Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Obscure Movie Recommendation Thread8941

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This was only in the theaters about 2 weeks and it had a very limited release. I think only one theater in Atlanta showed it. I made a point to see it in the theater.

Idiocracy (2006)

Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if these are obscure or not...but I don't often here people talking about them.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112368/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089114/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091059/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And for WORST MOVIE EVER!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091981/

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
A Scanner Darkly (2006)

An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result.

Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Sounds like this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1007727_fortress
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Hebrew Hammer.....

Seriously....you need to watch this for a good laugh

Tusk.....for a funny and deaply disturbing film
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

Fast forward to 2001 and we are graced with Donnie Darko. This one is almost an acquired taste. The more you watch it, the better it gets.

I liked it so much that I commissioned a 12' x 36' acrylic painting of Frank, the bunny. He hangs proudly in my bedroom.

Donnie darko would have been my pick for the thread ... one of my favorites
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
But here's another favorite from 1998

Dark city

An absolute must watch .. edit .. best not to know anything about the film going in for your first sitting .. I was totally immersed in the theatre

Post 32 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If you're into that spaghetti western life...
Good luck finding a complete English language copy of The Big Gundown. Whoever edited that for a North American release should have been fired.

One of the best non-Leone spaghettis made.

The Great Silence is amazing. It takes the silent anti-hero to a new level, and swaps out deserts and dirt for mountains and snow.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Equilibrium is one of my favorites. Hobo with a shotgun was pretty wild too. Poor guy just wanted to mow yards and live a simple life.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Frankenstein's Army
The best thing about it is there is no CG. Epic monsters that will give you nightmares.
Post 35 IP   flag post

Post 36 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte That definitely sounds like it!!!!! Thank you!!! You have no idea how much I have searched for the title of that movie!!!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O "Band of the Hand" was great. I watched that when I was kid.
Post 38 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

You are most welcome. I wish I could help on your other film, but the amount of snake women out there is more than you might think.

=(
Post 39 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
The first one is based in the Australian outback. A school is attacked by terrorist and a female teacher escapes into the outback with a bunch of students. The story is about them surviving, living in a cave and eventually killing the terrorists that are chasing them. This probably came out in the early 80's.

I remember watching this one. Saw it on HBO, YEARS ago. I remember enjoying it, but not sure who was in it.

There are two low-budget but fantastic sci-fi movies I'll recommend. The first is Moon, with Sam Rockwell. Don't watch the trailer first, it gives too much away. The second is called Primer, which is a time travel movie and extremely well done.

I also really like Safety Not Guaranteed. Mostly because of the premise, but it was also done well. Based on an apocryphal classified ad that reads: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before. "

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 41 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Primer is one of the greatest time travel movies ever made.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 43 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I’ve seen most of those. A lot of Tarantino influences in there. And ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’ is one of the greatest Westerns I’ve ever seen. It’s not a genre I usually like, but that one is great.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke
"The Princess and the Warrior" is a great movie! I have a lot of Franka Potente movies in my collection.

"Once Upon a Time in the West" is one of the best westerns ever made. Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards all have great parts in that movie!

"The Good the Bad & the Ugly" is also one of my favorite westerns as well.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector danzies private msg quote post Address this user

This movie is a blast lol if you like B movies this is it.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 48 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Once Upon a Time in the West is my #2 western ever. Behind The Good, the Bad & the Ugly. I love me some John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart, but there is something about Sergio Leone. The guy was a wizard behind the lens. My favorite scene in cinema is the opening scene. Three guys waiting for Charles Bronson to get off a train. Minimal dialogue, all stage direction, sound, camera angles, but the tension is built all the way up to the harmonica.
Post 49 IP   flag post

Post 50 IP   flag post
You guys have to watch "Thriller: They Call Her One Eye". It's the inspiration for Elle Driver. Also, Lady Snowblood was the inspiration for O-Ren Ishii. Tarantino just has good tastes in film and chops them up to his liking for his own re-imagined take. Reservoir Dogs was borrowed from "City Under Fire".

I love Water Hill, Jack Hill, Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, etc
Post 51 IP   flag post
The Candy Snatchers was based on a true story too so that movie will make you cringe.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I also love this movie from ‘84.

Post 54 IP   flag post
Just a follow up on Frankenstein's Army. It's all the vision of director Richard Raaphorst and checking out his fabulous artwork is a must see.
http://www.richardraaphorst.com/
Post 55 IP   flag post
601250 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?