies the original Jonny Quest Episodes that first aired in 1964-65 were light years ahead of any animated cartoons of the time and obviously a huge favorite of ours as kids. It featured more realistic art, characters, and stories than Hanna-Barbera's previous cartoon programs and was one of the first, If not the first animated cartoon series to run in a prime time slot and ran on ABC in primetime on early Friday nights for one season from 1964 to 1965.

I was excited when comico released their comic book series and indeed I purchased them feverishly!

The series was written by William Messner-Loebs and ran for 31 issues, with the first issue featuring Doug Wildey's artwork. The series went on to feature work by many of the comic industries top names including Adam kubert, Dave Stevens, Tom Yeates, Dan Adkins, Dan Spiegle, Bill Sienkiewicz and Joe Stanton.

This was another aspect of what made the Indies from the eighties so great. The battle over creator and artists' rights was raging at the time and many of the top talents in the industry was gravitating away from the big two (Marvel/DC), in search of their creative freedom and many of the top talents were more than willing to take their work to some of these Independent publishers.

The Jonny Quest Comico series was indeed a wonderful work of art and story, but those early animated episodes that were etched upon my brain as a kid created unrealistic expectations that the comic series could not ever stand a chance to exceed. As good as the Comico series was, It was always unfairly judged against the sentimental value of the animated series.

I do retain a complete run of the Comico Series. I also have the following run of the first 14 issues of the series that will be up on Ebay. They are all beautiful one owner books that I purchased at the time they were issued. I believe they are all 9.2 or better. If you have any interest please feel free to contact me.

I also have a nice set available of the Jonny Quest Classic 3-Issue mini series that features 3 of the classic TV stories from the original animated cartoon series.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Great thread. Here are some additional ones.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Post 80 IP   flag post
615412 226 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?