Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Obscure Movie Recommendation Thread8941

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. What’s an obscure film you’d recommend to fellow members? Doesn’t have to be comic book related.

I’ll start with ‘Dreamscape’ (1984).

I love this movie. The Snake Man creature freaked me out as a kid.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim I remember that one. It was inevitable on cable one summer in the mid-'80s. Who can forget Green Acres' Eddie Albert as President of the United States? Or Norm from Cheers as ... I don't remember what his role was now. I always suspected the Nightmask comic from Marvel's New Universe was inspired by this movie.

Other obscure movies ... well, not as obscure as it used to be, given the growing number of Coen Brothers fans, but this is a favorite:

Post 2 IP   flag post
Want something funny (and just very, very wrong)?

Post 3 IP   flag post
@CatCovers I’ll have to look for Nightmask now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Here’s another one I never hear people talk about: 12:01.

It takes the ‘Groundhog Day’ formula in a sci-fi comedy direction. It’s light and fun. Better written than most TV movies.

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
Note-perfect dialog. Fantastic music. Michelle Pfeiffer at her absolute sexiest.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@CatCovers I’ll have to look for Nightmask now.

Don't look too hard. One of the better New Universe titles, but that was an incredibly low bar to clear.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers

Thats one of the funniest movies Ive ever seen
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Quote:

Thats one of the funniest movies Ive ever seen

Wasn’t Will Sasso in that movie?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user

This is one of my favorites that nobody ever seems to have heard of. I love Bakshi's stuff.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Here’s one if you have the patience for subtitles. It takes place at the end of the era of the samurai. It’s about a Widower that simply wants to go home at the end of the day to take care of his daughters. The last thing he wants to do is hurt anyone, and he’s mocked for it. Of course, his master has other plans.

This is a beautiful film.

Post 12 IP   flag post
If you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons ... you'll find this to be a disturbing (but hilarious) mirror.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
If you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons ... you'll find this to be a disturbing (but hilarious) mirror.

The trailer reminds of the first season of the Web Series, “The Guild”. The other seasons were good, but season one was the best.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@CatCovers Also, if you haven’t seen this, it’s worth it:

https://youtu.be/subQrEPKytA
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
yor the hunter from the future. fun, fun, fun. but don't admit to your friends that you did watch.

https://binged.it/2PJDxa7 and hope the link works first time I tried to do a link myself. enjoy and if seen tell me what you think.
Post 16 IP   flag post
and as a fun side note. when it was in theaters if you bought a ticket and watched it all the way you got a prize pack for doing so. I was one of the few who did. I am so proud
Post 17 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
This is a fun movie, The Zero Effect. Bill Pullman as "The World's Most Private Detective."

Post 18 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'll throw in two of my favorite movies from the 80's: Night of the Comet and Band of the Hand.

Fast forward to 2001 and we are graced with Donnie Darko. This one is almost an acquired taste. The more you watch it, the better it gets.

I liked it so much that I commissioned a 12' x 36' acrylic painting of Frank, the bunny. He hangs proudly in my bedroom.

Post 19 IP   flag post
loved band of the hand. and also throwing another movie out there TURK 182. a favorite of mine
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090217/videoplayer/vi685768985

Post 20 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post

And then I have two movies that I have tried to find for the last ten years or so. The first one is based in the Australian outback. A school is attacked by terrorist and a female teacher escapes into the outback with a bunch of students. The story is about them surviving, living in a cave and eventually killing the terrorists that are chasing them. This probably came out in the early 80's.

The second movie is a horror movie. There is a snake woman who lives in a castle in the woods. Either she, or her female worshipers, lure unsuspecting males who are traveling through the forest to their doom in the castle. I believe it ends with the local villagers getting wise and burning the castle. It is not "Lair of the White Worm". And I've looked through the list of Hammer movies to no avail. It was in color, but I'm thinking it was made in the 70's or possibly 60's.

Any help identifying either one of these would be appreciated. I have only found two other people who remember them (one each), or else I'd think that these were just powerful dreams that I had as a youngster.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Since I mentioned it ...

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Since I mentioned it ...

I saw the advanced screening of this in Atlanta. It was cool. I think the same guy that did the images of hell in this also did the imagery in Altered States.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Because of @Jesse_O , I submit:

Altered States (1980)

A Harvard scientist conducts experiments on himself with a hallucinatory drug and an isolation chamber that may be causing him to regress genetically.

Post 25 IP   flag post
This was only in the theaters about 2 weeks and it had a very limited release. I think only one theater in Atlanta showed it. I made a point to see it in the theater.

Idiocracy (2006)

Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if these are obscure or not...but I don't often here people talking about them.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112368/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089114/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091059/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And for WORST MOVIE EVER!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091981/

Post 27 IP   flag post
A Scanner Darkly (2006)

An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result.

Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Sounds like this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1007727_fortress
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Hebrew Hammer.....

Seriously....you need to watch this for a good laugh

Tusk.....for a funny and deaply disturbing film
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?