Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
This is more of a CGC question, but may also apply to CBCS shipping.

I’m about to send in an order to cgc, and I have the option of l using their expensive FEDEX return shipping options which cover only $100 insured, or using my own account.

I’m thinking it’s cheaper to use my own, but what happens when I enter the information? Does cgc contact me before they shop to request how much coverage I want, or die they just go by my estimated value and charge my fed ex account accordingly?

Anyone with experience in this? Right now I would pay $52 to ship and I’m thinking I can do way better using my own account....or at least get mote than $100 insures value for the same price CGC is quoting me.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector akiva private msg quote post Address this user
Great question! I thought each book was insured up to $250, but if you are shipping high value titles, then a higher level should be available.

I always drop my books off to save on the "to CBCS" shipping. It saves me about $2.50 a book. When you really break it down, the cost of a $16 book to have graded can increase by over 30% when you factor in shipping, so anything you can do to decrease shipping while maintaining the quality of the shipping adds value and saves money.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I use my account all the time. Weather CGC Or CBCS it works well. But neither has ever called me and asked about ins. I have never had a problem. Also I have never checked my account to see how much I have been charged. For the return. I guess I should do that. For me it’s cheaper for me to use my account and I’m pretty sure insurance is the same. But when I get some time I’ll have to check to see if I’m getting the fully insured charge or the standard 100.
Great eye opening question. 🖖
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Packages shipped using customer FedEx accounts are not insured. People who use this option usually have a collectible insurance policy that covers their inbound packages.

FedEx does not insure packages containing collectibles. They'll gladly sell you insurance on the package, but will not pay a claim as it is clearly not covered in their terms and conditions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the heads up.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Packages shipped using customer FedEx accounts are not insured. People who use this option usually have a collectible insurance policy that covers their inbound packages.

FedEx does not insure packages containing collectibles. They'll gladly sell you insurance on the package, but will not pay a claim as it is clearly not covered in their terms and conditions.

Thank you for clarifying, @SteveRicketts .

So what’s the advantage to using your own account versus what cbcs or CGC quote? When I ran an uninsured package from there to my house I was quoted about half the price. I’m assuming that’s what I’d be charged if I gave my account and I can set up a policy separately...although it sounds like money thrown away if they will never pay out as it’s not covered by that policy they sell to you.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don’t see anything about fedex not covering collectibles. It does say in order for a claim to be valid they (fed ex) has to package it, otherwise it ma es out at $100.

I’m assuming grading companies are not having fed ex workers package up their shipments...and that is why they aren’t covered beyond $100.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I asked for clarification internally and have been corrected. FedEx will cover collectibles up to $500, but we do not alter insured values for the purposes of shipping. If you are going to use a personal FedEx account, I suggest you have private collectible insurance that will cover your inbound packages, as you may not be covered adequately with FedEx insurance.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts when you say you do not alter insured values, do you mean you do not enter them or do you mean you enter the “declared” value as provided by the customer and nothing else (regardless of grade assigned)?

I think you’re saying you do the latter.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
What SteveRicketts just said.

Which answers the OP's question....

When you give CGC or CBCS your own FedEx account # to ship under, the only potential savings is on the shipping costs. The expectation is that YOU HAVE your own private shipping insurance that covers the contents while being shipped to you.

CGC clearly states when you select your return shipping method that if you chose FedEX or UPS through them OR list your FedEx account for return shipping that you are expected to have your own private shipping insurance. That packages returned to you via FedEx, UPS and/or shipped/billed under your own account are insured for $100. Period.

I would also point out that sometimes the savings are not what they seem. Especially at CGC. Large companies get a better rate from services like FedEx and UPS than the average consumer. I only saved money using my own shipping account when it got to about 7-8 books. Before that the cheapest was actually CGC shipping it via FedEx.

FedEx has also had a recent spate of trouble with thefts of late. There are places where CGC no longer offers FedEx as a shipping option. Too much stuff gone missing. I cancelled my FedEx account years ago and just pay CGC/CBCS's charges. Simpler, safer.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
What SteveRicketts just said.

Which answers the OP's question....

When you give CGC or CBCS your own FedEx account # to ship under, the only potential savings is on the shipping costs. The expectation is that YOU HAVE your own private shipping insurance that covers the contents while being shipped to you.

CGC clearly states when you select your return shipping method that if you chose FedEX or UPS through them OR list your FedEx account for return shipping that you are expected to have your own private shipping insurance. That packages returned to you via FedEx, UPS and/or shipped/billed under your own account are insured for $100. Period.

I would also point out that sometimes the savings are not what they seem. Especially at CGC. Large companies get a better rate from services like FedEx and UPS than the average consumer. I only saved money using my own shipping account when it got to about 7-8 books. Before that the cheapest was actually CGC shipping it via FedEx.

FedEx has also had a recent spate of trouble with thefts of late. There are places where CGC no longer offers FedEx as a shipping option. Too much stuff gone missing. I cancelled my FedEx account years ago and just pay CGC/CBCS's charges. Simpler, safer.

Yeah, I think I got it now. If i want insurance higher than $100 I need to go registered or look into private insurance. So I need to look into what that entails.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio
https://collectinsure.com/

Collectors policies are inexpensive, you need to ask what amount/conditions private shipping insurance are available with collector's policies.

My dealer policy has pretty good shipping insurance. But I am fairly certain collectors policies have such - or can be added.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
@Drogio
https://collectinsure.com/

Collectors policies are inexpensive, you need to ask what amount/conditions private shipping insurance are available with collector's policies.

My dealer policy has pretty good shipping insurance. But I am fairly certain collectors policies have such - or can be added.

They do. My collector's policy covers incoming shipments.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Much appreciated guys. I’ll look into this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600646 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?