Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

MASSIVE Baseball Card Collection Incoming. What Do I Look For?8921

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
people still collect baseball cards?
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would start by: organize by teams and sub group by year/era of those teams.

I would then do an internet search of the best baseball players by team and year..example: New York Yankees best players (https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-new-york-yankees-of-all-time)

I would do this for all the teams and then search your cards for those players that appear on the lists and set those aside.

This would be my start.

Its overwhelming because of the size of the collection. You have to breakdown the size. You'll need to separate the cream from the regular stuff.

Like in comics, the general hallmarks for value are age and rookie.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I would start by: organize by teams and sub group by year/era of those teams.

I would then do an internet search of the best baseball players by team and year..example: New York Yankees best players (https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-new-york-yankees-of-all-time)

I would do this for all the teams and then search for those players that appear on the lists.

I would then pull all the rookie cards.

This would be my start.

I would guess a van full of cards, this would be too time consuming. I would think the original owner already has them sorted. If not, you are going to spend a lot of time organizing. I contemplated separating my junk 80s and 90s into teams. Making 50 cents an hour wasn't worth it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If they're sorted, even better...but they're going to have to separate the good stuff from the bad....no way around that, otherwise they wont know what they've got.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
people still collect baseball cards?

Only rookie collectors.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
There's no quick way to dump them either for even $0.05-$0.01 a piece if they're 80s-90s cards. I bought a Nolan Ryan set an auction that contained 135 Nolan Ryan cards dating to 1973 for less than $30. One of my local LCS is more of a baseball card/sports card shop that also does comics. He won't buy cards. He won't sort to find good stuff. The bottom fell out of baseball cards 8-10 years ago so unless you have something worth $25.00 or up (which you have to find) a lot of card shops won't even look at what you've got. ebay may actually be the best route. You may still be able to make some money by grouping them by player. Maybe there's a George Brett fan out there that wants all his cards and might be willing to pay more for a "set". But, in general, you want to look for specific names.

You could also do what I do to figure out what comics to get signed. Go to ebay. Type in something like "1957 Topps baseball card" sort by "highest to lowest" see what comes to the top. I search for specific creators and see what of theirs I have worth the most. If I don't have anything of particular value, I get them to sign the comic I like the most.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I used to be big into baseball and football cards back in the 70s and 80s. I had amazing cards which I wish I still had today. I sold a lot at shows and then lost interest as the market got flooded. Then in the late 90s, I sold off the rest in 1 shot. Now I kind of regret it. Back around 1988 I had bought a vintage collection of cards from 1957 through 1960. They were in beautiful shape. Rookies of Johny Unitas, Paul Horning,Bart Starr, all the baseball HOF players like Willie Mays,Hank Aaron,Mickey Mantle,Yogi Berra,High number 1960 All Star cards,etc,etc.... So moving forward to a few weeks ago, I got caught up watching these pack opening events on You Tube. The one that was crazy is where people paid $2000 a pack from a wax box of Fleer basketball cards from the Jordan rookie card year. A lot of packs had really bad cards and off centered cards. However they pulled 3 Jordan rookie cards which I guess sell for about $20k a piece. Just crazy. I will stick with my comic books and artwork.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
If you come across any from the 70's, send me a pm with what you have. I may be interested. Thanks!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
If you come across any from the 70's, send me a pm with what you have. I may be interested. Thanks!

Given the size of the collection, I’m sure there are 70’s cards in there. I’ll let you know.

I’m picking up the cards tomorrow. I’ll post a pic or two of what I end up with. I have a feeling this will be quite an undertaking, even if they’re already well organized.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
As with comics, CONDITION is everything

I would most certainly be interested in ANY cards from 1960 to 1980 ANY sport as well

You need to first determined what years and the condition.

I have been a lifelong card collector. At one point I owned the #1 1972 Topps Football set on the PSA Set Registry. I also maintain many other high grade sets.

Depending on condition Im a serious buyer of any Sixties, Seventies Baseball and Football. I would also have a big interest in 1980 - 1986 Football cards. Im not only interested in higher grade Stars, but the commons and semi stars as well if they are in the right condition.

1970 Topps Football

1972 Topps Football

1974 Topps Football

1976 Topps Football

Post 35 IP   flag post
Not a good pic, but this is 2/3 of the collection. Couldn’t fit it all in the car.

It does look like a lot of 80’s & 90’s cards, but I already spotted some autographs & haven’t given up hope there’s good stuff in here.

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck with the hunt
Post 37 IP   flag post
Not all Baseball. I think I found one worth grading.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Not all Baseball. I think I found one worth grading.

That looks like his 1981 rookie card!!!! If it is, I'd DEFINITELY get that graded!!!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
The folder with the 1981 cards had this one spot empty. I was so bummed until I remembered there was some cards in hard cases. It was with those.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Does PSA work like CBCS & CGC when it comes to adjusting the tier of your order?

If this Montana Card gets a 9 it’s a $700 card. If it’s a 10, it’s like $10k.

I’d hate to pay for the Walk-Through tier & have it only be worth the cost of grading.

If I send it in on the Express tier & it grades higher, I’d have no problem paying the difference. Will they adjust the invoice on their end?

Post 41 IP   flag post

Too bad this is personalized.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
The grading is really a racket at those prices. I understand paying for a service, but those prices are insane.

I should start a card grading company and charge 1/2 the amount out of my current office. I already have the infrastructure in place.
Post 43 IP   flag post
True the 81 Montana is a high dollar card if it pull top grade.

I think its safe to say the card is not going to pull a 10 Grade.

In fact I highly doubt it will pull a Mint 9 as the centering is off on the side borders.

Depending on the corners and the card surface it could maybe realistically pull an NM-MT 8 which is still a $150 card,although with less than stellar centering your not getting anywhere near top price for it in that grade. There are just too many other nicer centered 1981 Joe Montana's available in that grade.

A NM 7 Joe Montana goes for $75-$100

It is a very KEY card and a nice find... Congratulations!

What about the rest of the common cards in the folder(binder) What do you plan on doing with them?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Too bad this is personalized.
with a deceased signature that would be that sought after personalization often is a moot point ....
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
True the 81 Montana is a high dollar card if it pull top grade.

I think its safe to say the card is not going to pull a 10 Grade.

In fact I highly doubt it will pull a Mint 9 as the centering is off on the side borders.

Depending on the corners and the card surface it could maybe realistically pull an NM-MT 8 which is still a $150 card,although with less than stellar centering your not getting anywhere near top price for it in that grade. There are just too many other nicer centered 1981 Joe Montana's available in that grade.

A NM 7 Joe Montana goes for $75-$100

It is a very KEY card and a nice find... Congratulations!

What about the rest of the common cards in the folder(binder) What do you plan on doing with them?

Food to know. 👍🏼
Post 46 IP   flag post
As far as the rest, the binder was not well stored. The condition of the other cards isn’t great. Would you be interested in them? I could give you a deal.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
As far as the rest, the binder was not well stored. The condition of the other cards isn’t great. Would you be interested in them? I could give you a deal.

Are the cards in the Binder all 1981? and is it a set?(Minus the Montana)

Without the Montana not much to go with on the others, Especially if they are in poor condition.

Got a Pics of them?

As for the comments about the Mickey Mantle Auto, It is a nice piece and I agree the personalization will be a deterrent for many. Mantle was an avid signer when he was alive and his signature is anything but rare, so I don't believe there is any "Deceased" premium to be had for his signature. There is also the fact that it is an unverified signature, such as with comic book signatures, verification would be a big plus to adding value to the piece.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quite agree. Definitely verify and authenticate. Also while it won't clear what s non personalized signature will...there are niche collectors who thrive on personalized signatures to lower the premium and deceased always works to your advantage for autographs
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
This reminds me, I have a Topps 1958 #150 Mickey Mantle that I had signed as a kid at a shopping mall appearance somewhere around 1979/1980... I don't particularly have much interest in selling it, but wouldn't mind getting it authenticated. Is there a recommended path for doing that?

Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
This reminds me, I have a Topps 1958 #150 Mickey Mantle that I had signed as a kid at a shopping mall appearance somewhere around 1979/1980... I don't particularly have much interest in selling it, but wouldn't mind getting it authenticated. Is there a recommended path for doing that?

That should be worth a pretty penny.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca

https://www.psacard.com/onlinesubmissioncenter/
Post 52 IP   flag post
What to do? Sell these sealed 1990 TOPPS cards in a lot? Or go through them looking for the misprinted Frank Thomas Card?

Unlikely, but I might get $100 for them as is, in a lot. These cards are worth close to nothing if they’re opened & that card isn’t in here.

42, 106 Card JUMBO packs (4452 cards)
40, 45 Card packs (1800 cards)

Over 6000 cards.

This is one box from the collection.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What to do? Sell these sealed 1990 TOPPS cards in a lot? Or go through them looking for the misprinted Frank Thomas Card?

Unlikely, but I might get $100 for them as is, in a lot. These cards are worth close to nothing if they’re opened & that card isn’t in here.

42, 106 Card JUMBO packs (4452 cards)
40, 45 Card packs (1800 cards)

Over 6000 cards.

This is one box from the collection.

If it looked like I'd be able to make my money back with the rest of the stuff, I'd open everyone of them!!! It'd be like playing pulltabs!!! LOL!!!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Lisa private msg quote post Address this user
I know it's going to take some time but if I were you I'd go through EVERYTHING even open the sealed packs but handle them carefully and try to figure out what you've got. I was in the same situation you were in a few years back when a family member gave me a baseball card collection and I went through everything and in the end it was worth some money If you do find any cards with value you may also want to get them graded before you sell them.

Just a side note..... before I started to go through stuff I went down to my local card shop and bought brand new baseball card boxes and plastic sleeves to put the cards in to keep them protected.

Lisa
Post 55 IP   flag post
601333 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?