Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Any love for Silver Surfer Black?8917

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a feeling that this 5 issue series could is gonna be a sleeper. I think when the Silver Surfer movie hits, this series could very well tie into it. Any thoughts??

Silver Surfer Black 1

Published by MARVEL COMICS

(W) Donny Cates (A/CA) Tradd Moore Spinning out of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1, almost the entire galaxy's defenders have been blown through a black hole, including the Silver Surfer! But the story doesn't end there… In order to fight back the oblivion, Surfer will have to fight to save his own soul and not lose himself to the void. Follow the Sentinel of the Spaceways on a journey that will change him forever! From superstars Donny Cates (VENOM, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY) and Tradd Moore (ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER, VENOM)! Rated T+

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Anything Donny Cates I’m gonna pick up!
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed @daywalker
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i think this book will definitely make some waves.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Anything Donny Cates I’m gonna pick up!

That's kind of my thinking also. I'm not too impressed with Moore's art, but it's not terrible. I have a hard time getting into comics that have terrible art. But Cates is a top notch writer, so I'm thinking that great writing plus mediocre art might equal a decent comic. If the story line is a flop by Cates (it could happen) then I see these being in the dollar bin in a year or so.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not overly familiar with Moore and the cover for 1 is kinda just mediocre if anyone cares what I think... with that being said I own everything Donny cates has written(almost) and that’s all it takes for me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ya, I’m not really impressed with the cover either. There are some really nice variants coming out though!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Variants = empty wallet!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ya, I’m not getting any either! Lol!
Post 9 IP   flag post
oh man! i like the cover! lol, i guess i'm the only one but I kinda dig Moore's art style.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@infinityG to be fair, I've never read a lot of comics that were drawn by him. I've always liked the Surfer (and dreaded the fact that he was tied to the Fantastic Four). So, I plan on getting all 5 issues. We'll see what my feelings are at the end of it. Just FYI - I am NOT a huge FF fan. I like all four characters individually, but not as a group. And I think Dr. Doom is a GREAT villain!!! There is just something about the FF that I've never cared for. I don't know, maybe it was bad story lines back in the day. Whatever the cause, I've always thought of the FF as a lame team. I enjoyed West Coast Avengers more than I enjoyed FF. But "The Thing" series was great, IMO.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
This series spiked Thanos #15 3rd printing (“black” surfer cover). Speculation this series may tie into the The Fallen One who debuted in Thanos 15/16. I was lucky enough to find a few copies in a back issue bin a few weeks ago for cover. Also found a nice copy of Thanos 16 2nd print which is also a cool black surfer cover.

I’m also thinking Cates is going to do what Cates does and pull in some history/characters from past surfer books...was going to start putting some issues on eBay...I’ll wait a bit longer to see where this is going first.
Post 12 IP   flag post
And I also hate the art... it will buy the book for the story.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’d be in on the Thanos 15 @drogio, I didn’t pay attention after the first print and totally missed that book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Probably skipping this series.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Pass
Post 16 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Nice work on that eyeliner. I wonder what brand that is. My wife would appreciates it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
hmmm Silver Surfer does look female....strange.

I am a fan of Tradd's work from the Luther Strode series. He also did some killer covers for Secret Warriors (2017). I hope that SS cover is just a outlier...

Post 18 IP   flag post
Man tough art crowd lol! Honestly, I never heard of Tradd Moore before but I liked the Kirby/Allred feel he has to his work.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the cover art to Secret Warriors Vol. 2 No. 1 by Tradd. Dude has crazy talent.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
My general aversion to variants aside, Sad Lemon Comics has a cool one that is coming out for SS Black #1.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Pure speculation here, but I believe that GOTG Annual #1 might be the first appearance of Silver Surfer Black. Despite what eBayer's are saying, I am not finding the first appearance of SS Black listed yet. GOTG Annual comes out the week before SSB #1. According to Donny Cates ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cates
"Oh man, just wait. I know we say that all the time, but I like to think by now that you guys trust me when I tell you things are going to be big," Cates tells Newsarama. "The last page of this annual will kind of spell out the big throughline for the rest of my Guardians run. That's all I'll say for now. But you'll want to be paying attention to this one."

Newsarama preview
Post 22 IP   flag post
this SS Black/Fallen One thing is all over the place that it's hard to tell what the 1st is going to be.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector fsurfer private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, a newbie on cbcs here. Does anyone know of a list of ss black variants? I tried making a list from eBay and what I could scrounge from the net. I found about 16 or 17 including reg issues. Is there a place that has an official list? Autograph issues don't count.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Thanos 15 4th print is 1st appearance of Silver Surfer Black. So far.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Chronologically Thanos 16 came out before 15,4th print. Seems like it’s the whole debate first appearance again, I’ve seen both books called the first appearance
Post 26 IP   flag post
I’ll just get all of them to be safe......
Post 27 IP   flag post
Assuming the “Fallen One” Surfer from Donny Cates Thanos run IS the black surfer...which has yet to be confirmed (but we all believe will be in time)...

Chronological by release date:

Thanos 15 1st print = first appearance (cameo)
Thanos 16 1st print = first appearance (full)
Thanos 17 J.G. Jones Shop Variant = first cover appearance
Thanos 15 4th print (trade dress) = first cover appearance that’s not a shop variant (Note: Virgin cover of same art is an Unknown Comic Books ship variant)
Thanos 16 3rd Print = another cover appearance.
Thanos 17 2nd Print = another cover appearance

Also, I don’t know if any of these variants of the new series coming out actually have the “black tinted” surfer on the cover....they all look pretty silver to me...
Post 28 IP   flag post
600892 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?