Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestions

Ebay selling nightmare (or par for the course).8799

Collector akiva private msg quote post Address this user
So I have encountered the dreaded "Item not as described" in ebay.

I recently sold a Giant Size X-Men #1 7.5 as graded by CBCS. The literal title of the posting was "Giant-Size X-Men #1 7.5 CBCS Certification. (ebay.com/itm/223448274008)

In the posting I gave 4 photos, two scans of the book, done on a very nice scanner and two photos of the spine.

Aside from that I gave the book registration number (18-1CBD1BC-001). And told potential buyers to read the graders notes.

The book sold to ebay buyer golfmaster707 who stated that he could see a fold or crease on the back cover that may or may not break cover, and that he wanted me to do something about it. I double checked the scans on Ebay and you can clearly see the crease.

I told him that I don't take returns, as stated on the posting.

That is when he started accusing me of misrepresenting the sale, purposely hiding the fold (which is in a CBCS slabbed comic) and personally attacking me.

I told him that I think that he has buyers remorse and I offered him a return, minus 20% for shipping, restocking, paypal and ebay fees). I think he is just fishing for a discount, but I'm not going to eat over 10% in ebay and paypal fees on a return. Plus, I have put a lot of time into dealing with him.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? What can I expect when Ebay gets involved? Can I look up to see if he trys to initiate returns on a regular basis? Can I scan and reject buyers in the future with high return levels? Does Ebay back up sellers of slabbed comics or should I find somewhere else to sell my comics?

I feel like if Ebay sides with golfmaster707 on this it undermines the entire concept of selling a slabbed comic if the buyer can just claim that he disagrees with the grade (or just doesn't like how it looks, which is what this guy has said).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I would just say that you offered the return and move on, I think ebay will probably agress. I don't get complaining about a slabbed book. Especially since you posted picture(s) and the crease was visible in them. Its someone that just dropped 1100+ on a comic and is doubting himself probably. I think ebay should have your back on this one- especially if you offered a return. The book was graded by an outside party, you didn't misrepresent anything. I would definitely say this is irregular and the guy/girl/lizardperson simply wants some money back because he over spent
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t have any experience selling slabbed comics in particular, but my experience both buying and selling on eBay leads me to believe that they are most likely to just give the buyer his money back. They will issue a return shipping label and when you receive the book back you will have to issue s refund within a short period of time, 48 hours I think. Yes, it sucks and is not fair but it is the cost of doing business 😑.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The crease is clearly visible in the scans. Oddly, it’s not mentioned in the grader’s notes.

You may just have to accept the return on this one.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
(Amended)

@akiva Originally I though Golfmaster707 had sold the book as I got a best offer accepted hit when I looked up the book, but now it shows as ended by him as listing contained an error.

Recently ebay has taken a more balanced view between buyer and seller so based on what you have described - think you have a good chance of winning this one. you can either accept the return or fight it. If I were you I would call ebay customer support and ask them to look into it - including the messages he has sent you with the attacking language

However, this may also depend on the reason why you have had to sell this one 3 times and had returns

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Size-X-Men-1-July-1975-Marvel-7-5-CBCS-Certification-White-/173857757156?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
eBay has a tendency to side with the buyer, so you may end up having to accept a return.

However, you asked about blocking buyers. This tells you how to block specific buyers.

You have some limited control over who can bid on your items, as described here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Oh - just spotted one thing which means that I think ebay will rule in favour of the buyer. Some reason - under 7.5 is listed a grade of 8.5. That is enough for eBay to rule in favour of the buyer. You are better of just accept the return.

Your three previous sales (and returns?)
Top one is goldmaster707’s listing

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I am not following you - @akiva sold the book to golfmaster707. golfmaster707 is asking for a return (on a book he just resold?!?). golfmaster707 is the lister you linked to.

@akiva if he's already resold the same book he can't ask for a return.

I am very confused . . .
Post 8 IP   flag post
Funny enough, when golfmaster707 tried to flip this book, he made no mention of the crease that he is complaining about and it doesn’t seem to be visible in the eBay listing pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Size-X-Men-1-July-1975-Marvel-7-5-CBCS-Certification-White-Trimmed-/183761628876?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc#vi__app-cvip-panel
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, if the guy already resold the book I have no idea what the hell hes talking about. All Ebay can require is that you accept a return...if there's no book to return this shouldn't even be a thing
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@poka I am not following you - @akiva sold the book to golfmaster707. golfmaster707 is asking for a return (on a book he just resold?!?). golfmaster707 is the lister you linked to.

@akiva if he's already resold the same book he can't ask for a return.

I am very confused . . .

@akiva sold the book 3 times. The first 2 times the book seems to have been returned to him. Third sale was to golfmaster707. In one ebay window it says golfmaster707 has sold the book, but in another window it says that golfmaster ended the listing quoting error in listing.

In @akiva's sale to golfmaster besides the 7.5 it also says 8.5, so if golfmaster707 claims that the book is not a 8.5, ebay may agree with him.

I am curios the reasons the book got returned by the buyers the first 2 times
Post 11 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot
@Enelson

As @poka mentioned, it looks as though golfmaster707 ended the listing before it was sold.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I am betting once people realized it is Trimmed they return it. It is quite prominent in the graders notes but I can see a noob having no clue.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Also, it looks as though potential buyers were asking if the book has ever been pressed.

Once the buyer had the book in hand, he may have concluded that the crease was not a pressable defect and is now asking for a return.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I never actually shipped for the first two sales. The sellers sent me messages cancelling the orders (both unfortunately after the several hour long window ebay gives buyers for cancelling without needing approval from the seller). I have both of those transactions tracked and I made them request the cancellation from me (neither of them mentioned trimming as the reason why they wanted out). Golfmaster has also never mentioned the trimming either.

I didn't even know that golfmaster had put the book up for sale already!

Thanks for all the help, these forums rock!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
That is one issue with not having a highly visibly different label for trimmed/restored books, it's not apparent there is an issue unless you do a bit of research.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
That is one issue with not having a highly visibly different label for trimmed/restored books, it's not apparent there is an issue unless you do a bit of research.

praise be!!! CBCS should have a green or purple equivalent for trimmed/restored etc.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Color coding is nice to have, but it does indicate “Trimmed” in bold lettering right above the grade.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics - If you can read the 7.5 grade, you can read “Trimmed” right above it. I think CGC’s Qualified grade is the most confusing and dishonest. So if this book wasn’t missing it’s centerfold (or Marvel Value Stamp, or something else very important), it would grade 8.0 (but it is missing an important part, so the Real grade should be a 1.0, maybe lower, but it’s a real pretty looking 1.0).
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I have offered the buyer a return, conditional that ebay refund me my sellers fees, that he pay for shipping and 4% for the paypal fee that is now non-refundable.

I think that is super fair.

My big takeaway from this is that he didn't realize the book was trimmed and that he thought he could flip it for a few hundred dollars profit in a fixed amount sale.

While he attacked me personally in our discussions, I never attacked him, honestly, its just selling comics, not anything to get personal about.

Thanks for the help @CatCovers and @poka and everyone else.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Well, his response, after I offered him to just return it and a full refund minus 4% for paypal fees is this:

"How about you refund me a partial payment of $300 and I keep the book and we call it good? The book has value just not $1120 dollars value."

At this point, I have to just hope Ebay can see that he is trying to work me so that he can resell it at a higher profit.

When I get this book back I'm not even going to resell it. What a pain.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Oh so he does want the book. But at a cheaper price. Yep I agree get your book back and keep it. Let him try and hunt down another one for himself
Post 22 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiva
Well, his response, after I offered him to just return it and a full refund minus 4% for paypal fees is this:

"How about you refund me a partial payment of $300 and I keep the book and we call it good? The book has value just not $1120 dollars value."

At this point, I have to just hope Ebay can see that he is trying to work me so that he can resell it at a higher profit.

When I get this book back I'm not even going to resell it. What a pain.

At this point I would say forget it. Send him one last message saying that you are going to let ebay handle it from this point forward and end discussions with him. Call ebay and talk to them and tell them that he has harassed you and now is basically trying to force you into giving him a partial refund so he can make more money on the flip. Almost this same thing happened to me where the buyer bought a graded book and had it listed on his own account before he even got it. Then he complained about the service I used to ship it and asked for a return again BEFORE he even received the book. He was cussing me out, threatening me, and said that he was sure that the book would be damaged when it got to him. It was horrible and it just kept getting worse. So I finally called ebay and not only did he not get a refund they cancelled his ebay account. They have records of all messages sent through the ebay message system so they can check. I am sure that they will side in your favor.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@akiva

It looks like he was trying to flip this at zero risk. It didn’t sell, so now he’s trying to get a discount or return it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I dont get it...you have a book graded by a reputable 3rd party...it's slabbed for christ sake...you sold it for X and someone bought it. If they neglected to look closely at the remarks and missed that it was trimmed then that blows, but wtf? it's right there to see. How can the book possibly be misrepresented (aside from mention of the wrong grade somewhere - even though the slabs grade is clear)? This is someone either regretting the money spent or hoping they could press and flip for profit . No one seems to be accountable for actions anymore...getn really tired of ebay lately
Post 25 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind feeBay makes money so they best not to try to p o a buyer and the fault goes to the seller 99% of the time.

Like Watcher, I don't get why people are beootching about graded slabs. If you're buying 9.8 and the slab came a 9.8, then what does it matter? Any imperfections are already knocked off within the grade given. Looks like this guy tries to do an easy flip, which he did, and didn't get anything for it. Personally, I'd take it up with eBay and let them handle it. Just copy and paste down the entire conversation to back your case.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I'm with you here, the book was sold three times in two months.
This is indication of something misrepresented whether or not it's entirely your doing @akiva.

Absolutely notate trimmed in the description, as we can all clearly see how CBCS needs to redesign their label.

eBay is BuyerBay - 99% chance eBay sides with the buyer unless they provide zero evidence.
If I was the buyer I would just take a photo of the description, title, and of your original image to show how the first two have no mention of Trimmed, and how the Trimmed part of the label is such a small % of the entire photo it was easily missed (<1%) - especially when viewed on a mobile device.

Just work with the buyer to do the return or let him keep it for the discount and be done.

This book is going to have controversy following it with a label like that. Every time. Guaranteed.

Best be rid of it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man

Trimming was noted in the description and the picture was clear enough. There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one. Ebay can clearly see that the buyer already listed it for resell and the personal attacks sent via ebay messaging just destroys any credibility he had. The buyer will be lucky if his entire account doesn't get suspended or cancelled. I miss the days when you could leave idiotic buyers a negative feedback.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
@comic_book_man

Trimming was noted in the description and the picture was clear enough. There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one. Ebay can clearly see that the buyer already listed it for resell and the personal attacks sent via ebay messaging just destroys any credibility he had. The buyer will be lucky if his entire account doesn't get suspended or cancelled. I miss the days when you could leave idiotic buyers a negative feedback.

I really really hope you're correct.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@MutantMania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
@comic_book_man

There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one.

One hitch is the “8.5” vs. “7.5” that @poka pointed out. Any little “misrepresentation”, as innocent as it may be, may allow eBay to side with the buyer.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600771 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?