Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureToys Statues

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Thread8817

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars Celebration 2019 has kicked off for this weekend and with it is sure to come TONS of news. title reveal, maybe some footage.

Here's a thread where we can put it all in one place.

There's a panel going on right now that gave us a first look at Billy Dee Williams as Lando

Post 1 IP   flag post
Naomi Ackie’s character Jannah.
Most say she is Lando's daughter

Post 2 IP   flag post
Poe

Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics Billy Dee lookin good!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Daisy said that Luke's lightsaber will still be working

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@JLS_Comics Billy Dee lookin good!!!

Right! He still has that ol' Lando swagger
Post 6 IP   flag post
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker!!
Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics I had never been so excited for a movie as I was for The Last Jedi. I was not a fan of it, and it broke me inside.

I wasn't excited to see this trailer...at first I was like "Star Wars is dead to me", but now I'm like "thank you JJ for fixing this debacle". I am hopeful.

I agree with Kevin Smith in that even though I didn't like The Last Jedi, it's still Star Wars and I will always see all of them when they release.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Kill the past... Hey is that Lando...was that Palpatine... Sure need to see another death star.. How about some ewoks.

JJ going to try to recon last jedi?
Post 11 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics

Not liking that name.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I couldn't tell if that was the emperor laughing or if Hammil was throwing in a quick Joker tribute...
Post 13 IP   flag post
That weird alien on the "leaked poster" for Star Wars: The Rise Rise of Skywalker is a new alien, friend to the resistance named Klad. JJ Abrams says it's a friend of Chewie's that he brought in

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
I couldn't tell if that was the emperor laughing or if Hammil was throwing in a quick Joker tribute...

lol Definitely Palpatine
When they were showing that clip, Ian McDiarmid was on stage and they showed the tag line " No one is ever really gone"
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I hope this isn't their way of "appeasing" fans of the expanded Universe, which is far and away superior to what they've been making. Jaina Solo and her twin Jacen (later Darth Caedus) would have been so much more entertaining, ESPECIALLY if they worked with The Yuuzhan Vong War, and Anakin Solo's role in the outcome. Plus, Han remains a stand up kind of guy and helps rebuild the Republic. These @$$wipes made him a deadbeat dad and quitter.

And then there's Mara Jade! I mean, come ON!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

lol Definitely Palpatine
When they were showing that clip, Ian McDiarmid was on stage and they showed the tag line " No one is ever really gone"

Make sense, I mean I have heard the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing

JJ going to try to recon last jedi?

I mean...if he doesn't at least try I'll be disappointed.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

I hope this isn't their way of "appeasing" fans of the expanded Universe, which is far and away superior to what they've been making. Jaina Solo and her twin Jacen (later Darth Caedus) would have been so much more entertaining, ESPECIALLY if they worked with The Yuuzhan Vong War, and Anakin Solo's role in the outcome. Plus, Han remains a stand up kind of guy and helps rebuild the Republic. These @$$wipes made him a deadbeat dad and quitter.

And then there's Mara Jade! I mean, come ON!

Exactly! I haven't hated what they've done, but there was 25-30 years of rich material they could have cherry picked from.

For that matter, the train wreck that was Solo would have been better had they based it on the Han Solo trilogy books....
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars Episode IX: Help Us Obiwan Kenobi, You're Our Only Hope
Post 20 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I’m excited I was there on opening day for the first one. Even took my son out of school it was a 1pm showing Only about 20 people in the theater. I walked out and called my broker and told him to buy 20th century fox. He asked why. I told him I have a hunch. Within a week you couldn’t get a ticket. And yes I bought a duplex a year later.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974

For that matter, the train wreck that was Solo

Solo > The Last Jedi
Post 22 IP   flag post
Just because I appreciate you all, here is a full trailer breakdown for Star War Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker! Some theories, some references and some things you probably missed

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
in search of @DarthLego - far far away
Post 24 IP   flag post
I put this together this weekend. It's all about Palpatine (For those who don't know his story) and it explains how Palpatine can be back for TROS despite his apparent death in ROTJ

Post 25 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can say that I am genuinely excited for this film. Force Awakens was just a New Hope remade for me, but enjoyable. I did not care for the Last Jedi at all. The trailer for this has got me intrigued. I'm hoping that this provides some solid closure to the trilogy because I felt let down with Ep 8.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I can say that I am genuinely excited for this film. Force Awakens was just a New Hope remade for me, but enjoyable. I did not care for the Last Jedi at all. The trailer for this has got me intrigued. I'm hoping that this provides some solid closure to the trilogy because I felt let down with Ep 8.

For sure, I think Last Jedi let a lot of people down. It was out character and seemingly spitting in the face of what had come before. I do agree that The Force Awakens was a lot like ANH. But for that movie, I think it rather smart of JJ's part. It signaled that this wasn't prequel territory but would be the feel and heart of the Original trilogy. It was familiar and nostalgic, something that we, after over a decade without a movie, probably needed.

This next movie, with JJ back at the helm again, needs to do a LOT to wrap up 42 years of story-telling and make way for what will come after. Based on the teaser and JJ's skill, I think we're in for a treat! I'm glad to hear that people who were either on the fence or turned away from the franchise based on The Last Jedi are going to give it another change with this move!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
The new trilogy is tough one and not sure what I feel watching the trailer for ep ix as 2 movies in and don't have any attachment to characters at all.

I really want to ... the movies are dazzling and spectacularly capture the visuals and sounds of star wars so it feels like I SHOULD love them. but just falls apart with storytelling that just .... doesn't ... make ... any ... sense to me

Sigh .. maybe I'm old or not next gen enough... I really, really hope this one can bring the magic back
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
The new trilogy is tough one and not sure what I feel watching the trailer for ep ix as 2 movies in and don't have any attachment to characters at all.

I really want to ... the movies are dazzling and spectacularly capture the visuals and sounds of star wars so it feels like I SHOULD love them. but just falls apart with storytelling that just .... doesn't ... make ... any ... sense to me

Sigh .. maybe I'm old or not next gen enough... I really, really hope this one can bring the magic back

I'm probably in the minority as far as people that liked both movies. Were they a little out of balance, yes, but overall I enjoyed them. I think I learned my lessons from the prequels where my expectations were so high going in that there was no real way to meet them. Conversely, it seems anybody to young to see the originals in the theater absolutely loves the prequels. I made up my mind with this new trilogy to not set expectations or compare it to the other films. So, I just take them as they come and enjoy them for what they are.

My biggest problem with the Force Awakens was that Disney outsmarted itself with its cross over marketing. They had all the books and comics for the lead in to the movie, and apparently they contained all the back story, but I didn't have the time or money to read all that. But then they didn't explain things very well in the movie itself. The resistance still confuses me. I mean, the whole point of the rebellion in the original trilogies was to restore the Republic from the prequels. So in the Force Awakens, there was a legitimate government (which was destroyed by the Star Killer), there was a faction of the old Empire led by Snoke, and there was the Resistance. Why was the resistance needed? If a legitimate government had been restored, why was there not an army? That has confused me from day one. But, again, I was a fan of the expanded universe and had read almost all of the novels/comic books detailing life after ROTJ.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest complaint with the current trilogy is that they are completely ignoring character development. After two movies now and we know absolutely nothing about Finn or Rey. Not just their past, but their present as well. We know nothing about who they are. We know nothing about their honor or personal sacrifices. Nothing.

As a matter of fact, if you completely removed Finn and Rey from the story, there is no difference. They add absolutely nothing to the universe and the story being told. They have had no affect on the outcome of the story so far. I want to love these characters, but they're both completely inconsequential overall.

Sadly, what happens when you have characters with no development, they have no emotional connection with the viewer. The original Star Wars series was awesome because you loved the characters; you knew who they were and you knew what they stood for. When you have a bond with the characters in a movie, the plot can be weak because the characters carry the weight of the film. Darth Vader was amazing because he was able to connect to you personally. Han, Leia, and Luke were connected to you. You knew them and cared for them.

Episode VII had potential, but completely forgot to develop the new characters...but there was still a chance to resolve this with episode VIII. Unfortunately, they doubled down on it and in turn, may have completely lost the chance to save it. I'm still holding out hope that the next one will work, but their only chance is to make us love the new characters. It really is that easy. I don't know why they can't see it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601249 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?