Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Allen Bellman - should I get a sketch??8878

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Soooo not super familiar with Mr Bellmans work but it's not often a GA artist comes to town - anyone have a sketch - does he still do con sketches??!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm, I've seen him 3-4 times. I've never seen him doing sketches. He has a lot of trouble with his hands shaking for his sigs and may be why. I don't even recall a book of sketches. On a related note, he's a funny dude who is a LOT of fun to talk to. He's so appreciative of the fans and people stopping to talk to him. A real pleasure. I've bought some of his prints to get signed just because I like him.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@etapi65 good to know!! I just assumed he did con sketches because he offers commissions on his web site -that might be the way to go if I reallllly really want an original...maybe just a print?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics definitely get a sketch! He does his sketches before hand because his hand gets a little shaky these days, and he prefers to converse with the fans instead of working during the cons since he requires extra time to make sure he likes his work. The sketches he does are usually on white cover books, like Captain America #1 reprints and stuff.

They have always maintained their value for me, and talking to him is great fun.
I would recommend it over the online commission option, personally.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@KatKomics definitely get a sketch! He does his sketches before hand because his hand gets a little shaky these days, and he prefers to converse with the fans instead of working during the cons since he requires extra time to make sure he likes his work. The sketches he does are usually on white cover books, like Captain America #1 reprints and stuff.

They have always maintained their value for me, and talking to him is great fun.
I would recommend it over the online commission option, personally.
Good to know. do you set-up the sketch through a website to get it done beforehand?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Also, I have not seen him for a few years at the cons I've attended so my experience may differ from his current setup.

@etapi65 They are usually pre-done, but if you contact him on his website he may be able to arrange a custom one with "con pick-up".

All the books he sketched for me all ended up being 9.8s too, so his wife takes good care of them in transport.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I emailed him a while back when he was announced inquiring about cover sketches, because most of his books he worked on are out of my price range for signatures...

Here's the reply...

Paul, Thank you for your interest in my art.As I do finished head shots at cons, no doodles, I can only do so many but I won't let you down. Those I cannot do I take back to my studio and Mail them back at no postage fee to the fan. As for price,let me put it this way,The fans mean more to me then money, Oh yes I supply the Marvel Blank comic book NC.
Post 7 IP   flag post
That reply sounds like him; occurs to me I get so caught-up talking to him I never even asked about any of this.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the info everyone!!!

Sounds like a sketched cover is in the future for me - I'll be submitting other books for AW at the same convention so I'll just add this to the order as art cover I guess
Post 9 IP   flag post
Oh, on a related note, some of his early Crime comics aren't too expensive. i did buy one just to get him to sign it and it was like $40 for a Crime Fighters #8 (1949) in 5.0-5.5 ish.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I met him a few years ago at a convention in Cincinnati. He and his wife were so much fun! I bought a few prints and loved listening to him speak about his work and his experiences. About a year or so later, I got in touch with him through his website and ordered a commission. He was absolutely fabulous! He kept in touch during the whole process and even called me a couple of times to talk about the piece and to make sure I received it and that I was happy with the art. He genuinely cares about his fans and loves to converse with them. I am sure you will not be disappointed!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Black_Katze private msg quote post Address this user
I met him and his wife last year, they are great, he did some sketches for me and I arranged them to be submitted at the show through CBCS. Everything went well with no issues. Definitely recommend getting a piece or two done.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@Black_Katze those are awesome!! love the Red Skull!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@KatKomics Also, I have not seen him for a few years at the cons I've attended so my experience may differ from his current setup.

@etapi65 They are usually pre-done, but if you contact him on his website he may be able to arrange a custom one with "con pick-up".

All the books he sketched for me all ended up being 9.8s too, so his wife takes good care of them in transport.

Thanks for this. I'm all set to get a book done this summer. Don't know why I never thought to ask...
Post 14 IP   flag post
602881 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?