Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush_Bug
I called CBCS last week and the customer rep said that my books had been delivered to Canada/Oakville. I asked for Steve Paulus's contact information. When I messaged Steven he said my books hadn't been sent out yet and that he would ship them to me directly. I received them a few days later. The status of my order still hasn't been changed online, but I have them now.

That sounds like all Canadian books are just mailed to Steves house first and he drives them over the border to the Oakville location so they can save all on shipping/custom fees. I really hope his house is covered by CBCS's comic insurance as that is a damn big risk

Nothing is Mailed to Steve Paulus's house for him to drive to Canada, so let's nip this one before it gains legs.
Post 951 IP   flag post
@sugarman did you ever get an answer?
Post 952 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush_Bug
I called CBCS last week and the customer rep said that my books had been delivered to Canada/Oakville. I asked for Steve Paulus's contact information. When I messaged Steven he said my books hadn't been sent out yet and that he would ship them to me directly. I received them a few days later. The status of my order still hasn't been changed online, but I have them now.

That sounds like all Canadian books are just mailed to Steves house first and he drives them over the border to the Oakville location so they can save all on shipping/custom fees. I really hope his house is covered by CBCS's comic insurance as that is a damn big risk

Nothing is Mailed to Steve Paulus's house for him to drive to Canada, so let's nip this one before it gains legs.

Whew that's a relief. So I assume all books mailed directly to Oakville facility from the main CBCS location, and it's only Steve that has to do the trek over the border himself? Just confused since the other poster said Steve would mail out his books himself, so was curious where that was being done from if he ins't at the location and the mailing isn't happening from the main CBCS office (unless Steve is now working on-site there)

I would also point out again I never hear back from Steve when emails. The last email over a week ago has had no answer, and the one before that only got an answer once I mentioned it on the boards here. Happy to share the emails to show I'm not being rude (because really, anytime someone says they are not being responded too there is a good chance they are acting like jerks, which I certainly don't think is my case ), just really would appreciate answers and transparency from CBCS.
Post 953 IP   flag post
Collector TMAN1980 private msg quote post Address this user
I too have been getting the email snub from Steve Paulus. So I turn to commenting on Instagram posts or Facebook about where my book is and how long it's taking. That seems to elicit some response back. You know what stops frustrated customers? When they get their books back in a timely manner.
Post 954 IP   flag post
Collector sugarman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

i emailed Steve 12 days ago, no response.

i called CBCS today, and was told to call back in a few days. the girl had no idea where my books were. Oakville or Dallas. the usual story.
Post 955 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman
Quote:

i emailed Steve 12 days ago, no response.

i called CBCS today, and was told to call back in a few days. the girl had no idea where my books were. Oakville or Dallas. the usual story.

Same with me. I called CBCS as well and they said since my stuff was a Canadian order she didn't know anything and said she would email Steve but to call her back at the end of the week.
Post 956 IP   flag post
Steve Borock even told me that Paulus would know better about this situation. Well Paulus isn't emailing back. Steve Borock is the President. He should know what's going on with his business. I find it hard to believe that there's absolutely NO SOLUTION other than wait until the border is open. That could be in 2021.
Post 957 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
I have a simple question. If I mail DIRECTLY to Dallas, will my submission be sent DIRECTLY back to my home address? Or, will CBCS ship to Oakville? Because if it is the latter I won't be sending anything until the border opens which probably won't be until 2021 as mentioned. Thanks for any answer.
Post 958 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Maritimer Regular submissions sent directly to the Texas office are sent directly back.

Only orders placed through CBCS Canada are processed through the Oakville office
Post 959 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite nailed it again!! Unless there is a screwup, it should get mailed directly back to you if you mail it in directly.
Post 960 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going through a similar problem with some Canadian buyers of some slabs on eBay and I'm guessing the issues are related.

My slabs are essentially stuck at the border and have been for over a month now. Customs must have a tremendous backlog. If I still lived there, I'd call my MLA/MP to demand that Canada customs release ALL packages w/o duty and taxes to get commerce via mail going at least.

In addition, Canada Post itself has major issues internally. They, and other carriers in Canada like UPS/Fed-Ex/Purolator/DHL/Loomis, etc. were not prepared for the sudden uptick in domestic parcel service use due to Covid19.

They're shipping three times what they shipped last year, and the size/weight of the stuff getting sent has also gone way up as folks are shipping much larger items.

The cherry on top, they've had to do it with fewer staff. Covid19 has caused staff shortages in addition to having to follow social distancing and PPE requirements that gum up the works. I read one major facility for incoming international parcel mail in Ontario was down from 4 incoming parcel sorters to just 1.

I would say if you're going to submit, submit directly, and make sure they use a commercial carrier, not Canada Post, to return the book directly to you.
Post 961 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
I have been ordering comics from the States, and yes, they can take extra time. Sometimes twice as long as they used to. I'm sure there's a backlog at the border. I don't think it's Canada post, so much as the customs and duty payments, etc. Packages I order within Canada arrive within 1 to 5 days by Canada Post.

CBCS uses FedEx and Canpar to send the slabs back. Both private companies. As far as I know, Canada post isn't really involved.

The real issue is the totally confusing status of the orders. Mine were marked as shipped, but apparently weren't. After I called Steve they were shipped directly to me by FedEx, even though I was told at first they were already in Canada. They weren't. There's just a lot of mystery and confusion.
I was just really happy to have them in my hands finally. It took only 3 days between my calling about it and the slabs arriving. They couldn't have sat at the border very long, so that wasn't the issue. It's all a bit odd.

I hope CBCS figures this out. I like the quality of their service minus this year's wackiness.
Post 962 IP   flag post
Collector Venom187 private msg quote post Address this user
I myself have a triple signed book sent tonyallnfor sigs and a pressing right at a yr ago still thought Dark Phoenix Comic's would love to know where it is at this time.
Post 963 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Maritimer Regular submissions sent directly to the Texas office are sent directly back.

Only orders placed through CBCS Canada are processed through the Oakville office

Thank you for the response. I'm ready to send some books.
Post 964 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

NOT TRUE. MY ORDER WAS DIRECT TO DALLAS... i'm told it was sent to OAKVILLE.
Post 965 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
If that's the case, then it's an error as that's not how it works.
Post 966 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge328

i agree. that's not how it SHOULD work. but that's whats going on. i'm not the only case like this. my dealer (whom i won't bring up but if i did, most people would know the name) REFUSES to ever use CBCS again. there's been a LITANY of "errors" that are not acceptable.

and he's not the only dealer refusing to use them. again, another name i won't float but if i mentioned everyone would instantly recognize... REFUSES to use CBCS again. He had to track down several shipments that went to the wrong addresses. courtesy of CBCS "errors". he had to chase FedEx as CBCS did NOTHING to help the situation.

again, i'm disappointed. i've been rooting for CBCS from day 1. but mistake after mistake after.. etc etc...
i won't use them again. not after this debacle.
Post 967 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge328

i agree. that's not how it SHOULD work. but that's whats going on. i'm not the only case like this. my dealer (whom i won't bring up but if i did, most people would know the name) REFUSES to ever use CBCS again. there's been a LITANY of "errors" that are not acceptable.

and he's not the only dealer refusing to use them. again, another name i won't float but if i mentioned everyone would instantly recognize... REFUSES to use CBCS again. He had to track down several shipments that went to the wrong addresses. courtesy of CBCS "errors". he had to chase FedEx as CBCS did NOTHING to help the situation.

again, i'm disappointed. i've been rooting for CBCS from day 1. but mistake after mistake after.. etc etc...
i won't use them again. not after this debacle.

I hear ya, man. I'm in the same boat. First time using CBCS and this is the experience I get? Just get me my books so we can part ways.
Post 968 IP   flag post
@sugarman do you have an invoice #?
Post 969 IP   flag post
Quote:
@sugarman do you have an invoice #?

Darryl, i'm going to call CBCS friday morning. Stacey was the girl i spoke with. If she can resolve/let me know where my books are, great. if not, i will message you with the order number.
Post 970 IP   flag post
I tried calling them back today as instructed earlier this week, but something seems broken with their phones. The moment I hear someone pick up (after being placed on hold and waiting with the music for 10-15 minutes) they immediately cut out and the call goes silent (not hung up on, call keeps going on if I don't hang up but nothing is coming from their end).

Tried three times already calling in, and it's the same problem every time.

edit again...4 hours later: phones STILL messing up. As soon as I get on with a customer service rep their end is all low quality crackles and a few seconds in it just goes silent (not a hangup...just silence). They called me back after the call dropped and said everything is working now (barely audible) and moments later...bam...silence and dropped call. Oh well, guess I'll get my update another week, maybe by then Steve will have replied to his emails
Post 971 IP   flag post
Well. I just spoke to the girl at CBCS. My books are in Oakville, even though the were sent DIRECTLY to Dallas. She says ALL Canadian order go to Oakville no matter what (which should not be the case). And, she has NO idea when Oakville will be up and running, even though pretty much EVERYTHING here is up and running.

Good luck everyone.
Post 972 IP   flag post
That sucks. Steve and Steve haven't responded to my email I sent at the beginning of the week. There's no notice on the Canadian CBCS website preventing Canadians from submitting, knowing that their books are going to get stuck in limbo in return. Just poor management in my opinion. But hey, Steve Borock keeps posting pics on Instagram of books that cross his desk. His quote "I love my gig". Anger...rising...
Post 973 IP   flag post
you know. in my younger days, i would yell, scream, ask for a supervisor, go knock the door down at Oakville, write on the boards bad things about the company. now.. &^%$ it. more important things to do. there are a lot of people complaining about the same thing. they know...

what is disappointing, is i have been ROOTING for these guys to at least give CGC decent competition. so that we have a viable alternative .. but they've dropped the ball huge. that's really my biggest thing with these guys. had they done their job and we got the books by early March, i would have continued to use them. i've got a ton of books i need certified.

oh well
Post 974 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN1980
That sucks. Steve and Steve haven't responded to my email I sent at the beginning of the week. There's no notice on the Canadian CBCS website preventing Canadians from submitting, knowing that their books are going to get stuck in limbo in return. Just poor management in my opinion. But hey, Steve Borock keeps posting pics on Instagram of books that cross his desk. His quote "I love my gig". Anger...rising...

I have nothing to do with or know about Canadian orders. Steve Paulus handles ALL of Canada and he is your point person.
I am sorry I did not respond to your email because of that and thought Steve would get back to you.
Sorry if my 1 minute a day post on instagram bothers you, but it does not take me away from anything, I just don't handle Canada.
Please reach out to Steve Paulus again.
Post 975 IP   flag post
Guys Steve Paulus is in charge of CBCS Canada and will be the guy you guys need to speak with.

If you need answers please reach out to Steve Paulus at spaulus@cbcscomics.com.

If you are not getting replies in a timely manner, then please let me know. That said if you emailed him today with it being a Friday please allow him time to respond and the weekend might delay this.
Post 976 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN1980

I have nothing to do with or know about Canadian orders. Steve Paulus handles ALL of Canada and he is your point person.
I am sorry I did not respond to your email because of that and thought Steve would get back to you.
Sorry if my 1 minute a day post on instagram bothers you, but it does not take me away from anything, I just don't handle Canada.
Please reach out to Steve Paulus again.

I only JUST got a reply from Steve after almost two weeks and it once again was vague and failed to actually address the questions I had.

Why has CBCS opted to delegate ALL of its Canadian responsibilities to someone who doesn't even live in the country and has to cross the border just come into the office, all the while not having any other staff? The facility IS OPEN, but it is due to the fact CBCS has zero employees in the country that causes it to remain inactive. Universal Distribution, your Canadian partners, has been working out of the shared facility you both use for over a month now. I've only ever been told that it was the government preventing you guys from re-opening, but in light of your partners being operational it sounds like CBCS is trying to hide the fact this is due to inadequate staffing.

It also doesn't help that the Canadian website is NEVER updated. It is the simplest of gestures that could be done to show Canadian customers that you are actually on top of this situation (simply updating the date, which still says close until MAY, would be a start).
Post 977 IP   flag post
Steve Borock, it’s not just your “1 minute a day” posts that bother me. You have my books, you have my money, and what do I have to show for it? I have every right to be bothered. As far as everything being delegated to Steve Paulus...according to the website, Steve Borock has the big picture of himself, not Steve Paulus. The President should be aware of everything with his business. CBCS is your baby, not Paulus’. At the end of the day, if the complaining from customers is to stop, CBCS needs to do right by them. So far, they’ve failed. So it continues.
Post 978 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
This is getting out of hand. CBCS, whether it's the "US" one or the "Canada" one, needs to get in front of this and issue a statement explaining what's going on and why, so that everyone isn't having to guess wildly at what's happening. COVID occurred and threw a wrench into everything, we get that, but to sit here and keep putting it off on to Paulus who is not telling us anything is ludicrous.
Post 979 IP   flag post
Quote:
Guys Steve Paulus is in charge of CBCS Canada and will be the guy you guys need to speak with.

If you need answers please reach out to Steve Paulus at spaulus@cbcscomics.com.

If you are not getting replies in a timely manner, then please let me know. That said if you emailed him today with it being a Friday please allow him time to respond and the weekend might delay this.

I'm not getting replies back in general. Further to that, we all don't want vague answers. We need to know that CBCS is working on a plan to work around the border closure. There's always a solution.
Post 980 IP   flag post
600892 999 30