Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Spider-Man City At War #1 review w/Spoilers8647

Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
So y’all know I have been hyped about this series, and wouldn’t shut the hell up about it. Well guess what? I still haven’t learned my lesson. How ever, TL;DR, I hate this book.

For the people still here, and want a longer explanation, grab some snacks, a drink, and your reading glasses.

So I got this book, (side note, my LCS’ inventory of the #1 for the series were all crinkled? Not sure if this is a widespread issue or just my stores problem) and dove right into it. Hoping to see some new tib bits of lore or even new plot details. As I got further into the book, I realized, this is half original, half copy pasta.

A lot of it’s script is direct dialogue from the game, besides a few bits of original text, nothing new, just either filler or supplementary context. This bothers me a bit, but that’s not what’s really what’s bothering me.

A scene will start, and then right when it gets exciting, it’s over, and the book is going into another scene with no resolution for conflicts in the previous scene. If I hadn’t beat the game, I would have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. I would assume it’s one of those collaboration anthologies. Example is the Shocker Bank Heist (example 1). The entire conflict/Boss Battle got only one page. No ending. Just a reference that Spider-Man beat the Shocker in the next page of an entirely different scene (example 2).

Example 1

Example 2

These kind of Jump Cuts are riddled through out this book, and it ruins the experience. If someone who never played the game picked this book up, to give that story a shot, I feel they would be overwhelmed with all that’s happening in those 22 pages. I mean, like I mentioned, I completed the game, and I still feel overwhelmed at the speed of this story. It’s pacing is on par with the Green Lantern Film.

I can say how ever, there’s panels in this book that captures moments perfectly. It’s not all just complaints, trust me. Like the defeat of Kingpin (example 3), the only resolution a battle has had in this book.

Example 3

The art is phenomenal, but at the cost of pacing. And I don’t blame the writer. I blame marvel, for green lighting this story, for only 6 issues. How do you fit the whole 40 hour narrative, into 6, 22 page books?

I can honestly say, fanboy or not, if the pacing doesn’t get fixed, I’m gonna cancel my pull, and just buy the David Nakayama variants, to get graded and hang em in my study. If your going to buy this book, I’d say buy it if your a fan of the game, or the art, don’t buy it for story. It’s just a convoluted mess. Just watch a play through on YouTube instead.

If you read this review, you have my thanks, and do appreciate your time. If you picked this book up today, did you feel the same? Let me know in the comments, and let’s have a conversation.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector billkruser5 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a very strong suspicion that this would be the case with this book/series. Honestly, I am ok with it. I loved the book because I loved the game. The art in the book looks great too. I assumed the book would skip/jump parts because there is so much in the game. I agree it could have been a 12 part series and taken more of our money so I am shocked Marvel didn't think of that.
But I will still get all the A covers. I would love the Nakayama variants but that's a lot to spend on them when I am trying to get some bigger keys right now. Down the road before the next game I will try to get them all.
I am currently reading the novel Hostile Takeover that is a prelude to the game. Its interesting so far, worth a read if you enjoyed the game.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5

I am currently reading the novel Hostile Takeover that is a prelude to the game. Its interesting so far, worth a read if you enjoyed the game.

Oh foreal? Had no clue about it. Is that an ebook I can get through kindle or apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5
I would love the Nakayama variants

Right now on Golden Apple Comics, they got the Mr. Negative Sinister Six cover for $24, instead of $60, so I’d hit that up. 😋
Post 3 IP   flag post
600782 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?