Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

What to do with a book missing a page?863

Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@matterus023 the leaf casting was noted on the new label where it says "pieces added" so it's not a surprise.

What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added.

Now a buyer could buy it thinking I will take the resto of and sell it as a blue label. But by doing that it is now back to trimmed. Kills value

Anyone who knows anything about leaf casting would not think k that.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@matterus023 I don't know why anyone would attempt to unrestore a leaf casting restoration. Restoration that extensive is usually only done when the end result adds thousands of dollars to the value.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Quote:
Quote:
@matterus023 the leaf casting was noted on the new label where it says "pieces added" so it's not a surprise.

What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added.

Now a buyer could buy it thinking I will take the resto of and sell it as a blue label. But by doing that it is now back to trimmed. Kills value

No think what? I am not following. I am stating facts here. I don't go about making things up like this for fun
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Plus some extensive restored comics with trim are bought and the pieces added back on so still extensive but no longer trim.

You've got some crazy conspiracy theories
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Plus some extensive restored comics with trim are bought and the pieces added back on so still extensive but no longer trim.

You've got some crazy conspiracy theories

Ok lol
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No think what? I am not following. I am stating facts here. I don't go about making things up like this for fun

Why would the leaf casting be there if not to cover up trimming? Knowing that, why would anybody think removing it would result in a blue label?
Post 56 IP   flag post
I just can't see the feasibility of the scenario. Someone attempting to undue hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of resto on a book?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Where does it note leaf casting on the label. Just says pieces added. Why @Swampy does pieces added mean it was to cover up trim as you say?

Resto comics can sell for 50% less if more. If a comic has slight resto pieces added to cover or even slight/mod pieces added it can be much more profitable to take it off. Especially if you can do it yourslef. I am not talking about sending it off as would cost you a lot but to restorers their is money to be made
Post 58 IP   flag post
But I can tell you both think I am mad and making this up so will leave it there. No drama

Plus it is there in black on white on that example. So if a comic is extensive resto trimmed you can get it extensive resto without trim. It isn't like they put super extensive resto if you add more pieces. That makes a HUGE difference in selling the HUGE keys
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Where does it note leaf casting on the label. Just says pieces added. Why @Swampy does pieces added mean it was to cover up trim as you say?

I wasn't referring to the Showcase 22, I was referring to this:
"What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added."

...where you specified that it was covering up a trim.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't referring to the Showcase 22, I was referring to this:
"What I am saying is a comic can be say a 6.5 timmed. Nothing else. Now a restorer puts the thin edge back on. It now comes back 6.5 restored pieces added."

...where you specified that it was covering up a trim.

Yeah but how would you know without the before pic that it was covering up trim as the buyer?

The notes don't say ''hi potential buyer just so you know the pieces added are along the edge as this comic was previously trimmed''

So back to my original point it can be misleading to buyers
Post 61 IP   flag post
@matterus023 I willing to bet CBCS would have that in the graders notes if they detected it. If someone who owns a CBCS restored book with pieces added can chime in that would be helpful.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 I willing to bet CBCS would have that in the graders notes if they detected it. If someone who owns a CBCS restored book with pieces added can chime in that would be helpful.

I'll take that bet
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
But I can tell you both think I am mad and making this up so will leave it there. No drama

Plus it is there in black on white on that example. So if a comic is extensive resto trimmed you can get it extensive resto without trim. It isn't like they put super extensive resto if you add more pieces. That makes a HUGE difference in selling the HUGE keys

Didn't it go from Slight P to Extensive P?
Post 64 IP   flag post
Ok, now I see that your concern is when unrestored books are more valuable than the resto done to them. But you are talking about the fixing of a trim job. The thing is, trimming is resto (and a bad unwanted kind at that). If you undid resto that fixed a trim job, you would still end up with a book that has been trimmed, an undesirable resto. In that scenario I would imagine the fixing of the trim job would raise the value.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't it go from Slight P to Extensive P?

Forget the sc22 for a second lol. I am saying this happens a lot besides that one example.

So a different comic all together with extensive resto and trimmed can become extensive resto only
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok, now I see that your concern is when unrestored books are more valuable than the resto done to them. But you are talking about the fixing of a trim job. The thing is, trimming is resto (and a bad unwanted kind at that). If you undid resto that fixed a trim job, you would still end up with a book that has been trimmed, an undesirable resto. In tho scenario I would imagine the fixing of the trim job would raise the value.

I know this is my whole point

So someone who buys lets say an AF15 slight/moderate resto. The resto is pieces added. Know for financial reasons or they just don't want the resto (whatever) they pay to get it taken off. Now it is timmed purple. But that is because they didn't know the applied piees was to cover the trim.

They were hoping for it to be a blue label and nothing to do with the trim
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:

Resto comics can sell for 50% less if more. If a comic has slight resto pieces added to cover or even slight/mod pieces added it can be much more profitable to take it off. Especially if you can do it yourslef.

If they're only buying it to try to "unfix it" enough to get a blue label and flip it for thousands, then screw em, they get what they deserve
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Resto comics can sell for 50% less if more. If a comic has slight resto pieces added to cover or even slight/mod pieces added it can be much more profitable to take it off. Especially if you can do it yourslef.

If they're only buying it to try to "unfix it" enough to get a blue label and flip it for thousands, then screw em, they get what they deserve

Some may do it as they just want it un-restored though.

All I am saying is it happens in MANY varying ways. If grading companies are happy to just put pieces added, then say restorers who add the pieces so to get extensive (no trim) instead of extensive trimmed..... then more for them. Just a topic of discussion not disagreement here
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But a trimmed book will alaways be a trimmed book, with or without leafcasting. It will never be in a blue label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus
All I am saying is it happens in MANY varying ways. If grading companies are happy to just put pieces added then say restorers who add the pieces so now not trimmed but still extensive say then more for them. Just a topic of discussion not disagreement here

Sure. If you have more examples it could be a great topic of discussion. There's 3 million slabs out there...
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But a trimmed book will alaways be a trimmed book, with or without leafcasting. It will never be in a blue label.

Quote:
All I am saying is it happens in MANY varying ways. If grading companies are happy to just put pieces added then say restorers who add the pieces so now not trimmed but still extensive say then more for them. Just a topic of discussion not disagreement here

Sure. If you have more examples it could be a great topic of discussion. There's 3 million slabs out there...

I know. Am I talking in another language or something here. I am saying that if a comic is restored with pieces added some people buy these to take the resto off and hope for a blue label. But when they buy these ones that have had the trim covered they will be in for a shock when it comes back trimmed. So as I have said it can be misleading.
Post 71 IP   flag post
@matterus023 ok now I see where you're coming from, the person who wants to take off the rest didn't know that part of the resto was fixing a trim. You want to know if there is a notation that would tell a buyer that fixing a trimmed edge was part of the resto done to it.

Paging @SteveRickets, we need your input.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 ok now I see where you're coming from, the person who wants to take off the rest didn't know that part of the resto was fixing a trim. You want to know if there is a notation that would tell a buyer that fixing a trimmed edge was part of the resto done to it.

Paging @SteveRickets, we need your input.

I'm 99.9999999% sure it is not noted
Post 73 IP   flag post
On a side note on here when you put say @ then someone's name do they get an alert somehow to the page it was put on?
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
On a side note on here when you put say @ then someone's name do they get an alert somehow to the page it was put on?

I have no idea, but I did so just in case Steve has a bat signal.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea, but I did so just in case Steve has a bat signal.

Haha. Don't know why I just quoted to put haha in a thread where only 3 of us are talking
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I know. Am I talking in another language or something here. I am saying that if a comic is restored with pieces added some people buy these to take the resto off and hope for a blue label.

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's tough shit, you know.

Quote:
But when they buy these ones that have had the trim covered they will be in for a shock when it comes back trimmed. So as I have said it can be misleading.

So they bought a PLOD, and then they still have a PLOD, what's the big deal?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I know. Am I talking in another language or something here. I am saying that if a comic is restored with pieces added some people buy these to take the resto off and hope for a blue label.

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.

Quote:
But when they buy these ones that have had the trim covered they will be in for a shock when it comes back trimmed. So as I have said it can be misleading.

Is that a serious question or are you trolling me now lol

Plus I heavily disagree with that whole statement. Nothing wrong with taking restoration off to sell as an unrestored comic. Their money and risk. Then if blue they will sell as the market dictates. Harsh view
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Right, and I said good, I hope those greedy flippers lose a lot of money. If they're not flippers they still know they are taking a big gamble buying a PLOD so if they lose out it's though shit, you know.

Quote:

Is that a serious question or are you trolling me now lol

Not sure what you mean here. Why would they be shocked to find out their restored book was restored?
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
I really do wonder what CBCS would do if I cracked this book out of the slab and put a loose last page to replace the missing page. I wounder if they would just grade the boom as a whole and deduct for the detached page or if they would still consider it a .5. Hmmmmm
Post 80 IP   flag post
597868 131 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.