Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkQuestionsSignatures

Japanese? Info requested8710

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I got this from an LCS where the owner had died. He was into manga from way back. The paper quality is excellent. I am guessing it is a print signed by a Japanese artist. I think I see a 96 in the signature.
Thanks for any info anyone might have. It’s going on the wall, framed, right now anyway

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats!! That's an awesome piece!!!! Great score!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DanM private msg quote post Address this user
I don't recognize that as Japanese, looks more like "A K 96 " to me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I believe you are correct. I showed it to a Japanese lady I know, said it was not a Japanese character, just a Japanese scene
Post 4 IP   flag post
It actually looks like an original ink piece. Almost like it is the inks for a comic book page. Are you sure it is a print? Have you taken it out of the frame ever? Sometimes collectors will write all the information on the back of the piece.

Edit - I see you had it framed, so I'll assume you checked it out good. It still is a nice piece!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ok - so I've done some digging. I'm 99% positive that the archer is supposed to be a Mongol given his headgear and facial features. The bottom left is probably a Japanese with the top knot. The bottom right is wearing a helmet called a Cervelliere. It was a basic skullcap type helmet that could either be worn under a larger helm or a hat of some sort. They were common during the Crusades because they could be easily made and the common soldier could afford one. Not much information to go on. I was thinking it may be a comic based on Genghis Khan that was published by an indie comic company in the late 1990's. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to fit that description yet. The dress and helmets would suggest it is based in the 12th - 14th centuries.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks a lot Jesse, love me some mysteries, and some history, and you threw me some meat!
Not at all sure it is a print, I know a little about paper, it is the highest quality, but I know little about original art. I’ll be looking at some 90’s comics set in the Genghis era for fun, someday, maybe, there will be that page!
As it happens, like a lot of us I bet, I have boxes full of random 90’s comics from independents to start with
Post 7 IP   flag post
600861 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?