Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Obscure Movie Recommendation Thread8941

Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure if this would be considered obscure but I don't know many people that have seen it. I might watch it today with a margarita

Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helric1
I'm not sure if this would be considered obscure but I don't know many people that have seen it. I might watch it today with a margarita

There were some funny moments in that.
Post 102 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 103 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 104 IP   flag post

Post 105 IP   flag post

Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

This poster is spectacular. From the title & his pose, it looks like a Kung-fu film. Then, the description on the poster makes it sound like he has super powers. It’s ultimately a heist movie, but you really don’t get that from the poster itself. Gotta check this one out.

Side note: his son Michael is my favorite actor. Crazy how much they look alike.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Here’s one I forgot to post earlier. I love this movie! William H. Macy plays a slimy movie critic who gets in some hot water.

It’s a modern film noir, with him breaking the fourth wall, discussing with the audience about what his next move should be. It’s a great dark comedy.

This was a made-for-TV movie for TNT, I believe. I found it back in the days of getting discs in the mail from Netflix.

Macy adapted the screenplay (or teleplay) from a Donald Westlake book.

Post 108 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 109 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Seeing your post reminded me of an obscure made for tv movie that I absolutely LOVED when it came out and I haven't been able to find anything other than a bootleg for. The first half aired on NBC right after Superbowl XXIII on January 22, 1989. I believe the second half aired the next night. It is based on a David Morrell novel of the same name. I had already read the novel by this point and was anxious to watch the "mini-series". Well, I've looked for years to find a high quality vcr tape or dvd of it. In looking for a poster to go with this post, I ran across a site that has digitally remastered it and is in Dolby Digital 5.1!!!!! It is 180 minutes and priced at $15.95 plus shipping!!! I plan on ordering it ASAP!!!! Like I said, I have looked for YEARS for this!!!! All I could ever find was a dvd that looked it was made by copying a vcr tape of the aired show. You can tell where they cut the commercials out!!! It's very distracting!!! I'm looking forward to getting this and watching it!! If not for this thread, who knows how long it would have been before I looked for it again!!!

Post 110 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Here’s one I forgot to post earlier. I love this movie! William H. Macy plays a slimy movie critic who gets in some hot water.

It’s a modern film noir, with him breaking the fourth wall, discussing with the audience about what his next move should be. It’s a great dark comedy.

This was a made-for-TV movie for TNT, I believe. I found it back in the days of getting discs in the mail from Netflix.

Oh! Good to know. I like Macy a lot, but I LOVE Westlake books. I haven't even heard of this one. Was the title of the book the same?

Here's another great one (comedy) with Macy. Also has Philip Seymour Hoffman, Clark Gregg, Alec Baldwin (brilliant!), Julia Stiles, and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

Oh! Good to know. I like Macy a lot, but I LOVE Westlake books. I haven't even heard of this one. Was the title of the book the same?

Here's another great one (comedy) with Macy. Also has Philip Seymour Hoffman, Clark Gregg, Alec Baldwin (brilliant!), Julia Stiles, and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Heard of this one, the title anyway. But I’ll have to look into it. Sounds good.
Post 112 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid As far as what book ‘A Slight Case Of Murder’ is based on, I can’t remember. I’ll check & see if the opening credits mention it.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@00slim Seeing your post reminded me of an obscure made for tv movie that I absolutely LOVED when it came out and I haven't been able to find anything other than a bootleg for. The first half aired on NBC right after Superbowl XXIII on January 22, 1989. I believe the second half aired the next night. It is based on a David Morrell novel of the same name. I had already read the novel by this point and was anxious to watch the "mini-series". Well, I've looked for years to find a high quality vcr tape or dvd of it. In looking for a poster to go with this post, I ran across a site that has digitally remastered it and is in Dolby Digital 5.1!!!!! It is 180 minutes and priced at $15.95 plus shipping!!! I plan on ordering it ASAP!!!! Like I said, I have looked for YEARS for this!!!! All I could ever find was a dvd that looked it was made by copying a vcr tape of the aired show. You can tell where they cut the commercials out!!! It's very distracting!!! I'm looking forward to getting this and watching it!! If not for this thread, who knows how long it would have been before I looked for it again!!!

Sounds interesting!

And your post reminded me of this two part mini series!

So good!

Post 114 IP   flag post

Post 115 IP   flag post

Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
This is a very good western movie with a "twist."
I enjoyed it.

Post 117 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Dated is really too small a word for this movie, but a glance back at a late 1980s Los Angeles on the eve of nuclear war still makes for a good show.

Post 118 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Do not watch this one with kids. Do not watch it if you're easily offended.

This movie is basically a bunch of short films tenuously strung together. They're intended to be offensive. They're intended to be juvenile. They're intended to just be "wrong." Some hit and some miss. Sometimes they hit just because of the talent of the actors playing them out. For example, the first vignette stars Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet. If I told you the plot, you'd think it was just stupid. You'd be right. But the actors make it. Jackman is great, of course. But it's really Winslet that does it. She sells the plot like it's a four-bedroom condo with a view.

It's streaming on Netflix now.

Post 119 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Do not watch this one with kids. Do not watch it if you're easily offended.

That reminded me of a great film - HILARIOUS - called "Bad Words." Great, but also very, very offensive. Just in the gutter, pretty much the whole movie. Erudite + gutter. With a heart. Here's the trailer.

Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
A horror comedy that is great:

Another horror/comedy:

A musical horror comedy:

Horror in a sub:

A (very) stupid comedy, but so funny:

A very under-appreciated horror movie:

A fake rock documentary:

I loved this one when it came out:

Bruce Campbell, I shouldn't need to say more:

Another under-appreciated horror movie:

A great Australian horror movie:

Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 122 IP   flag post

Post 123 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok - this is a movie that is coming out on dvd tomorrow. It was released as a video on demand. It is a low budget ($30,000) horror film, but the trailer and review looks pretty awesome!! It's called "Head Hunter". I suppose it can't be classified as "obscure" yet, but I thought others here might like it.

BloodyDisgusting review
Post 124 IP   flag post
Ginger from Ginger Snaps is freaking hot
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O wow... The Head Hunter looks great! I'll be adding that to my collection.
Thanks for showing us that one.
Post 126 IP   flag post

Post 127 IP   flag post

Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon77

Post 129 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 130 IP   flag post
600651 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?