Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Ebay combined shipping question...Am I wrong? Buyer/seller question8732

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, so here's the situation, I recently submitted 3 winning offers for a TOTAL of 3 (raw) comics. The shipping on each individual auction was 7.95. Now, logic would have it there is no feasible scenario where the actual shipping cost would be almost $24 for 3 low dollar raw comics, so I assumed(I know, I know...) that the seller would combine. In the sellers defense, they do not state combined shipping...but neither do I, and I always do it. So this story now ends with the seller refusing to combine the shipping....AND when I said "welp, I guess cancel then because $24 bucks is kinda crazy" they refused to cancel. They said "you'll just have to take 3 strikes" I could care less, I have been buying and selling since the wild west flame war feedback days of ebay, so I really don't care.

But am I totally out of line? Wouldn't most of you that sell here adjust shipping cost for someone that buys multiple items from you? Isn't some money better than no money?
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I would combine, assuming I had packaging large enough to hold the items purchased. With that said, it's never safe to assume. Always clarify before buying.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like the seller is just being a fool there is no reason to not combine shipping and eBay will remove those strikes because that is bad seller behavior overcharging on shipping
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert86m
Sounds like the seller is just being a fool there is no reason to not combine shipping and eBay will remove those strikes because that is bad seller behavior overcharging on shipping

That's my feeling on it too
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I assume you requested an invoice total for combined shipping. And it came back with no shipping discount.

I have to say I’ve never encountered this.

Seller is obviously greedy and unless they are shipping all three separately (which is odd) they should be working with you to complete the sale to the customer’s satisfaction within reason.

That’s just good business sense and morally the right thing to do.

If they can’t, then only pay for one at a time. And request a shipment confirmation before paying for the next item. And if they refuse to send them separately don’t pay at all and wait for the seller to cancel it.

Make it a real pain in the ass for the seller to make a point it’s in their best interest to provide a combined shipping discount. It’s just stupid of them not to do it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Seller is a prick, but, if they don't say combined shipping they're under no obligation to combine. The issue would only be a problem for ebay if they didn't combine shipping, but the items were actually shipped together. At that point you'd have a recourse against them. Let me know the user so I can ovoid them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I assume you requested an invoice total for combined shipping. And it came back with no shipping discount.

I have to say I’ve never encountered this.

Seller is obviously greedy and unless they are shipping all three separately (which is odd) they should be working with you to complete the sale to the customer’s satisfaction within reason.

That’s just good business sense and morally the right thing to do.

If they can’t, then only pay for one at a time. And request a shipment confirmation before paying for the next item. And if they refuse to send them separately don’t pay at all and wait for the seller to cancel it.

Make it a real pain in the ass for the seller to make a point it’s in their best interest to provide a combined shipping discount. It’s just stupid of them not to do it.

Yeah, the seller is just being a hardass- I asked for a combined invoice with in 3 hours of auction ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Seller is a prick, but, if they don't say combined shipping they're under no obligation to combine. The issue would only be a problem for ebay if they didn't combine shipping, but the items were actually shipped together. At that point you'd have a recourse against them. Let me know the user so I can ovoid them.

seller name is elri-569...I should have know better only 20 feedback, but they had some cool older comics, phantom strange, wonder woman, firehair
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
The only one out of line is the seller and anyone who doesn't charge around actual shipping cost. Although I don't do it myself, I'd be ok with sellers charging 10% above actual shipping costs to negate the paypal and ebay fees, plus the costs of packing and shipping supplies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, $7.95 is freaking high shipping anyway, but to not combine? That seller is being a jerk.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Call me paranoid but I always ask the seller before bidding.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Call me paranoid but I always ask the seller before bidding.

Yeah, I probably should check...but MOST sellers will combine, no problem these days...and 7.95 was high already, but I get being lazy and throwing things between cardboard and shipping priority mail flat rate, some times I do that

Alright...thanks...every once in a while i like to double check and see if I'm the assh*le...because I can be one

For instance, once I realized they were going to be trouble I thought of leaving negative feedback already...just because the option was there...
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
assuming the seller is in the USA then yes, hes being a prick. if hes an international seller then probably still a prick but shipping costs can be high.....but more than likely not that high.

hes profiting from shipping most certainly.....sellers should ALWAYS combine shipping..always.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

hes profiting from shipping most certainly.....sellers should ALWAYS combine shipping..always.

Yeah. And its not even like that works as a strategy anymore because ebay takes a cut of shipping too. It's not like back in the day where you could list things for 99cents and charge 50 bucks shipping...at least till u got caught
Post 13 IP   flag post
...and the other thing I dont understand is why when a buyer tells you there not going to pay a seller would want to go through the resolution process. This person is out a final value fee for $20 bucks of comics and 24 bucks of shipping and is choosing to die on a hill
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
On the plus side, if you do complete the transaction (1) you get to leave 3 negative feedback which should just about kill a seller with only 20 feedback (2) he probably just got blocked by a bunch of us.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like the Seller is making money on the shipping rate, and seems to be counting on that money as part of his profit. Lots of sellers do it, it’s a backhanded way of sneaking in a few bucks here and there.

I have mine set up automatic, think its a buck a book or less, which is still probably more than it costs me to add to a box 🤷🏼‍♂️
Post 16 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Seller is Making money on the shipping, I've had sellers not giving discounts on combined shipping so I paid, waited until it shipped then paid again so they couldn't combine. But I wonder if you paid for all three and if they did get shipped out in the same package, come back and see if Ebay would make him compensate you because you paid for individual shipments
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Seller is Making money on the shipping, I've had sellers not giving discounts on combined shipping so I paid, waited until it shipped then paid again so they couldn't combine. But I wonder if you paid for all three and if they did get shipped out in the same package, come back and see if Ebay would make him compensate you because you paid for individual shipments

Chances are they’ll send it all to you thrown together in a flimsy envelope with only backing boards protecting them.

Charging $7.95 to ship i would expect them to be shipped in a steel container. Individually.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thought I'd show the escalation

...somehow I uploaded out of order...but you get the point

Side note...anyone have a cheap, beat up copy of firehair comics.
.I didn't even know the book existed, I was buying it to give to my redhead wife
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson is he justifying charging outrageous shipping because he has children to feed?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@flanders

Post 21 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I had one seller not combine shipping on X-Men 98, 99 and 101. $7/book. Seller wouldn't combine shipping, so I convinced him to send three separate packages.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
@flanders

One of Arnold's best.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Plot twist-

I'm f*#king dying☠
Post 24 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
They shouldn't sell as an auction if they don't want to sell below their cost. Also, originally being from Cincinnati, I'm confused how they think shipping from the 513 is like shipping from Mars from a cost perspective.

I would just cancel and be done with these jabronis.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh! tough call...$16 is what it would cost to ship within Canada but I know we have high shipping costs here.

If you accept you have to hope they ship securely.

How are you feeling about this transaction ?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Ugh! tough call...$16 is what it would cost to ship within Canada but I know we have high shipping costs here.

If you accept you have to hope they ship securely.

How are you feeling about this transaction ?

Yeah now I'm not paying on principle

Post 27 IP   flag post
My final of the night...I'm probably wrong now, but feeling petty
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Yeah, $7.95 is freaking high shipping anyway, but to not combine? That seller is being a jerk.

It isn't. It's illegal to send comics media mail. Officially, anything with "advertising" in it can't be shipped media mail. If you use any manner of padding/protection for the comic then you can't really get away with a flatrate envelope. Priority costs just went up in...Mid-Feb? I haven't sent anything that's come in under $8.00 and have sold about 20 books on ebay over the past two months. If it goes to the midwest (from FL) minimum is $9.30 and I've been eating the extra cost to avoid my shipping prices being higher than others. Edit: I'm selling comics in the $50-$150 range...I'm not just shoving them in an envelope to be molested by mail carriers. I use the Gemini comic mailers for everything and that junk is SECURE when I'm done with it. If there is some magic you're using to send this stuff for $3.00 without breaking the law or sending bare comics then please share.
Post 29 IP   flag post
"Illegal"? Are you saying those who ship comics via media mail are committing a crime and will be prosecuted? Are you paying a fine?

My understanding is its USPS policy...not law. If they catch you doing it, they charge you the difference...COD I believe to the recipient would pay the difference. But I'm not entirely sure. Anyone here ever get caught?

@etapi65 I'm not sure what you're selling, but a single comic shouldn't weigh more than 12 oz. if packaged properly...likely less..and that comes in WAY less than $8. But maybe you're selling high end books that you feel you need the insurance priority offers?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601444 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?