Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureToys Statues

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Thread8817

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can say that I am genuinely excited for this film. Force Awakens was just a New Hope remade for me, but enjoyable. I did not care for the Last Jedi at all. The trailer for this has got me intrigued. I'm hoping that this provides some solid closure to the trilogy because I felt let down with Ep 8.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I can say that I am genuinely excited for this film. Force Awakens was just a New Hope remade for me, but enjoyable. I did not care for the Last Jedi at all. The trailer for this has got me intrigued. I'm hoping that this provides some solid closure to the trilogy because I felt let down with Ep 8.

For sure, I think Last Jedi let a lot of people down. It was out character and seemingly spitting in the face of what had come before. I do agree that The Force Awakens was a lot like ANH. But for that movie, I think it rather smart of JJ's part. It signaled that this wasn't prequel territory but would be the feel and heart of the Original trilogy. It was familiar and nostalgic, something that we, after over a decade without a movie, probably needed.

This next movie, with JJ back at the helm again, needs to do a LOT to wrap up 42 years of story-telling and make way for what will come after. Based on the teaser and JJ's skill, I think we're in for a treat! I'm glad to hear that people who were either on the fence or turned away from the franchise based on The Last Jedi are going to give it another change with this move!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
The new trilogy is tough one and not sure what I feel watching the trailer for ep ix as 2 movies in and don't have any attachment to characters at all.

I really want to ... the movies are dazzling and spectacularly capture the visuals and sounds of star wars so it feels like I SHOULD love them. but just falls apart with storytelling that just .... doesn't ... make ... any ... sense to me

Sigh .. maybe I'm old or not next gen enough... I really, really hope this one can bring the magic back
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
The new trilogy is tough one and not sure what I feel watching the trailer for ep ix as 2 movies in and don't have any attachment to characters at all.

I really want to ... the movies are dazzling and spectacularly capture the visuals and sounds of star wars so it feels like I SHOULD love them. but just falls apart with storytelling that just .... doesn't ... make ... any ... sense to me

Sigh .. maybe I'm old or not next gen enough... I really, really hope this one can bring the magic back

I'm probably in the minority as far as people that liked both movies. Were they a little out of balance, yes, but overall I enjoyed them. I think I learned my lessons from the prequels where my expectations were so high going in that there was no real way to meet them. Conversely, it seems anybody to young to see the originals in the theater absolutely loves the prequels. I made up my mind with this new trilogy to not set expectations or compare it to the other films. So, I just take them as they come and enjoy them for what they are.

My biggest problem with the Force Awakens was that Disney outsmarted itself with its cross over marketing. They had all the books and comics for the lead in to the movie, and apparently they contained all the back story, but I didn't have the time or money to read all that. But then they didn't explain things very well in the movie itself. The resistance still confuses me. I mean, the whole point of the rebellion in the original trilogies was to restore the Republic from the prequels. So in the Force Awakens, there was a legitimate government (which was destroyed by the Star Killer), there was a faction of the old Empire led by Snoke, and there was the Resistance. Why was the resistance needed? If a legitimate government had been restored, why was there not an army? That has confused me from day one. But, again, I was a fan of the expanded universe and had read almost all of the novels/comic books detailing life after ROTJ.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest complaint with the current trilogy is that they are completely ignoring character development. After two movies now and we know absolutely nothing about Finn or Rey. Not just their past, but their present as well. We know nothing about who they are. We know nothing about their honor or personal sacrifices. Nothing.

As a matter of fact, if you completely removed Finn and Rey from the story, there is no difference. They add absolutely nothing to the universe and the story being told. They have had no affect on the outcome of the story so far. I want to love these characters, but they're both completely inconsequential overall.

Sadly, what happens when you have characters with no development, they have no emotional connection with the viewer. The original Star Wars series was awesome because you loved the characters; you knew who they were and you knew what they stood for. When you have a bond with the characters in a movie, the plot can be weak because the characters carry the weight of the film. Darth Vader was amazing because he was able to connect to you personally. Han, Leia, and Luke were connected to you. You knew them and cared for them.

Episode VII had potential, but completely forgot to develop the new characters...but there was still a chance to resolve this with episode VIII. Unfortunately, they doubled down on it and in turn, may have completely lost the chance to save it. I'm still holding out hope that the next one will work, but their only chance is to make us love the new characters. It really is that easy. I don't know why they can't see it.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Just to add, I don't think they understand how to fix the series, because they seem to think they need to just bring back a bunch of characters that we already love. It's a bandaid on the wound...but this wound is too deep.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Disney Star Wars has been dead since the very beginning of the trilogy. Sadly the Force Awakens was just JJ's Abrams fools gold.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Cant say I am a huge star wars fan to start with so I don't have a dog in the race so to speak but I did notice I really wasn't drawn in to the newer movies.....they lacked that ability like Steve described to make you care about the characters. I could never put my finger on it until Steve explained it above, but I think he is right....the movies don't connect with me so far.
Nevermind the tantrum prone villain that wrecks his room when things go wrong....Vader would choke someone out and seemed menacing. This new guy just seems to whine and act like a tempestuous child....just my opinion.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
My biggest complaint with the current trilogy is that they are completely ignoring character development. After two movies now and we know absolutely nothing about Finn or Rey. Not just their past, but their present as well. We know nothing about who they are. We know nothing about their honor or personal sacrifices. Nothing.

As a matter of fact, if you completely removed Finn and Rey from the story, there is no difference. They add absolutely nothing to the universe and the story being told. They have had no affect on the outcome of the story so far. I want to love these characters, but they're both completely inconsequential overall.

Sadly, what happens when you have characters with no development, they have no emotional connection with the viewer. The original Star Wars series was awesome because you loved the characters; you knew who they were and you knew what they stood for. When you have a bond with the characters in a movie, the plot can be weak because the characters carry the weight of the film. Darth Vader was amazing because he was able to connect to you personally. Han, Leia, and Luke were connected to you. You knew them and cared for them.

Episode VII had potential, but completely forgot to develop the new characters...but there was still a chance to resolve this with episode VIII. Unfortunately, they doubled down on it and in turn, may have completely lost the chance to save it. I'm still holding out hope that the next one will work, but their only chance is to make us love the new characters. It really is that easy. I don't know why they can't see it.
exactly why when I see the trailer I just feel .. 'meh' ....

Rei basically has the ability to do anything she has to to push the plot forward with no real challenge, so watching her jump over a tie fighter is just another " Oh, she can do that too " ..

Luke was always challenged, had failures but pushed through them and overcame .. he inspired people to have the same positive attitude to achieve the impossible .. rei just does stuff first try and mopes about her missing parents.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Mildly interested...barely.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Wraith Mopes about missing her parents...that she has no memory of, and has no idea who they are.

Seriously, if you took Rey and Finn completely out of the last two movies, just surgically removed their characters, the movies would miss nothing. They could logically end the same way and still be the same movies.

All they had to do was make the characters connect to the audience, make us care about them, and they could have avoided all this backlash. Instead, they choose to bring back Lando and Palpatine, two people we already care about. Too little, too late.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
This new guy just seems to whine and act like a tempestuous child....just my opinion.

Yeah, we are definitely going backwards. Vader is on the list as one of the best villains of all time. Hayden Christensen played Anakin like a spoiled, petulant, whining child and Kylo Ren is picking up right where the prequels left off in that regard....
Post 37 IP   flag post
"Disney announced that three new untitled Star Wars films will start hitting theaters in 2022. There will be two other follow-ups in 2024 and 2026."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-avatar-star-wars-marvel-1203207661/
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
This new guy just seems to whine and act like a tempestuous child....just my opinion.

Yeah, we are definitely going backwards. Vader is on the list as one of the best villains of all time. Hayden Christensen played Anakin like a spoiled, petulant, whining child and Kylo Ren is picking up right where the prequels left off in that regard....

Here is raw footage of Kylo Ren before the CGI was added...

Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts I agree.
The only character that I'm forced to like (cause all the others suck) is Kylo & that's only cause all the original cast characters are dead (ones that I cared about at least).

I'll be rooting for the Emperor (Darth Sidious) & Kylo Ren (as long as he stays a Sith).
Post 40 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@Wraith Mopes about missing her parents...that she has no memory of, and has no idea who they are.

Seriously, if you took Rey and Finn completely out of the last two movies, just surgically removed their characters, the movies would miss nothing. They could logically end the same way and still be the same movies.

All they had to do was make the characters connect to the audience, make us care about them, and they could have avoided all this backlash. Instead, they choose to bring back Lando and Palpatine, two people we already care about. Too little, too late.

yeah!!!..100%!!!
I kept waiting for some sort of delving into who her parents were, why did they leave?? why she has such strong force abilities how is that all related etc.
I mean damned - took Luke a whole movie to half assed fight a training drone and have slightly better aim then other pilots but Rey has mastered the Jedi Mind Trick, can force pull the light saber etc.etc. after 1 film!!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Too bad there was no extended Star Wars universe source material to pull from....
Post 42 IP   flag post
They would have been better off doing a movie series on Darth Maul (after he survived getting cut in half) and his brother & mother. It would have made a more interesting story.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Too bad there was no extended Star Wars universe source material to pull from....

Man, you're not joking. The Solo movie could have benefited from it, and these last movies could have definitely benefited. I'm still trying to figure out why the Big D immediately made all that non-canon. I guess they didn't want to have to pay royalties to the authors????
Post 44 IP   flag post
They're going to have to pull in some Legends canon for it to makes sense that Palpy is back
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
They're going to have to pull in some Legends canon for it to makes sense that Palpy is back

Not necessarily, Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise? It's not a story a jedi would tell you...
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

Not necessarily, Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise? It's not a story a jedi would tell you...

Remember:

Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, that’s all in my video I posted earlier in the thread (post 23). That’s a great scene from ROTS, one of my favorite lines of his comes from that opera scene “Good is a point of view”
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yep, that’s all in my video I posted earlier in the thread (post 23). That’s a great scene from ROTS, one of my favorite lines of his comes from that opera scene “Good is a point of view”

I haven't been in a place where I could watch that yet, but I've got to make some time to watch it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
The film has potential to be good I find the whole rumour of Matt smith being possessed by the emperor interesting. I did not care for last Jedi hope it is a better film.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@David_Kent I heard that Matt Smith isn't in the movie at all. But Ian McDiarmid (Emperor) is and so is Mark Hamill (Luke).
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@David_Kent I heard that Matt Smith isn't in the movie at all. But Ian McDiarmid (Emperor) is and so is Mark Hamill(Luke).
force ghost duel
Post 52 IP   flag post
@Wraith I didn't think about that, what's the word.... lameness....
Post 53 IP   flag post
As is expected for May, the Vanity Fair special has arrived featuring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

The article is here:
Star Wars x Vanity Fair

Here's some of the covers and interior photos:

The Knights of Ren!

Keri Russell as the masked scoundrel Zorri Bliss, seen in the Thieves’ Quarter of the snow-dusted world Kijimi

Post 54 IP   flag post
Here is a full breakdown on the images and what was said for the 2019 Vanity Fair special on Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker!

Tons of cool stuff and some "theory" to boot ... enjoy!

Post 55 IP   flag post
601503 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?