Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

poss value of Jack Kirby sig8669

Collector Darth_Poster private msg quote post Address this user
1st post - I collected back in the late 70's-80's and am going thru them to see what is well loved but basically worthless (ie most of them) and what may be worth going thru the education & effort of grading/slabbing etc

I don't have any with sigatures, except for a Demon 1 I bought from the back issues bin, prob in the late 70's. The signature is on the bottom of the 1st inside page

The comic itself is in the 5.0-6.0 shape from trying to teach myself grading, but I was curious if the signature adds any value to the comic and, if so, poss how much? I've seen enough of his sigs that it's prob legit, plus I kinda doubt someone would be going thru the trouble of forging his sig back circa 1980

thanks for any info!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
It would add a LOT of value to that comic if you got it graded with a sig verification. Otherwise, there's very little value in that comic. The comic would go from being worth at best $90.00 to approaching $1000.
Post 2 IP   flag post
here's a pic of it

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
It would add a LOT of value to that comic if you got it graded with a sig verification. Otherwise, there's very little value in that comic. The comic would go from being worth at best $90.00 to approaching $1000.

$1000?
Post 4 IP   flag post
From looking at Ebay auctions for other artists between signed books and the same one not signed, unless it was a major key it seemed to be a 100-200 $ diff. I found 1 or 2 examples of New Gods 1 with his signature and that seemed to be about 300-400 diff. Just wondering what other people thought.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
seen quite a few books sell from MCS that kirby signed and it always seemed to fall around 250 more for the same book signed vs not.... I also thnk it changes depending on the book and ts importance....GPA showed a hulk 1 n 3.5 that was signed vs same unsigned and the difference was a staggering 2500 dollars and the two sold only a few months apart....300-350 would seem about right for yours
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to add some more photos ofxthe front and back, we can help you get a better feel for the grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

$1000?

I don't see many VSP Kirby go for less than $700, even for marginal comics. Add on top of that an issue #1 first appearance of a moderately popular character still playing a role in DC Universe that he created. Between $90.00 and $700 I would call "approaching $1000". How many Demon #1s signed by Kirby are out there? How many are verified?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gocollect has a 4.0-6.0 range between $40-$70 so the condition of the book really doesn't matter so much as the sig.

I bought it ages ago from the dollar bin of my local LCS just because I liked the character and it was a chance to own a #1

I was using paper route $$ to buy so I was always looking for cheap cool issues.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

$1000?

I don't see many VSP Kirby go for less than $700, even for marginal comics. Add on top of that an issue #1 first appearance of a moderately popular character still playing a role in DC Universe that he created. Between $90.00 and $700 I would call "approaching $1000". How many Demon #1s signed by Kirby are out there? How many are verified?
yes but....his is NOT verified and that's a big difference. his looks legit to me but until it is....and further Kirby signatures are rather common on his DC material compared to earlier Marvel....I do see them frequently selling with some form of coa for at best 250 over the comics value.....case in point a print sold at auction in MCS a few weeks back signed and limit3ed edition by Kirby....black and white Captain America and Bucky Becauce of what the print is the signature is accepted as authentic ….barely made it over 450 dollars in auction.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
It would add a LOT of value to that comic if you got it graded with a sig verification

Right...which is why I said "It would add a LOT of value to that comic if you got it graded with a sig verification" in my original post. With the assumption someone on CBCS forums asking these questions might be a candidate for getting it officially verified. Without VSP this comic is worth $40 to me, at most. With VSP and an official grade of 5.5 or 6.0 it's worth a LOT more. I'd probably think about it in the $600-$700 range. To your other points, yeah, his Marvel stuff sells for way more than his DC, but the first appearances of 4th world characters, Demon, etc... are some of the highest value Kirby DC work.
Comics sell for more than prints (in my experience). I've seen several Kirby books/prints selling for the $150-$300 range with COAs. Haven't even thought about it; I'd like to get a comic with his sig and something of value. Not the OMG Stan Lee once wrote Spider-Man so I got him to sign the Amazing Spider-Man # 1 sketch cover with no SS or VSP. Bottom line, the OP won't know until he tries to sell it, but if he gets it pressed graded and goes through the VSP; (assuming it's legit, which based on location of the signature and a quick look seems like Kirby's sig)he'll raise the value considerably and make well over the $250 difference being discussed here. In my opinion, which I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience of trying to track down verified Jack Kirby sigs over the past 4 years for under $1000 and typically seeing $700 as the floor for comics; particularly first appearances of characters he's responsible for creating/developing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
op wasn't asking in CGC forums...think you meant CBCS? Demon is not a fourth world title ...Etrigan is not a new gods character.If you are only finding copies of Kirby signatures for sale at those prices all I can say is you aren't looking in the best avenues......they regularly sell for far less ...find one you are competent is legitmate, buy it and VSP it …..buy from someone reputable so you have a return option in case it doesn't pass, but with a decent eye for spotting his signature its not that difficult to find a legitimate one. Simple fact is a book as his sits might bring 250 at auction best....with VSP he might get 3-5 max. For a thousand you can get a solid silver age Kirby signed avengers or FF book....just take a glance through GPA at what these books are bringing...
Post 12 IP   flag post

my only Kirby signature but im good with it
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Demon is not a fourth world title ...Etrigan is not a new gods character.just take a glance through GPA at what these books are bringing...

Typo that I said CGCS instead of CBCS. Yeah, wasn't trying to say Etrigan was 4th world, I was listing Kirby created DC efforts but instead of listing out all the New Gods or Forever People I combined. Thanks for the other advice. My typical option is basically ebay; VSPs are very rare. Nothing ever comes through my local shops and at cons this stuff makes ebay look like a bargain from an asking price standpoint. I've completely stopped buying at cons due to what I call the "con mark-up" of between 75 and 100% unless you want to spend 40 minutes haggling with someone to get it down to only 25% mark-up and the "good feeling you supported a local person". There's this idea from vendors at cons that they should charge you for the potential highest value the comic could reach over the next 10 years...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Mycomicshop has some Kirby dc stuff listed right now even for prices below your threshold …….with their own house COA buy one ...vsp it and if it fails go back on them with it...problem solved...I get what your saying about cons....I seldom buy books at convention...its like selling worms at a catfish farm....your bound to pay more than you wanted.
Post 15 IP   flag post
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=179791

lists a forever people one that is signed...no coa but that signature looks solid ask bilderhauses take on it and see if he thinks its good...narrow your risk he cannot guarantee it but he has a sharp eye as a signatures guy himself book is half your suggested price right and to me it looks right
Post 16 IP   flag post
I appreciate all the info. Selling/pressing etc is all new to me, as is the name bilderhauses. Is that a poster here?
Post 17 IP   flag post
https://www.cbcscomics.com/about
Post 18 IP   flag post
thanks Darkseid_of_town for letting me know about that. He was kind enough to look at it and also thought it appeared legit to him (no guarantee of course). Plus I found about his website and all those cool covers!
Post 19 IP   flag post
glad to help....hope you can get you a kirby signed book that meets your criteria and needs
Post 20 IP   flag post
just had the book sent off for VSP service.

meanwhile I noticed a Kirby VSP Demon 1 on Ebay (8.0) but they wanted $1500. I threw a watch on it and, unsurprisingly, got notified it was relisted. Still wants $1500 for it so I imagine I'll get notified again and again

Though it would be nice if it actually sold
Post 21 IP   flag post
Gnerallly when something like that sells so high its because a spike in interest in the character or the artist...or because someone with a lot of cash and less experience wanders along and jumps on something without doing a bit of looking around. Demon is a great book and I love Kirby's work but yeah that's a touch steep. Realistically that seller might move the book somewhere below 350 but at his price not so fast. Some people also seem to enjoy listing things at higher prices knowing they wont sell but makes their list of sales items look extravagant....who knows.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Gnerallly when something like that sells so high its because a spike in interest in the character or the artist...or because someone with a lot of cash and less experience wanders along and jumps on something without doing a bit of looking around. Demon is a great book and I love Kirby's work but yeah that's a touch steep. Realistically that seller might move the book somewhere below 350 but at his price not so fast. Some people also seem to enjoy listing things at higher prices knowing they wont sell but makes their list of sales items look extravagant....who knows.

Post 23 IP   flag post
600782 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?