Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is currently quoting about 2 weeks turnaround time for moderns, so just about on par with CBCS.

The pressing turnaround time is an embarrassment. I knew it was bad when I submitted my books and the TATs have about doubled while I’ve been waiting. They have starting taking steps to address it so opefully they start coming down to match or beat CGC’s 2 months

Customer service has more miss than hit since Zack left and the call center doesn’t seem to be of much help. Emailing tends to be better but can still take a week or more to respond.

Basically, submit books for grading but avoid pressing with them for the time being.
Post 901 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Qillabee The issues are related to Pressing TATs and difficulty reaching a Customer Service rep (which is also being addressed). The best way to reach Customer Service is by email;
customerservice@cbcscomics.com
and it may take a little time to hear back. Once the Pressing TATs are back to normal these issues will disappear.
Post 902 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qillabee
I'm speaking for all of these other people. But when you look at their competitors, this isn't pretty darn good. And from reading these comments, communication isn't good. None of what you said will matter to someone waiting darn near a year for their books.

Point 1) You do not speak for me.

Point 2) While initially, I had hoped I would receive my pressed comics back from my SDCC dropoff by Thanksgiving, I knew that there was a real probability of a greater time frame. Were it not for the pandemic from Wuhan China and the subsequent move of their pressing operations from FL to TX, I am confident I would have had everything back by now. Fact is, with the quality of the product that CBCS produces, I am completely fine with the current delay on the pressing side...Especially because of my next point.

Point 3) Most of the communication issues stem from an outsourced call center, on top of CBCS attaining a very high/rapid growth over the past year and a half, and having to further adjust to and absorb the ramifications of the acquisition by Beckett. Having a business background, I understand that. Further, I can tolerate such if a company I am working with acknowledges their short comings and is working to alleviate its issues and is enhancing their offering and overall experience. Which, CBCS is doing.

Point 4) Re-read point 1. One should not speak in absolutes nor should one presume to speak for others when not called upon to do so.

Nuff said.
Post 903 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
@Bluetomb PM Sent
Post 904 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Darryl_H can you have a quick look at the pm I sent through if you get chance.

Kind regards
Post 905 IP   flag post

Collector BatmanofSteeI private msg quote post Address this user
@Darryl_H can you please check out my invoice as well?

I am in the same boat as @BlueTomb.I understand the books still probably have a lot of the process left to go but I’m concerned about still being in Billing.

My invoice #20-1312D1D
Post 906 IP   flag post
If The invoices are for the CBCS in house / private signings, then they will show as billing until the signings are complete and we have the books ready for grading. If you have paid, and it's still in billing this will be normal. Once they move to the grading room, they will be cleared from billing, and start the normal process.
Post 907 IP   flag post
Collector Bluetomb private msg quote post Address this user
@darryl_h

Thank you very much for this information. Appreciated!
Post 908 IP   flag post
Collector BatmanofSteeI private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @darryl_h

Feel much better now!
Post 909 IP   flag post
Collector tvphonehome610 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
CGC is currently quoting about 2 weeks turnaround time for moderns, so just about on par with CBCS.

The pressing turnaround time is an embarrassment. I knew it was bad when I submitted my books and the TATs have about doubled while I’ve been waiting. They have starting taking steps to address it so opefully they start coming down to match or beat CGC’s 2 months

Customer service has more miss than hit since Zack left and the call center doesn’t seem to be of much help. Emailing tends to be better but can still take a week or more to respond.

Basically, submit books for grading but avoid pressing with them for the time being.

I had 5 books accepted on June 3 and have had no movement yet, so definitely over 2 weeks.
Post 910 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My books recieved May 11 went into Grading today. So I definitely assume that their backlog is deeper now than it was in the months right before the lockdown, which would be expected.
Post 911 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Submitted at mini-show 5/31, invoice now says “labels”. Two consumer, one expanded...or the other way around. No pressing, no VSP.
Post 912 IP   flag post
Collector KMiracleman private msg quote post Address this user
Seven books I submitted in September, all with press screening, just moved into "Grading" yesterday. I think only one book was deemed OK to press for my minimum grade. I'm guessing that one book is the one being graded right now, and the others were rejected but they're all considered collectively as one order? So I'm really waiting for a single book to be graded, labeled and slabbed. Wow..nine months...and probably another two weeks (minimum) for it to be completed, which would make it TEN months. I agree that it's useless to call the CBCS customer service number; the best employee for actual answers is DarrylH - anyone looking for a substantive response just email him and you'll get the customer service you'd expect from any company.
Post 913 IP   flag post
Collector TMAN1980 private msg quote post Address this user
For Canadian customers, here's what I know to date:

Steve Borock just replied to me and said Oakville will open when the border opens. I replied that the border is already open to ESSENTIAL travellers for work. He said Steve Paulus would know more on that.

Steve Paulus recently told me that the Ontario Government has not given them the authority to open their store. I replied that most of Ontario, including Oakville, has begun Phase 2 of reopenings. Their store fell under Phase 1 back in May. Steve Paulus did not reply to my question.

The fact is I can't get a straight answer. Like many, I am not happy the way CBCS has treated Canadian customers. I've been waiting since Aug 16. Yes, pressing was an issue, then COVID. But the guidelines are there now for CBCS to open shop. So what's the hold up? Only Steve and Steve would know what their next move is.

I can only assume that when the border is open to non-essential travellers, and COVID numbers have flattened, we'll get our books back. But at this rate, that could be in the Fall/Winter.
Post 914 IP   flag post
As far as Canada goes, Steve Paulus is the person who would know the details about Canada, and I know he is working hard to come to a resolution for you guys. All Canadian questions should go to Steve Paulus.

That said, we are currently not allowed to reopen for reasons beyond our controls at CBCS, and are unsure of when this will change.
Post 915 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
People who are waiting for books to return via CBCS Canada may be out of luck for a while it seems. But, if customers want to mail directly to Dallas, is that option still available? It's what we used to do.
Post 916 IP   flag post
@Maritimer Yes, you can still submit directly to CBCS
Post 917 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
I have 4 modern books I've been wanting to send but have been playing the waiting game, which is fairly easy for an old, patient guy like myself. I'm thinking August just to be on the safe side, to get the new holder and now that VSP will be in a yellow label I may venture down that road as well. Cheers!
Post 918 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN1980
I replied that the border is already open to ESSENTIAL travellers for work.

You kinda hit the nail on the head it think with your "ESSENTIAL" comment above. While internal province and municipalities may be more lenient, the border is different. At this point, the NHL isn't even allowed to cross yet. While some may think otherwise, I think the NHL ranks higher in priority than CBCS personnel & submissions.
Post 919 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN1980
For Canadian customers, here's what I know to date:

Steve Borock just replied to me and said Oakville will open when the border opens. I replied that the border is already open to ESSENTIAL travellers for work. He said Steve Paulus would know more on that.

Steve Paulus recently told me that the Ontario Government has not given them the authority to open their store. I replied that most of Ontario, including Oakville, has begun Phase 2 of reopenings. Their store fell under Phase 1 back in May. Steve Paulus did not reply to my question.

The fact is I can't get a straight answer. Like many, I am not happy the way CBCS has treated Canadian customers. I've been waiting since Aug 16. Yes, pressing was an issue, then COVID. But the guidelines are there now for CBCS to open shop. So what's the hold up? Only Steve and Steve would know what their next move is.

I can only assume that when the border is open to non-essential travellers, and COVID numbers have flattened, we'll get our books back. But at this rate, that could be in the Fall/Winter.

This has been my experience with contacting CBCS; no straight answers, and it seems there is zero effort towards finding any sort of solution to help appease Canadian customers. By 'help' I mean simply reassure them that things are being done, as they fail to even offer an updated messaging on their website (a simple, cheap and easy task that would help convey the idea they actually staying on top of things). Radio silence from Steve (unless you directly email him) isn't acceptable for a companies division in an entire other country.
Post 920 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Little thing I find VERY confusing for the Canadian side as well: Universal Distribution (the company CBCS is in partnership with here in Canada with and share a single location for sales support, submissions, and distribution of graded comics) just posted an update on their upcoming holiday hours for June 24th (Saint-Jean Baptiste day).

This doesn't sound like much, but they specifically go out of their way to mention that their Toronto/GTA location as being OPEN (while Montreal is closed). This is the exact same storage facility and mailing operation CBCS uses - yet their partner is apparently still open for business. The offices are literally the same address, I've been inside and you have to walk through Universal Distributions front room to get to Steves desk area (and then walk through that to get to the warehouse), and I have heard they have been onsite.

This might just mean it's a skeleton crew onsite to offer office support and triage orders (without actually mailing stuff out from the facility there), but since there is so little clear communication from CBCS Canada it just sounds like their facilities could have been operating all this time.
Post 921 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, I'm just really confused about the slabs being mailed back to Canada.
I don't know if they're being shipped directly to ME, or to the Oakville office. Right now they've been sitting in Dallas marked as "Ready to ship" for 3 weeks now. I understand they wait until they have a whole bunch to send at once, but how many do they need to gather? My order alone is 35 books already! And if they're shipped to Oakville, will they mail them to me? I've been emailing but haven't had a reply.

sigh
Post 922 IP   flag post
@Ambush_Bug They’re not being shipped to the Oakville office because CBCS’ is not currently operating it’s Oakville branch. What I understand is that the branch won’t open until after the border crossing restrictions are further lifted. Information more than that has been hard to come by.

Once they do open the books are shipped to the Canada office and then will be shipped to you from that facility.
Post 923 IP   flag post
Oh WOW!
They can't ship them directly to my address? That's so lousy! In the before times, they've shipped them to my address directly.

Ontario is in stage 3 of re-opening. I don't understand why they can't deal with shipments at this point.

I've been waiting 9 months and there's been no indication about when this will be resolved.
Shipments can cross the border, so I don't understand what the issues are. This just sucks. More
communication about their difficulties and their plans around them would be appreciated. I've had two
shipments sent out and returned (with pressing) form CGC during this time. I want to support CBCS.. this is just frustrating.
Post 924 IP   flag post
@Ambush_Bug

While Ontario may be re-opening, the opening of the border is not their jurisdiction, which is what CBCS is waiting for to resume operations. The specifics as to why, I don’t know but that is the situation.

Where the previous orders through CBCS’ Canada branch or through the regular CBCS submission where you ship your books directly to the Dallas office? From my understanding, this is always how the Canada branch had operated. The books are sent en masse to the office in Canada who then ships it to the end-user using the shipping option of their choice.

Regular CBCS submissions are an option for Canadian customers and for those the books would be shipped directly to you and would not be affected by the closure of the Canada branch. The tradeoff being that shipment is more expensive and any customs/duty issues (which there shouldn’t be but the government might mistake it for a merchandise purchase)
Post 925 IP   flag post
If all this is the case, better communication is vital.
My previous orders were done before the Canadian office was established, I believe.

The border is closed to non essential travel. And probably will be for months, given the state of
the infection rates in the U.S. But product deliveries are allowed through, so transporting the slabs should be fine. So I don't get why it's an issue at all.

That being said, I'm not certain which delivery service I paid for, but at this point I would like to have them mail them directly to me, and would like to have that option. Otherwise it could literally take another year before the border opens.

Yes, the government might mistake it for a merchandise purchase, but it should be fine if CBCS fills out the form to indicate they are not merchandise.

I'll see if I can get anyone at CBCS on the phone I guess. Wish me luck.
Post 926 IP   flag post
Collector TMAN1980 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS received my book on August 16, 2019.

I was told back on April 8th by Steve Paulus that my book arrived in Oakville, but then the border was closed so they can't get it to me.

We're all told the standard answer. Because the border is closed, things are out of their control to reopen. Ok, I believe that, but it leaves so many questions.

For instance, is Steve Paulus a one man show in Oakville when he works there?

Why aren't there any Canadian employees that can reopen the store?

Who is receiving the books while it's closed? Can't they ship them out?

So many questions.

Meanwhile, in Oakville, my book is just sitting there...lonely...calling out to me.
Post 927 IP   flag post
Yea, they've had my books since August/Fan Expo.

If they mail me a key, I'll open the office up myself!

If a solution isn't figured out, they could sit there for another YEAR!
Post 928 IP   flag post
Collector tvphonehome610 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvphonehome610

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

I had 5 books accepted on June 3 and have had no movement yet, so definitely over 2 weeks.

Still no movement, so 50% over the the quoted TAT.
Post 929 IP   flag post
@tvphonehome610 Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
1. The current turn around times for all regular tiers are at around 5 weeks. As always VSP can add a week or two depending on volume
Post 930 IP   flag post
601274 999 30