Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeQuestions

Gerber Full-Back / Mylites2 Question8829

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Been slowly converting my Silver and Bronze Age books over from standard (BCW) bags and boards to Gerber Full-Backs and Mylite2. By doing this have I effectively avoided the need to re-bag/board that is suggested every few years when using standard supplies? My apologies if this was covered in an earlier thread but my search didn’t produce an answer. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. I've undertaken this task with my PC. In fact, I just ordered a ton of the bags and boards from E Gerber on Friday.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks @Studley_Dudley. I should just bite the bullet and direct order enough from Gerber to do everything but I’m converting 100 at a time as I have the extra cash. Ready Set Collect seems to have decent prices and very quick shipping.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Correct, I completed this on my PC about 2 years ago. 100% acid free full backs and mylites 2 for every book. it was a pain in the @ss because I did it in 3 sittings and my PC consists of over 2200 books. Every book added to my collection since then gets the same treatment. I have no intention of doing this again because I can still feel the pain and cramps in my back. lol!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I've had books stored in mylites2 and fullbacks for up to 10 years and the supplies are still like new. No yellowing, no bags sticking together, and the boards are still bright white.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks @Pre_Coder...exactly the answer I was looking for! 👍🏼
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@tonnage71 I have also used them for a long time and they still look great. They really make the book pop. These bags/boards are worth the extra cost over regular bags/board combo.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
hmmmm...I can update my PC for $3,600...think I'm going to have to wait on that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
hmmmm...I can update my PC for $3,600...think I'm going to have to wait on that.

Start small. Buy 100 And Put your most valuable raws in them to start. Of course once you see how spectacular your books look in them you’ll immediately buy 100-200 more...and then it just spirals from there...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

Start small. Buy 100 And Put your most valuable raws in them to start. Of course once you see how spectacular your books look in them you’ll immediately buy 100-200 more...and then it just spirals from there...

Truth!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@tonnage71 - Dave, good move. I have been slowly switching over to Mylites and Fullbacks for the last two or three years. The are so much better than regular bags and boards. In fact, I just ordered another 50 of each last Thursday (and used my eBay Bucks too). I can usually get 50 of each for around $32-$35 shipped. Or you can get cheaper rates if you buy bulk quantities.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Next question...do you use Gold/Silver size for everything or downsize to Standard for Bronze and Modern books? I can understand the extra space benefit the Gold/Silvers offer to further protect newer/smaller books but am considering buying a bunch of Standard size for my next order. Thoughts?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Mylites and mylar rocks. Had a white page silver age book bought in the late eighties. Sealed it up. Stopped collecting for 20 years. Re opened the book. Pure white pages still and mylar still looks new. Luckily for me my collection is 300 plus books and half a certified so was easy for me to use mylar on all my books. No need to replace them in the future
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage71
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Next question...do you use Gold/Silver size for everything or downsize to Standard for Bronze and Modern books? I can understand the extra space benefit the Gold/Silvers offer to further protect newer/smaller books but am considering buying a bunch of Standard size for my next order. Thoughts?
You can use the standard size bags and boards for SA books as long as they aren't super thick. I would go the next size up if you have square bound or 100 page books or anything like that. Those I buy individually because I don't have many like that. Never had problems with standard size and SA books, though.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
You can use the standard size bags and boards for SA books as long as they aren't super thick. I would go the next size up if you have square bound or 100 page books or anything like that. Those I buy individually because I don't have many like that. Never had problems with standard size and SA books, though.

+1
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Have been on the fence on starting this with my PC...closing in on 8k books....
Maybe like others have suggested, I'll start 100 or 200 at a time and work on valuable ($$ or sentimental) first. Or!!! need to off load a ton of books!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I pretty much use Standard size for all SA, BA, CA, and even some Moderns.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
These are the sizes I use which go hand in hand and are the best. I will never use anything else. I now use these for every comic I buy, because it is a pain in the butt to have to dig into the collection to change them out.

Post 18 IP   flag post
One thing I’ve noticed about the Gold/Silver sized boards and sleeves I’ve bought from Gerber is they won’t fit in a standard width long or short box. I’ve had to put mine in a slab sized storage box. Do the Standard size fit in regular storage boxes? If not any other suggestions? Appreciate the information!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I use the Standard size with Half Backs for Bronze Age and newer. I use the Silver/Gold size with Full Backs for Silver Age and Older. My recent books on my pull list get put in the poly bags and boards unless it is something special. Usually books over $20 in higher grade go in the Mylite2 holders.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do the Standard size fit in regular storage boxes? If not any other suggestions? Appreciate the information!

Standard size will fit in normal comic book boxes.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Standard size will fit in normal comic book boxes.
Good point. The Silver/Gold size do not fit in a regular comic book box across the width of the book.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

No boxes. Just store in my drawers. Lots of space and only 350 books so take up just 3 with space to store mylar and backing boards
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
One thing I’ve noticed about the Gold/Silver sized boards and sleeves I’ve bought from Gerber is they won’t fit in a standard width long or short box. I’ve had to put mine in a slab sized storage box. Do the Standard size fit in regular storage boxes? If not any other suggestions? Appreciate the information!

It is true, the silver/gold size will not fit into the standard width boxes. I use magazine size boxes because they are shorter height than the slab boxes. You can add material inside he box to make up the difference in extra width if needed. Just make sure it’s friendly to being stored with comics.

I use the silver/gold size, Even for moderns. I was doing the same for regular bags/boards so I guess I just followed suit. I didn’t like how tight modern comics fit into standard size so I assumed my life’s would be the same issue. Maybe I should order some
Post 24 IP   flag post
BTW, I’ve noticed recently when I store books in regular bags with regular boards (acid free non mylites) color rubs from the comic t9mthe board frequently. To combat this i have started bagging the comic in a regular size bag without a board, then placing that inside of a silver age back with a silver age board. Basically double bagging with a board separated from the comic by a bag.

Not sure this will prevent this in the future, but I’ve never seen color rub off onto a bag...just cheap boards.

But to relate this to the OP, I don’t recall ever seeing color rub off onto my lite full backs...so I haven’t been double bagging those. Not sure how the mylite would react chemically with the plastic bag either.
Post 25 IP   flag post
596780 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?