Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Predictions or potential hot books.8918

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
With the huge increase of a "Cameo" issue, do you think other cameos will follow suit?

If so, then Web of Spider-man #18, 1ST VENOM CAMEO may be a good prospect. Any thoughts?

Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I've been waiting for years. I have 10 copies for some reason lol.

Oh, and cameo, shmameo. First appearance is a first appearance, regardless of how big it is. Are some really lame? You bet (Darkseid)- but if a character is seen for the 1st time in a comic book story before any other comic story, then how can it be anything other than a first appearance?
Is 181 still THE one to own? The Market says 'yes'.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I just checked - the Sienkiewicz cover of Marvel Comics Presents selling for $400 (!) on eBay just a week after release

That's because it's a 1:50 ratio incentive for retailers. Few stores ordered 50 copies of Marvel Comics Presents Volume 2. This book should be around $1100 next year if 9.8.

It's like the Rick and Morty #1 1:50 Justin Roiland Variant. Same concept.

Unless some ass**** sells them out of the warehouse six months from now because they have a ton left over that no one ordered. I know one or two sellers on eBay that are pretty suspicious with those incentive ratios. One guy I saw a few months ago was selling 1:1000 and 1:2000 ratios like they're candy. No way one guy legit has ~20 copies of a 1:2000 ratio. Who the hell could order 40,000 copies of one comic?

Maybe the 1:50 ratio is safer. More people get copies to begin with, and less of the value is due to artificial restrictions on supply. So there's less room for a bad actor to kill the value by sticking a few extra copies on eBay. But still, ratios can be dangerous. Especially Marvel ratios.
Post 53 IP   flag post
clickable text

Only $1,000,000 and it could be yours!

Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Wtf?
Post 55 IP   flag post

I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
What would someone have paid to have that done at the time?
Post 56 IP   flag post
Too much.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I still think Bone Parish is one of the most film/series ready books I've read in a while. It's about making a drug from the bones of the dead. I am shocked it's not optioned yet.

Is this a good read?
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Oh, and cameo, shmameo. First appearance is a first appearance, regardless of how big it is. Are some really lame? You bet (Darkseid)- but if a character is seen for the 1st time in a comic book story before any other comic story, then how can it be anything other than a first appearance?

I think it has less to do about cameo vs. full appearance than what’s on the cover. If the covers of hulk 180 and 181 were swapped 180 would be the book to own of the two.

I can’t think of a cameo that has the character on the cover at the moment though. Much less one that is followed by a full appearance the following issue with the character NOT on the cover.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I think it has less to do about cameo vs. full appearance than what’s on the cover. If the covers of hulk 180 and 181 were swapped 180 would be the book to own of the two.

I can’t think of a cameo that has the character on the cover at the moment though. Much less one that is followed by a full appearance the following issue with the character NOT on the cover.

Closest one I can think of is Captain Marvel 17, which I believe is just a cameo of Kamala Khan in the book itself, but has her first appearance in costume on the cover for the second printing.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing - yes, Bone Parish is a good read. My review:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/07/29/the-reading-pile-week-5/#boneparish
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Books I am betting see some uptick are Mister Miracle first series issues 4 and 6 ….4 being first Barda and issue six the first female Furies. I also think the Mattina cover Female Furies 1 is a good hedge bet...as well as the Brave and bold issue 33, with Zatanna, Wonder woman and Barbara Gordon....I also like the first SP/DR in spiderverse, and Supergirl 5 from the 70's series with Zatannas origin reprinted faithfully.

Also spec betting on Immortal hulk 12, 17 and 18 as potential hitters...

Of course TOS 52 is golden right now and I think ASM 86 is following suit...
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Does Gambit appear on the cover of x men annual 14 his first true appearance ? I know on X-Men 266 he is on the cover and all over the book....
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Does Gambit appear on the cover of x men annual 14
his first true appearance?

No.
Yes.

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I still think Bone Parish is one of the most film/series ready books I've read in a while. It's about making a drug from the bones of the dead. I am shocked it's not optioned yet.

Is this a good read?

@moodswing yes. It's excellent, and it keeps you guessing about what will happen. It has some great horror moments in it too.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I also think Shang-Chi is going to be HUGE. He will be the first Asian Marvel superhero leading a film and I think that the box office will be massive and all his books will spike. If you look at films like Crazy Rich Asians killing at the American box office and then the fact that China has such a huge impact on films I bet it will be massive...providing they don't screw it up, which is always possible.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

How about Teen Titans #12? First appearance of The Batman Who Laughs? I don't remember exactly, but I think his appearance in the comic is very brief, more akin to a cameo than a full appearance. But he's on the cover of the main issue.

This also supports your claim about the importance of the cover appearance (which I agree with). The B variant cover does not have Chuckles Batman. As a consequence, the A cover is about $450 in 9.8, while the B cover is maybe only $200.
Post 67 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, Cover appearance on cover A beats a noncover appearance cover B
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user
Wait till they announce a Naomi movie. lol.
Post 69 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
Quote:
Quote:

Closest one I can think of is Captain Marvel 17, which I believe is just a cameo of Kamala Khan in the book itself, but has her first appearance in costume on the cover for the second printing.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to 2nd prints, but those work too, or at least are another statistic.

Let’s take a look at an unusual one: Thanos 15 (4th print), Thanos 16 (2nd print) and Thanos 17 (shop variant homage).

Thanos 15 may be the first appearance of the black surfer (fallen one)...still tbd but that’s word in the lands of speculation. I will check but I believe it’s a last page cameo.

1st print has some value as the reveal/origin of the cosmic ghost rider...but the 4th printing has black surfer on the cover and commands a higher price right now.

Issue 16 would be the first full black surfer, and the 2nd print also has Black Surfer on the cover but doesn’t go for much more than cover price. I’ll have to check but this 2nd print may have come out before the 4th print of #15.

And then there’s the shop variant homage cover to 17. Has the black surfer on the cover and predates all reprints above....but no significance from a first appearance perspective (goes for $15-$20, trade dress which is what it originally cost).

Anyway, in this case the first appearance (cameo) with the character on the cover wins, even despite it being the 4th print of that issue and may have been released last chronologically...although it’s print run is likely more scarce than the others which may also factor in too... it I’d have to look into it.

Look at the first appearance of the rescue armor. 2nd print with the armor not even on POTTS, but is shown on the cover. And inside it’s a cameo appearance. 2nd print commands more than the first print and first full appearances in issue #12.

The 1st cover appearance (by issue number, not release date) rules when the character is in the interior it seems.

Edit:

Thanos 15 4th prt came out May 23rd. Thanos 17 2nd print was the one that had the black su fee cover (not 16) and it came out a month prior (4/20).

Also confirmed The black surfer had a full pag cameo only last pag.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I just read that Naomi #1 2nd print had under 1000 issues...not sure the validity, but that a pretty damn low print run.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Naomi #1 1st print - 25,252
Naomi #1 2nd print - 3,664
Naomi #1 3rd print - 894
Naomi #2 - 15,838
Naomi #3 - 14,691

Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-01.html
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoosh5492
Wait till they announce a Naomi movie. lol.

It’s DC so not likely but maybe part in a Superman movie - who knows
Post 74 IP   flag post
or tv show
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
With the huge increase of a "Cameo" issue, do you think other cameos will follow suit?

If they do, I don't think it will be as dramatic as Hulk 180/181 because I don't think there are other "cameo"/"1st Full" appearances that really compare in terms of the "Full" value. ASM 299/300 and 360/361 are other examples, but ASM 300 & 361 aren't quite Hulk 181, with 300 being even less so because Venom doesn't appear on the cover.

Now if someday 300 & 361 skyrocket out of reach the way Hulk 181 has, I think many people will gravitate toward 299 & 360 the way they are Hulk 180.

Or; if everyone suddenly feels the first named appearance of any size in a comic book story is the 1st appearance, whether the next full appearance or 1st cover appearance is more desirable[valuable] or not.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of cameos and first appearances, these seem to have have cooled down quite a bit.

First cameo of Ultron:

First appearance of Ultron:

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Naomi #1 1st print - 25,252
Naomi #1 2nd print - 3,664
Naomi #1 3rd print - 894
Naomi #2 - 15,838
Naomi #3 - 14,691

Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-01.html

So, how does the low print run of the 3rd print affect value?
Post 78 IP   flag post
It doesn't. It's perceived value.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Low print runs build hype. Demand makes the value spike. People take notice and a brand new character and get tons of attention and interest. The character gets an option for movie or TV show and a star is born.

Post 80 IP   flag post
618011 123 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?