Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestions

Ebay selling nightmare (or par for the course).8799

"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind feeBay makes money so they best not to try to p o a buyer and the fault goes to the seller 99% of the time.

Like Watcher, I don't get why people are beootching about graded slabs. If you're buying 9.8 and the slab came a 9.8, then what does it matter? Any imperfections are already knocked off within the grade given. Looks like this guy tries to do an easy flip, which he did, and didn't get anything for it. Personally, I'd take it up with eBay and let them handle it. Just copy and paste down the entire conversation to back your case.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I'm with you here, the book was sold three times in two months.
This is indication of something misrepresented whether or not it's entirely your doing @akiva.

Absolutely notate trimmed in the description, as we can all clearly see how CBCS needs to redesign their label.

eBay is BuyerBay - 99% chance eBay sides with the buyer unless they provide zero evidence.
If I was the buyer I would just take a photo of the description, title, and of your original image to show how the first two have no mention of Trimmed, and how the Trimmed part of the label is such a small % of the entire photo it was easily missed (<1%) - especially when viewed on a mobile device.

Just work with the buyer to do the return or let him keep it for the discount and be done.

This book is going to have controversy following it with a label like that. Every time. Guaranteed.

Best be rid of it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man

Trimming was noted in the description and the picture was clear enough. There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one. Ebay can clearly see that the buyer already listed it for resell and the personal attacks sent via ebay messaging just destroys any credibility he had. The buyer will be lucky if his entire account doesn't get suspended or cancelled. I miss the days when you could leave idiotic buyers a negative feedback.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
@comic_book_man

Trimming was noted in the description and the picture was clear enough. There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one. Ebay can clearly see that the buyer already listed it for resell and the personal attacks sent via ebay messaging just destroys any credibility he had. The buyer will be lucky if his entire account doesn't get suspended or cancelled. I miss the days when you could leave idiotic buyers a negative feedback.

I really really hope you're correct.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@MutantMania
Quote:
@comic_book_man

There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one.

One hitch is the “8.5” vs. “7.5” that @poka pointed out. Any little “misrepresentation”, as innocent as it may be, may allow eBay to side with the buyer.
Post 30 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Where is the buyers responsibility in all this?

It's a joke if the seller is forced to take a return. This buyer is a sheister!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
@comic_book_man

@MutantMania Apologies, I clicked on @poka 's link. I was looking at the wrong one.

However, trimming was still not mentioned in the Title, and the Trimmed part of the photo is still <1% of the entire photo. So, I still stand by my original assessment other than the Description part - which was noted so that does help @akiva 's case. Almost entirely so. The re-sell attempt by the buyer also helps @akiva.

So, it's really a matter of who provides the better photo evidence and if its close... ~50/50 I reckon they favor the buyer.

Incomplete Title + <1% Photo Declaration versus Re-Sell Attempt + Notated Description
Post 32 IP   flag post
the 8.5 vs 7.5 thing is unfortunate but as a buyer, if you're unsure, ask.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@MutantMania
Quote:
@comic_book_man

There is no way he will lose this case if the buyer opens one.

One hitch is the “8.5” vs. “7.5” that @poka pointed out. Any little “misrepresentation”, as innocent as it may be, may allow eBay to side with the buyer.

Agreed.

Also, @CaptainCanuck - I miss your old profile pic!
Post 34 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man

Ahhh, the Chexx goalie?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
I have been selling on both Ebay and Amazon since the mid 1990's and both sites have very different selling platforms.

Amazon is extremely buyer friendly to the next level and sellers are working overtime trying not to lose their merchandise and or money. Fraud runs so rampant that you have to always be on guard and always check your sellers hub.

Ebay is much more friendly towards sellers and will help you with any situation. Every once and awhile you will speak to a service rep who doesn't have all the facts and that can be a pain, but most reps are well versed in helping you resolve any issue.

We have never lost a cent or merchandise since we have been selling on Ebay (started 1995). Present your case with honesty, do not embellish to make yourself look better, and wait for the result. Ebay does not want buyers, who are also sellers, acting this way and Ebay does an excellent job vetting these type of sellers.

We recently dealt with this same type of return ($156 order) and were able to resolve it in our favor.

As for the excessive fees, yes we have seen Ebay increase and add fees for just about everything but we just adjust our pricing to compensate. Ebay attracts the buyers we want so we feel their fees are where our advertising budget is spent.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Also, the buyer never mentioned “Trimmed” at all as his reason for return.

It’s something that this thread came up with and ran with it 😂
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
This has to do with buyers not understanding this book is trimmed, and not worth what a standard CGC blue label is worth. I disagree with CBCS going with a blue label restored. This book selling and sales being canceled over and over backs up my reasoning.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector akiva private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC I would describe this buyer as a sheister.

On April 8th this all started when he sent me this message:

"Hello I received package yesterday after it’s been held at the post office for over a week even thought item said delivered they said they left a paper in the box over a week ago but I never saw it so u decided to go up there and ask about it and apon further inspection of the comic there is some major damage on the back cover not stated in description and almost impossible to see in pictures I would hope we can figure something out soon please respond ASAP"

But as we can see from the work @poka did, he had already posted the comic and taken it down on April 2nd.

So I have him caught in a lie. I feel good about contacting eBay now.

Thanks everyone!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@akiva as said think you have a good chance winning this one so contacting ebay with all info is way to go. only issue is the 8.5 vs 7.5. hope it works out for you.

if golfmaster’s pic of the book is his own - he definitely lied when he got the book. he was lazy enough just to copy and paste your listing as well
Post 40 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@KatKomics - If you can read the 7.5 grade, you can read “Trimmed” right above it. I think CGC’s Qualified grade is the most confusing and dishonest. So if this book wasn’t missing it’s centerfold (or Marvel Value Stamp, or something else very important), it would grade 8.0 (but it is missing an important part, so the Real grade should be a 1.0, maybe lower, but it’s a real pretty looking 1.0).

very true - guessing this guy didn't though, a different colour makes it super easy to see....

Not a fan of the missing stamps etc and getting a higher grade. I like CBCS's check mark as the solution i.e. missing a page, you get 1.0 or what ever but check says presents better!

I don't know..for some reason I think of trimmed/restored as a different creature than missing stamps or center folds etc.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@akiva

Shady buyer.

@poka

Great research.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiva
"Hello I received package yesterday after it’s been held at the post office for over a week even thought item said delivered they said they left a paper in the box over a week ago but I never saw it so u decided to go up there and ask about it and apon further inspection of the comic there is some major damage on the back cover not stated in description and almost impossible to see in pictures I would hope we can figure something out soon please respond ASAP"

Apparently in addition to being dishonest, he doesn’t believe in punctuation either.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Btw, I thought restoration was adding something foreign to the book that isn’t original. Not taking away from it. Trimming is altering, maybe conservation to some extent, but not restoration in my mind.
Post 44 IP   flag post
One more thing, akiva you have a very solid case. Also I think the $300 discount is the same profit margin he was looking to flip it for, ironically.

Given the buyer hasn’t mentioned trimmed or even the 8.5/7.5 discrepancy, don’t point it out to them as they don’t appear to be approaching from that angle and should ebay question them they likely won’t bring it up...so that detail shouldn’t factor in unless it’s pointd out by either party.

Good luck. eBay may still,side with the buyer but i think you have as good a chance as anyone winning this.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Drogio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Btw, I thought restoration was adding something foreign to the book that isn’t original. Not taking away from it. Trimming is altering, maybe conservation to some extent, but not restoration in my mind.

May be getting into semantics here, but I’m thinking that in comic grading, the act of trimming is being considered as an attempt to “restore” the book to its original state (i.e. straight edge and corners).
Post 46 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely agree @akiva has a strong case so there’s little more I can add to that.

To help protect yourself in the future, I would recommend not just telling potential buyers to check out the grader’s notes but to copy and paste them into your ebay item description wholesale (formatted for readability, of course).

The grader’s notes aren’t some confidential file that CBCS is closely guarding, despite the fact that is pretty much how CGC has treated them. Post them with the book, paste it into your excel file, hell, print out a copy and keep it in the bag with the book for your own records.

While I’m sure liars and cheats will still try to pull it off, the argument that you tried to hide defects holds less water when you’re handing them the third-party grader’s assessment verbatim, which they can independently verify on the CBCS website
Post 47 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Oddly enough, the defect that the buyer is referring to is not mentioned in the grader’s notes.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@dielinfinite

Oddly enough, the defect that the buyer is referring to is not mentioned in the grader’s notes.

Interesting. That's part of the argument for eBay, then, the standard line from graders: If it's not listed, then it didn't materially affect the grade at this level.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@dielinfinite

Doesn’t really matter whether it is mentioned or not. As @dieinfinite stated, eBay will not consider information which is not stated in the description. eBay will disregard A link to an external website eBay when resolving open cases . If one wish to refer to grader’s note then one need to copy and paste into the description.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Doesn’t really matter whether it is mentioned or not. As @dieinfinite stated, eBay will not consider information which is not stated in the description. eBay will disregard A link to an external website eBay when resolving open cases . If one wish to refer to grader’s note then one need to copy and paste into the description.

What I’m saying is that copy and pasting the grader’s notices into the listing description would not have helped the seller in this case.

This is because the flaw that the buyer is referring to is not mentioned in the grader’s notes.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I side with the seller in this instance.
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Agreed. Falls under the general category, but not technically restoration (which I see as adding something to a book to improve grade, which is usually reversible). However, trimming is usually seen as a worse offense than restoration.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@akiva has there been any update on your particular situation?
Post 54 IP   flag post
597993 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?