Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Ebay combined shipping question...Am I wrong? Buyer/seller question8732

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh! tough call...$16 is what it would cost to ship within Canada but I know we have high shipping costs here.

If you accept you have to hope they ship securely.

How are you feeling about this transaction ?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Ugh! tough call...$16 is what it would cost to ship within Canada but I know we have high shipping costs here.

If you accept you have to hope they ship securely.

How are you feeling about this transaction ?

Yeah now I'm not paying on principle

Post 27 IP   flag post
My final of the night...I'm probably wrong now, but feeling petty
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Yeah, $7.95 is freaking high shipping anyway, but to not combine? That seller is being a jerk.

It isn't. It's illegal to send comics media mail. Officially, anything with "advertising" in it can't be shipped media mail. If you use any manner of padding/protection for the comic then you can't really get away with a flatrate envelope. Priority costs just went up in...Mid-Feb? I haven't sent anything that's come in under $8.00 and have sold about 20 books on ebay over the past two months. If it goes to the midwest (from FL) minimum is $9.30 and I've been eating the extra cost to avoid my shipping prices being higher than others. Edit: I'm selling comics in the $50-$150 range...I'm not just shoving them in an envelope to be molested by mail carriers. I use the Gemini comic mailers for everything and that junk is SECURE when I'm done with it. If there is some magic you're using to send this stuff for $3.00 without breaking the law or sending bare comics then please share.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
"Illegal"? Are you saying those who ship comics via media mail are committing a crime and will be prosecuted? Are you paying a fine?

My understanding is its USPS policy...not law. If they catch you doing it, they charge you the difference...COD I believe to the recipient would pay the difference. But I'm not entirely sure. Anyone here ever get caught?

@etapi65 I'm not sure what you're selling, but a single comic shouldn't weigh more than 12 oz. if packaged properly...likely less..and that comes in WAY less than $8. But maybe you're selling high end books that you feel you need the insurance priority offers?
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
"Illegal"? Are you saying those who ship comics via media mail are committing a crime and will be prosecuted? Are you paying a fine?

My understanding is its USPS policy...not law. If they catch you doing it, they charge you the difference...COD I believe to the recipient would pay the difference. But I'm not entirely sure. Anyone here ever get caught?

@etapi65 I'm not sure what you're selling, but a single comic shouldn't weigh more than 12 oz. if packaged properly...likely less..and that comes in WAY less than $8. But maybe you're selling high end books that you feel you need the insurance priority offers?

I suppose illegal is a strong word as the "fine" incurred is the difference in cost. I always ship priority. If I'm sending something that's $50 that's the baseline insurance priority comes with. I have seen several instances (including a kickstarter issues) where recipients have received books with "postage due". And by received, I mean the post office doesn't leave it with them but tells them if they want it they have to pay the difference. Or, you can just charge for the shipping you're planning on using and state it in the auction. So...7.95 is not "freaking high shipping". It's not even the base cost of using priority mail.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Enelson Run from this one. Flags everywhere on this. The whole "we start our auctions low because of the shipping costs" maybe makes sense for a single comic, but falls short of making sense if they're expecting single buyers to purchase multiple comics. Does their auctions specifically state "will not combine shipping"?

They're cheap, and they'll cheap out on shipping supplies/proper packaging too. They're out to make a buck by pinching pennies everywhere they can.

Sad.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You can ship first class USPS up to 15.99 oz for less than $6.00. Anything above that has to be sent either via media mail or priority mail. Not sure how much 3 comics an envelope and a comic mailer weigh, but it's likely over the first class mail limit. I got one comic sent to me first class (that was properly packaged) and that was approaching the weight limit.

As a seller I would explain that I'll ship media mail but the buyer should be aware that they're responsible for the additional charge if USPS inspects the package and decides the contents are only eligible for a higher shipping tier. Having to pay priority mail instead of media mail would be devastating to online sellers. Your net income would drop substantially and in many cases it wouldn't even be worth selling comic lots.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe we should be complaining about USPS and their high rates. I got about 12 comics from @Poka from his flash sale and he only charged $11 shipping from Hong Kong to Los Angeles.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It cost me $24 to send one book in a Gemini mailer to the UK today. Conversely, a book from the UK to me cost just under £10, including signature tracking. I'm no scientist, but even I know that £10 doesn't convert anywhere close to $24. So, how is the USPS more expensive?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Ha Ha heritage we're changing me shipping of $28 but I was living in Australia at the time 😋
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Maybe we should be complaining about USPS and their high rates. I got about 12 comics from @Poka from his flash sale and he charged $11 shipping from Hong Kong to Los Angeles.

I've been saying we should start a grass roots movement to include comic books in
The allowed material eligible for media mail. Makes absolutely no sense. Why does USPS care if a comic is shipped media mail vs. priority. In fact, they're probably losing money in that priority rates discourage online purchases which would use their services.

They're not out to screw comics as collectibles, but other media types that contain advertising....comics unfortunately get automatically rolled in.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Maybe we should be complaining about USPS and their high rates. I got about 12 comics from @Poka from his flash sale and he only charged $11 shipping from Hong Kong to Los Angeles.

Hey _ if i shipped from China it would only cost me $4 but then it would take 2 months to arrive.

Kidding asside Hong kong postage rates for US are similar to domestic USPS rates except no flat rate box concept so as long as I keep packages under 2 kg (sorry using metrics) then I am good
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector yamada69 private msg quote post Address this user
I use the gemini mailers and put it in a USPS legal size priority envelope. you can fit up to 10 books comfortably in the mailer and it costs less than $8.00 within the US
Post 39 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Crazy!! Last books I shipped was 6 books from within the US using Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail with signature verification and $150 in insurance for like $21!!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamada69
I use the gemini mailers and put it in a USPS legal size priority envelope. you can fit up to 10 books comfortably in the mailer and it costs less than $8.00 within the US

10 comics in a Gemini mailer?? Are you using boards? I can get 3 maybe 4 before it starts to “bulge”. And I also prefer to add an extra sheet of cardboard inside to protect the comics from blunt force impact punching a hole through the outer skin...seen that happpen before.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector yamada69 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamada69

10 comics in a Gemini mailer?? Are you using boards? I can get 3 maybe 4 before it starts to “bulge”. And I also prefer to add an extra sheet of cardboard inside to protect the comics from blunt force impact punching a hole through the outer skin...seen that happpen before.

Bags and boards. I have mailed a bunch with up to 10 and never had any issues getting them to buyers in said condition. Knock on wood!!!
Post 42 IP   flag post
I feel much better about my decision to abort this transaction(s) today...it continued to go to crazy town into the night

And I'm glad to hear someone else do a Gemini mailer in a priority envelope, I've used that myself...and I could see that being 7.95...and a few months ago I put the entire green lantern rebirth run in a priority mail box for 15.95. So I still dont get why these people wont combine or cancel...they just keep sending payment reminders🤣
Post 43 IP   flag post
601228 43 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?