Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Pressing Help Question8753

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I recently had a couple books pressed. When I got my books back I was surprised to see that one of the books had the same crease present that I was hoping would come out. Arrgh!!

There is a crease close to a 1/4 inch that goes through the entire book (front to back according to grader notes) The crease starts at the top of the staple and goes to the comics number box. In the picture it looks like a shadow but that is the actual indentation. It looks like someone pressed down really hard with their thumb. Why wouldn't a press work on this? Is the indent too close to the staple to press? Since the indent appears through the entire book is the press not "strong" enough to press this out? I'm trying to understand so I don't make this same mistake again. Thank you

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Virgincollector private msg quote post Address this user
As far as I know they use a heat press that yes should have taken that out. Wouldn’t help much with color loss. But from my experience yes heat press should have taken care of that for the most part. It honestly dosnt look pressed?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
I recently had a couple books pressed. When I got my books back I was surprised to see that one of the books had the same crease present that I was hoping would come out. Arrgh!!

There is a crease close to a 1/4 inch that goes through the entire book (front to back according to grader notes) The crease starts at the top of the staple and goes to the comics number box. In the picture it looks like a shadow but that is the actual indentation. It looks like someone pressed down really hard with their thumb. Why wouldn't a press work on this? Is the indent too close to the staple to press? Since the indent appears through the entire book is the press not "strong" enough to press this out? I'm trying to understand so I don't make this same mistake again. Thank you

what grade did they give it? Were you charged for the pressing?
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Virgincollector The book received a 9.4 and yes I was charged. I'm good with the 9.4 I just trying to understand why this didn't press out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Is it indicated on the grader’s notes?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Yep graders notes say

Notes:
spine stress breaks color
bend at top staple through book

I'm just trying to learn what pressing can and can't do, that's why I'm asking my peers. Thanks again guys.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah heat pressing should have removed that at least the crease if no color loss? I would contact them and send pics and see if they can review it that way? Customer service has been a little more helpful lately.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
That absolutely should have pressed out. Color break possible, but that should be flat!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness Did you do a Press Screen or Press?

I can only assume that it still would of been a 9.4 - so pressing it out may have improved the appearance of the book, but maybe wouldn't of improved its grade?

I had a similar thing like this happen to me from CBCS, but it was a Press Screen and they elected not to press it with many features that could of gone away too...

Notes:
spine stress some breaks color, small stain middle spine front cover
tiny corner & edge wear to cover some breaks color front cover
small crease middle top edge does not break color

(I highlighted the pressable book conditions that were skipped)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yeah I’ve noticed that also that you pay for there discretion? Or at least that’s what it seems?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
That doesn't look pressed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
who Did you have press it?

Actually, who did you pay to press it?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man I just sent it to press no screening.

@Drogio CBCS was the presser
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
SteveRicketts (CBCS Pressing) is here on the boards. Just send him a personal message along with your picture and the book's serial number. I'm sure he will work something out with you.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, that book hasn't been pressed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Color breaking lines. It will always still be there. Flattened, straightened spine, sure, but the CB is still there. Would slightly increase grade only if there are no other defects to this unknown comic and unknown grade. Corner crunches and blunted spine trauma are the worst for pressing. There is a lot involved to attempt to correct, especially if through every page on book as well.

This should give you an idea of what could happen after pressing a blunted corner crunch:

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This should give you an idea of what could happen after pressing a blunted corner crunch:

My understanding of pressing is minimal, but can one partially press a book without damaging it?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That’s as far as I can go with discussing here, I’m afraid.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not impressed with that press....it makes me depressed. 😀
Post 19 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Thanks Myke. There isn't much color break on the front, the crease goes through the entire book and there is color break on the back of the book.

I took about 17 pictures to try and show the book and crease/indent. It was surprisingly extremely difficult. Below is the best picture I captured. The book is a Punisher War Zone #1 Reprint that came with the Marvels Punisher action figure in a blister pack. The grade is a 9.4 I have never seen any of these books graded 9.0 or higher, so I am really happy with the 9.4.

As I stated before, I am learning what pressing can and can't fix. This will be very helpful in knowing what to expect. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Thanks everyone

Post 20 IP   flag post
598070 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?