Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

Question to those that get sigs inside books8781

Collector Shanthark private msg quote post Address this user
I've wondered this for a while but I see a ton of signatures on the inside of books and I personally don't understand the appeal I feel it's like getting a record signed instead of the dust jacket I just prefer sigs as visible as possible I guess but I wanna know from those that get them

What makes signatures on the insides of books appealing?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For myself, a signature on the cover defaces the cover art. It detracts from the beauty of what artist intended.

I've broken my rule about it in the 90s with a couple of mcfarlane Spider-mans in person, and more recently a batman homage to a mcfarlane cover.

I have since repented.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Take for example this book. The signatures pulls your attention from the book.

Yes, I'm aware it increases value. But value is only if you are reselling.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Take for example this book. The signatures pulls your attention from the book.

Yes, I'm aware it increases value. But value is only if you are reselling.

I never thought it detracted from the art I feel it's a nice edition to a book I've fallen for it's like of I've fallen for a book I like having what would make it 1 of a kind meaning a nice signature on the front

That's definitely an interesting point of view

Also if I cared about resale value I wouldn't be collecting image comics 😂😂
Post 4 IP   flag post
Lol. I can only assume image comics is a publisher?
But I understand your point of view. And I feel that way about original art work. What good is a neal Adam's batman without a signature?
The signature on the art makes it truly one of a kind.

Hypothetically if an artist drew a cover before it was published, they sign it unobtrusively. They dont plaster it across the cover.

For me just knowing I have a signature inside is sufficient for me.

But I am a person of extremes. I have a Fox mustang sitting in my garage that's puts about 3 miles a year on it. For me I dont need to drive it to appreciate it. Just having it is enough

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Never got one signed myself, but I have bought some signed. The old timers signed on the splash, or on the story in the book they did. Had some verified by CBCS too.
I found inside signatures more appropriate rather than writing right on the art. That is my preference
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
ten times prefer a book signed on the inside page rather than scribbling all over the cover of a book....that being said its a moveable goal post for me...I can buy a newer book and get two or three copies and not care if it is signed on the cover, but the older vintage grails no chance....my showcase 22 and hulk 1 have the first page signed, and I would never consider letting someone write on the covers. I think of it more as a matter of respect for the book...some of those silver grails have 2,000 or less known copies and I hate the idea of defacing the appearance and brass tacks of it all.....Stan lee or Jack Kirby signed their names before they died its just as valuable inside as defacing the cover art
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I gave this book to a friend of mine attending a con Stan was at.The book signed is a vg copy. Myself I don't mind lower condition books that are old signed. My view is the sig can't hurt the look of the book. And I have no intention of selling.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Lol. I can only assume image comics is a publisher?
But I understand your point of view. And I feel that way about original art work. What good is a neal Adam's batman without a signature?
The signature on the art makes it truly one of a kind.

Hypothetically if an artist drew a cover before it was published, they sign it unobtrusively. They dont plaster it across the cover.

For me just knowing I have a signature inside is sufficient for me.

But I am a person of extremes. I have a Fox mustang sitting in my garage that's puts about 3 miles a year on it. For me I dont need to drive it to appreciate it. Just having it is enough

Lol yes image is a publisher they release lesser know titles that I love
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
ten times prefer a book signed on the inside page rather than scribbling all over the cover of a book....that being said its a moveable goal post for me...I can buy a newer book and get two or three copies and not care if it is signed on the cover, but the older vintage grails no chance....my showcase 22 and hulk 1 have the first page signed, and I would never consider letting someone write on the covers. I think of it more as a matter of respect for the book...some of those silver grails have 2,000 or less known copies and I hate the idea of defacing the appearance and brass tacks of it all.....Stan lee or Jack Kirby signed their names before they died its just as valuable inside as defacing the cover art

I definitely understand older books my thought is more like I saw one posted on a Facebook group of a white cover Deadpool with a signature on the inside and it confused me
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanthark
I've wondered this for a while but I see a ton of signatures on the inside of books and I personally don't understand the appeal I feel it's like getting a record signed instead of the dust jacket I just prefer sigs as visible as possible I guess but I wanna know from those that get them

What makes signatures on the insides of books appealing?

A combination of reasons, with exceptions. I don't slab my own comics- I leave them raw, and I'm happy/more than willing to open a comic to view the sig. While I'm at it, I usually peruse the story[ies].
When I get a novel signed, it's never on the dust cover or outer cover- it's always inside. For me, getting the sig inside pays the same respect to the literary and visual creation- It represents the ever vanishing practice of opening & enjoying a comic. I also like letting him/her feel I'm not likely flipping the sig, whether that matters or not, or whether that gets across or not.

My exceptions; I have hundreds of Mike Royer_SigS, and the only ones signed on the cover are the ones where the cover is the only part of the book containing his work. Usually he (and others) sign the splash page. Exceptions there are when his work doesn't begin until further in, as was often the case in his Warren and Dell/GK years.

Other books in my collection that are signed on the cover were purchased that way. I'm not against them, I just prefer them somewhere between the covers.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have both. The old school signatures were on the inside in order to add a little something special to the book for fans. The signature on the splash page was a measure of respect in regards to the integrity of the book. Now, with graded books, everything is balls to the wall with the signature being front and center. Like I said, I have both.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
best part is, if you get a book signed on the inside you can still get a blue label with cgc
Post 13 IP   flag post
These responses are genuinely interesting
Post 14 IP   flag post
Kinda off topic. One bad thing about a signature on inside. If you aquire a book and dont know it's there until after it's been graded it will drive you batty.

Fortunately CBCS has a solution. They will charge a reholder fee and authentication fee and try and guess the signature for me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Kinda off topic. One bad thing about a signature on inside. If you aquire a book and dont know it's there until after it's been graded it will drive you batty.

Fortunately CBCS has a solution. They will charge a reholder fee and authentication fee and try and guess the signature for me.

Sounds easier and cheaper to look through purchases after they arrive lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS

You are definitely correct. However, I bought the book already graded by PGX. they made no note of the signature. I contacted them and even in their notes there is no mention of it.

I am EXTREMELY clumsy and I did not want to crack the book open even after I got it back regraded by CBCS. I am bummed they didnt offer me a chance while they had it to do it though. (They called last week and said they found a mcfarlane signature and did I want it authenticated in a batch I sent in)

But I would have loved to see the signature and asked the forums who it was. And see who was correct.

At least they are willing to play multiple guess as to who it might be...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
I like both. I have always had them signed on the outside because I love seeing them in the case and gold label with their signature across the comic. But I have a few that we’re signed on the inside of the splash page and I think that is really cool because they signed where they did the story. You don’t get that with the cover. However you don’t get to see their signature when in it’s in the book.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm having a writer or actor sign, I usually block out where I want the sig, but with the artist I hand them the book and let them sign where they please, it's their art. The only artist I've dealt with who went right to the inside was Alex Ross.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

you don't flick through pages before sending to grading ?

Ah .. saw your follow up posts ..

I do wonder about those who buy moderns and never open them .. quite a few new issues have pages stuck together which I wonder if could get worse over time if never gently split apart with a flick through
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Wraith

"you don't flick through pages before sending to grading ?"

As with all books and "magazines" I ignore the words. All I'm interested in are the pretty "pictures"

J/K

=)
Post 21 IP   flag post
601289 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?